Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 14:10   #27661
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
1. Truck should not have parked in this lane
2. Safe distance was probably not maintained between vehicles which is very common in this road.
Unfortunately the death was not a direct consequence of the accident
Trucks generally do not park on this road unless it is a break down or probably it was a slow moving truck. And these VIP convoys moves very fast and I wonder if the speed limits are applicable for VIP vehicle movements. Not sure how a private vehicle came so close behind the convoy to rear end the pilot vehicle.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 18:57   #27662
Senior - BHPian

Bizarre accident near Tiruvallur in TN, body of victim located in Kurnool, A.P.

Accident happens at night, bike and one severed leg found at the spot, body missing. Found at Kurnool the next day.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...y-andhra-94848

Last edited by Gansan : 11th January 2019 at 19:01.
Old 12th January 2019, 07:18   #27663
BHPian

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...-4-killed.html
Photo courtesy: New Indian express.

Yet another accident of a car ploughing into the opposite lane in a 6/8 lane highway and colliding head on with an innocent car after the driver dozed off in late night/early morning.

This incident happened in Hyderabad ORR on Friday around 3am when allegedly a Hexa driver dozed off and the SUV crossed the median, came to the opposite lane and collided head on with an ambulance (probably Eeco) traveling from Eluru to Bellary killing 4 out of 6 occupants of the ambulance. All 6 occupants of Hexa are safe.
The ambulance driver is an emerging hockey talent due to play in London.
RIP.

1. It's sad that unsafe vehicles like Omni, Eeco (Zero star in NCAP) are commonly used as ambulance.

2. There should be steel/concrete barriers that prevent vehicles (animals and humans) from crossing median.

3. Risk of dozing off in late night, early morning journeys. At the earliest sign of fatigue, pull over to a safe place and take a nap or switch drivers.

4. Buy/travel in the safest car that you can afford. Collision is a game of physics. The occupants of a better built, high NCAP rated car have more chances of survival than those tin can cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-suv.jpg  

Last edited by Arwin07 : 12th January 2019 at 07:44.
Arwin07 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 08:27   #27664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Risk of dozing off in late night, early morning journeys. At the earliest sign of fatigue, pull over to a safe place and take a nap or switch drivers.
Its a gentle reminder for me and everyone else, that when driving we're not just responsible for our own lives, but way more importantly the lives of others and of animals as well. Driving is first and foremost a responsibility, like using a chainsaw, you have to prune only dead branches with it, not cause greater harm.

I wonder if the techie can ever sleep well from this point on, knowing that he directly caused the demise of already-afflicted people going in an ambulance, purely due to his lack of foresight and stamina. There literally is no difference in drunk-driving and causing accident by sleeping on the wheel, yet one is an instant crime and the other will count as an accident (homicide not amounting to murder?). Can this guy just brush all these aside when all's said and done and carry on like nothings happened?

Its a reminder for me yet again, that I'm driving a bomb, plagued with real-world risks which can change the course of life for good. Responsibility is what counts when driving, to hell whether the car is nice and shiny, or not, its a mere metal box at the end of the day.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 09:48   #27665
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...-4-killed.html
Photo courtesy: New Indian express.

Yet another accident of a car ploughing into the opposite lane in a 6/8 lane highway and colliding head on with an innocent car after the driver dozed off in late night/early morning.

This incident happened in Hyderabad ORR on Friday around 3am when allegedly a Hexa driver dozed off and the SUV crossed the median, came to the opposite lane and collided head on with an ambulance (probably Eeco) traveling from Eluru to Bellary killing 4 out of 6 occupants of the ambulance. All 6 occupants of Hexa are safe.
The ambulance driver is an emerging hockey talent due to play in London.
RIP.
RIP to the victims. Another fatality in the ORR claiming lives. And valid points, all that you listed.

The TOI today carries a confusing graphic on the accident and an image. Hexa is used multiple times as a reference instead of something generic like an SUV. While the image shoes the mangled remains of a baleno, with a nexa cover or manual at the top.

Maybe multiple cars were involved. The report definitely errored on calling the baleno a hexa.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190112wa0003.jpg
sandx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 10:21   #27666
BHPian

@Arwin07. Most valid points. Night driving to be avoided as far as possible and cause for dozing at the wheel may not arise, IMO.
In this connection, I need your suggestion regarding point 1.
I have a Chevy Spark 1.0 P.S which has no safety features like Air Bags, ABS.
Now, I am considering to replace it with a safe car with such safety features, in the same segment.
We are two and driving is mostly in city and once in a while, highways. As such, a car in the same segment as Spark may be suggested. My budget: 3.5 to 4 L
Thanks

Last edited by virgopal : 12th January 2019 at 10:25. Reason: Removed para
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 11:18   #27667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
The TOI today carries a confusing graphic on the accident and an image.
Maybe multiple cars were involved. The report definitely errored on calling the baleno a hexa.
It's rare to see factual reporting of accidents in India.

Many times news reports say like "airbags deployed which saved lives of occupants".

Such reporting make general people believe that having airbags or more number of airbags is the guarantee of life saving in case of accidents; but in the reality there are many more factors like crash-worthiness of the vehicle's structure, wearing seatbelts, driving habits etc. that contribute towards safety on road. Usually though all of them are ignored.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th January 2019 at 15:13. Reason: Typos corrected.
tbppjpr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 11:57   #27668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Now, I am considering to replace it with a safe car with such safety features, in the same segment.
We are two and driving is mostly in city and once in a while, highways. As such, a car in the same segment as Spark may be suggested. My budget: 3.5 to 4 L
Thanks
Ford Figo or freestyle may be considered. As it comes with Solid structural strength , multiple airbags, ABS, and many other safety features. The car itself is very good IMO.
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 12:35   #27669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
@Arwin07. Most valid points. Night driving to be avoided as far as possible and cause for dozing at the wheel may not arise, IMO.
Thanks
There is a better thread for this question, sir.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/

But I will answer in short as I had mentioned about buying safe cars.
Sadly there are no safe cars in 3.5-4 lakhs, IMHO. (Please correct if I am wrong.)
Consider base petrol variants of Volkswagen Polo, Ford Freestyle/Figo/Aspire, Toyota Etios Liva, Tata Zest/Tigor. All these come to 6.5 lakhs on road and have 3-4 stars NCAP ratings. Or a 1-2 year old used cars of these models will come to under 4 lakhs.
Please post in the 'What car' thread to get better answers from expert and senior members.
I appreciate your decision to buy a safe car.
Arwin07 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 10:26   #27670
BHPian

This was yet another over speeding accident.
In a tragic incident near Kottarakkara on Saturday, six persons of a family were killed when the car in which they were travelling collided with a KSRTC bus. The KSRTC bus from Kottarakkara was on its way to Thiruvananthapuram when the collision occurred. The Chadayamangalam police said they suspect over-speeding was the cause of the accident. ‘‘Eyewitnesses said the car was over-speeding, but we can reach a conclusion only after proper investigation,’’ said an official.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le25980323.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12konav2accidgf558v00j3jpgjpg.jpg  

Old 13th January 2019, 12:01   #27671
BHPian

1. 4 adults and 2 children in a 5 seater car (Dzire/Swift?). There is no way that everyone wore seatbelt. We can also safely assume that the 4 and 8 year olds were not on child seats/boosters.
RIP.

2. The bus has no underride crash guard. What would have been minor injuries with crash bars become decapitation of those in front seats, without crash bars. It's a sure fatality for those in front seat.
I've been mentioning this in many accidents in this forum. But RTO and traffic police don't seem to enforce this.

3. The rear cabin seems intact. Had people in the rear seat wore seatbelt, they would have probably survived with injuries.

4. Had there been a underride crash bar in bus, those in front seats would have survived if they wore seatbelt and airbags deployed.

5. People overspeed thinking that nothing will happen to them and when one day the inevitable happens, they get no chance to rectify their mistake. Always ride within the legal speed limit.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 13th January 2019 at 12:04.
Arwin07 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 12:14   #27672
BHPian

Quote:
1. 4 adults and 2 children in a 5 seater car (Dzire/Swift?). There is no way that everyone wore seatbelt. We can also safely assume that the 4 and 8 year olds were not on child seats/boosters.
RIP.
Hello Arwin07,

That's an Alto K10.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kottarakkaraaccident3.jpg

Image Source-https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...collision.html
Old 13th January 2019, 12:21   #27673
Distinguished - BHPian

The limit is not always the safe speed.

Lesson learned the hard way back in UK years ago. Absolutely on the limit. Still hit a car that pulled out in front of me and stalled. His fault. I was absolved by police. If you'd seen driving at the time you might have thought it was conservative and cautious, but it wasn't cautious enough.

I've met so many drivers that think a speed limit means drive at that speed. Especially on British main roads and motorways, but it does not.

By the way, there were crumpled cars but no injuries in my incident.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 12:57   #27674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This was yet another over speeding accident.
In a tragic incident near Kottarakkara on Saturday,
I think I saw a photo of the same accident, guessing by the colour of the car and bus, and in Kerala, on Facebook yesterday. The car was located at least a meter into the opposite lane across a double white line. Looked like a textbook overtaking gone wrong when overloaded.

The driver would have managed the same manoeuvre countless number of times without the extra number of people in the car, with the extra load it would have been slightly slower and this is the result.

RIP

(Photo Courtesy: Mathew Irene, HVK Forum, Facebook)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-50196202_10216638881916269_8753984462758346752_o.jpg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 16:56   #27675
BHPian

Tell me about it. If I drive at 25 mph on a 30 mph zone, I see drivers flashing their lights/hear honks to move faster (London). Never experienced this anywhere else. People are do damn impatient. To add to it the speed limit varies within 500 metres :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The limit is not always the safe speed.

I've met so many drivers that think a speed limit means drive at that speed. Especially on British main roads and motorways, but it does not.

By the way, there were crumpled cars but no injuries in my incident.
Jeep is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed