Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 15:59   #25966
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Not really an accident but the possibilities give me the shivers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
When someone takes the indicators from a truck as signs of giving way to be overtaken!! That is NEVER a case most of the times and always misleading.
You think the guy even bothered to look at the indicators? After overtaking, on the left, a car that was already moving left into that lane.

The truck was just bigger and more scary, and simply impossible for the biker to ignore. The first incident deserves mention too, and points to the biker's lack of knowledge and skills.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 17:20   #25967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am I the only one thinking that cartoq is talking up the Tigor? I get the feeling that it is advertisement masquerading as news.
Cartoq had written a similar article roughly a month ago where a blue tata nexon had rolled over and a family of three (third one being a 2 year old) emerged unscathed.

The father was quoted as saying "...it is only due to the Nexon's build quality that we are alive today...". I didn't think much of this at the time, but seeing this other Cartoq article praising the Tigor, it makes me think. What's up with Cartoq?
Old 20th March 2018, 09:25   #25968
Senior - BHPian

Another WhatsApp forward with no idea who originally shot the video.

Gives you pause about driving/ riding alongside these trailers. I always am wary about tractor trailers as they dont have good brakes (even if the trailer hose is connected, which is rarely), no lights - ususally, and a driver who cant really do much.

Edit: Seems to be a day for WhatsApp forwards.
Got this shocking video of a Swift rolling over multiple times in front of a Bullet rider:

Last edited by sridhu : 20th March 2018 at 09:39.
sridhu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 09:34   #25969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Cartoq had written a similar article roughly a month ago where a blue tata nexon had rolled over and a family of three (third one being a 2 year old) emerged unscathed.
Yes, there have been a few posts on the "build quality" of the Tata cars, to such an extent that I would start doubting it's brakes and handling.

Quote:
Not really an accident but the possibilities give me the shivers!
It's easy to see that the Mahindra probably spotted the truck and moved to left, when the biker was busy overtaking it from the left. If he overtook from the right, he would have had some hope of seeing the oncoming truck. However bikers really do not drive to the extreme right and rather in the centre of the lane making such a spotting a bit more difficult.

Absolutely no words for the Truck. Probably trying to save 2-3 km by going the wrong way.
Old 20th March 2018, 13:45   #25970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Gives you pause about driving/ riding alongside these trailers. I always am wary about tractor trailers as they dont have good brakes (even if the trailer hose is connected, which is rarely), no lights - ususally, and a driver who cant really do much.
Most of the trailers that are seen on our roads do not have brakes on their wheels. The hose that you see connected to the tractor, is for the hydraulic tipping mechanism, where available. It's scarier still because most of the tractors (save the high end international models) in India have got brakes only on the rear wheels, to keep the front wheels and axle as simple as possible and cut costs.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 11:37   #25971
BHPian

Quote:
Got this shocking video of a Swift rolling over multiple times in front of a Bullet rider
That's a Swift Dzire, not a Swift.
Looking at the video, it seems like the guy on the Bullet was trying to outrun the toppling car through the left, instead of braking or steering away to the right. Maybe it's something with the video.

Here is the video of an accident that happened yesterday, at Panaveli, near Kottarakkara, Kerala. The Innova, belonging to the Highway Patrol collided head-on with a KSRTC superfast.
News: Article.
CCTV video of the accident:
A350XWB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 11:55   #25972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Here is the video of an accident that happened yesterday, at Panaveli, near Kottarakkara, Kerala. The Innova, belonging to the Highway Patrol collided head-on with a KSRTC superfast.
Looks like the road was fresh laid. No lane markings and the quintessential divider is no where in sight. Sharp curve too.

Any casualty in this unfortunate incident ?
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 12:23   #25973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Both vehicles on wrong side on a fast curve. Not surprised that it happened knowing the speeds on Kerala roads.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:08   #25974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a Swift Dzire, not a Swift.
Looking at the video, it seems like the guy on the Bullet was trying to outrun the toppling car through the left, instead of braking or steering away to the right. Maybe it's something with the video.
It appears to be a standard 350, the one without the front disc brake. I doubt the effectiveness of drum brakes at high speeds.
Old 21st March 2018, 13:31   #25975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Looks like the road was fresh laid. No lane markings and the quintessential divider is no where in sight. Sharp curve too.
Any casualty in this unfortunate incident ?
That is the MC Road, which was recently widened and laid. Many such curves exist on this route and unfortunately, this road was only widened and nothing much was done to straighten it out.
No casualty was reported, only serious injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Both vehicles on wrong side on a fast curve. Not surprised that it happened knowing the speeds on Kerala roads.
If you notice the vehicle movement just before the accident, you can clearly see that most of the vehicles sweep through that curve and almost all of them end up at the middle of the road. People try to take the curves at speed and when half way through, they realize that there is considerable understeer. Too bad.
A350XWB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:41   #25976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

The father was quoted as saying "...it is only due to the Nexon's build quality that we are alive today...". I didn't think much of this at the time, but seeing this other Cartoq article praising the Tigor, it makes me think. What's up with Cartoq?
OT: I think the folks at Cartoq are brilliant.

All new launches in the past year of so have seen accident pictures circulated almost at the same time as the launch. Toppling, suspension breaking off, collisions and what not. What CT has done (if our hypothesis about them being paid by Tata to promote these accident pics is True), is monetized these mishaps. Earlier such accidents may have gathered negative publicity for a recently launched car, but with such a "positive" spin on the accident, they have managed to promote it instead. Sneaky, but brilliant
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:54   #25977
BHPian

Here's one I came across YouTube recently. Definitely the car driver's fault, pity the rider was not wearing a helmet.

Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 17:12   #25978
BHPian

Quote:
Gives you pause about driving/ riding alongside these trailers. I always am wary about tractor trailers as they dont have good brakes (even if the trailer hose is connected, which is rarely), no lights - ususally, and a driver who cant really do much.
What exactly is happening here ? Was the driver deliberately driving zig zag or he lost control ?
Old 21st March 2018, 18:18   #25979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
What exactly is happening here ? Was the driver deliberately driving zig zag or he lost control ?
You really know nothing, no!

In think it was an agressive overtaking manoeuvre that went bad because he had to hit the brakes .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st March 2018 at 23:19. Reason: Typo: hot - hit
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:11   #25980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Fishtailing. A case of tail wagging the dog. Harsh braking leads to the trailer (which did not have any brake) trying to get ahead of the tractor. Possible over correction by driver amplifies the swinging finally over turning the jig.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed