Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:21   #25801
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I am also surprised to note - The truck cabin is in good shape, the wind shields are proper. How did the truck driver die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

He must have hit the steering wheel quite hard during the sudden impact.
Moreover there is no question of seatbelts being present in these type of cabs or being used even if present.
The loaded high slung SUV at 2.5 tonnes has transferred a significant momentum directly to the truck cabin, without sliding under the truck.

Had it been a lower slung car, it would have slid under the rigid truck chassis on impact dissipating some of the forces away from the truck cabin (but catastopic for the car occupants)

From the pics, the truck has suffered lower cabin intrusion possibly dislodging the pedals and the steering column towards the driver apart from a hard impact of the vital areas to the steering wheel.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:50   #25802
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this mangled WagonR on my trip to Bettiah. As you can see, the road gently curves. This looks like a case of bad overtaking on a curve. If you look at right lower corner, you can see sugarcane. It was on a tractor trolley which was damaged and turned turtle. The car might have hit the trolley. No further details available with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ts_d0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ts_d0004.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:42   #25803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
On reading about the Toyota Fortuner accident wherein no one survived, here is another SUV accident with the Ford Endeavour, which tumbled 400 feet into a valley and all 7 passengers survived. That is incredible to say the least.

Source : https://www.rushlane.com/ford-endeav...-12202918.html
I find it atrocious that in both the cases, (Fortuner and Endy), the reporting ends with a paragraph describing the features, variants and engine options of the car. Do we really need to advertise when deaths are being reported in the same report? When will actual reporting be back

Quote:
The new generation Ford Endeavour was launched in India back in 2016. Based on the Ford’s T6 platform, new Endeavour SUV receives bold chrome grille flanked by projector headlamps with DRLs. Its new bumper is dominated by meaty silver skid plate. Another feature which is highlighted in the front is its LED fog lamps. One of the largest cars to be on sale in India, Ford Endeavour measures 4,892 mm in length, 1,860 mm in width and 1,837 mm in height. It sits on a wheelbase of 2,850 mm, and has a ground clearance of 225 mm.

Engine specifications on offer with the new Ford Endeavour includes 3.2 liter and 2.2 liter Duratorq diesel engines. The 2.2 liter TDCi engine generates 157 bhp power and 385 Nm torque. The more powerful 3.2 liter TDCi engine delivers 197 bhp power and 470 Nm torque. Only automatic transmission is on offer.

Features on offer are multi-information display, remote key entry and power windows, voice control function on steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, dual zone air conditioning, cruise control, 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, Hill hold, and a terrain management system in rock, snow/mud and sand modes. Read our Ford Endeavour Review for more details.
They clearly understand who butters their bread

Last edited by arvind71181 : 23rd February 2018 at 10:00.
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:49   #25804
BHPian

I too saw that and did not quite understand why they are describing the vehicle specs.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:02   #25805
Senior - BHPian

That Endeavor news made me seriously put Ecosport back on my consideration list. Irrespective of gyaan of crumple zones, how lower weight cars are safer etc, it is a mental relief of safety in a 1/1.2 ton vehicle than an 800-900kg one.

I have traveled very recently on this exact same road, maybe that's why this news appeals to me emotionally.

Last edited by ani_meher : 23rd February 2018 at 12:09.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:01   #25806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
That Endeavor news made me seriously put Ecosport back on my consideration list. Irrespective of gyaan of crumple zones, how lower weight cars are safer etc, it is a mental relief of safety in a 1/1.2 ton vehicle than an 800-900kg one.

I have traveled very recently on this exact same road, maybe that's why this news appeals to me emotionally.
Bruv agree with your emotional part.
That (safety with mental relief) was my only reason to buy the Fiat Linea then in 2010, now it certainly will be Jeep Compass.
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:13   #25807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I too saw that and did not quite understand why they are describing the vehicle specs.
Same thoughts came into my mind as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
That Endeavor news made me seriously put Ecosport back on my consideration list. Irrespective of gyaan of crumple zones,
Speeds at which these accidents happened are very different, a slow rollover (from the original article) cannot be compared to a head on collision at 1XX speeds.
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:25   #25808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Speeds at which these accidents happened are very different, a slow rollover (from the original article) cannot be compared to a head on collision at 1XX speeds.
Exactly but then we reason with facts in form of pictures and survival stories.

A taller face front vehicle will certainly be better than a sedan sliding under a heavy vehicle chassis. Simple logic / observation as I see it.
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:25   #25809
Senior - BHPian

Whatsapp forward. No more information available with me...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180222wa0026.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180222wa0027.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180222wa0028.jpg

This one happened between Hosur and Shoolagiri (south of bangalore) 5 barely legal boys lost their life in the car and the poor bus conductor was also killed! (Car and occupants belonged to my home town, Hosur)

My septuagenarian father knew the dads (brothers) of 2 boys (cousins) (the 2 brothers used to own a printing press and my dad used to give printing business for his factory back in his service days. He said "these 2 dads (brothers) used to be at loggerheads for splitting family property, eventually did even separate and never saw eye-to-eye after the bitter property dispute, but seeing them in the same funeral procession of their dead sons was very heart wrenching. Money isnt the ultimate goal in life!" he said...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180116wa0030.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180116wa0034.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180116wa0037.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180116wa0038.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd February 2018 at 18:36.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:03   #25810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Whatsapp forward. No more information available with me...
Details here.
https://www.cartoq.com/fog-strikes-y...-parked-truck/
Jr Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:10   #25811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Just wondering what speed Innova was doing when it rear ended the truck? Time and again we see similar accidents, where people fail to slow down in low visibility conditions
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 07:57   #25812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Looks like the lorry was parked in the high-speed lane on the right side with obviously no indicators. Looking at the pics, seems like the Innova was doing pretty high speeds. Even without fog, it would have been difficult to stop. The fog made matters worse. I think both the Lorry driver as well as the Innova driver are to be equally blamed here.
get2bid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 13:36   #25813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
... I think both the Lorry driver as well as the Innova driver are to be equally blamed here.
Not equally. Driving fast in fog is utterly dangerous and irresponsible.

But one can't win: driving safely (which may mean crawling speed) may just mean being the vehicle that gets rear-ended,

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 14:46   #25814
BHPian

Learner driving student rams the car into a petrol pump at Kannauj & runs over the fuel station attendant.
Luckily, the attendant survived with minor injuries.

Details - Source article

VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 16:29   #25815
BHPian

Though the article, as you have also, mentions that the fuel attendant was run over, if one sees the video it seems that the fuel attendant escapes and it is one of the motor cycle riders who gets run over. From the video, it looks quite horrifying.

Most Viewed