Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 08:38   #27781
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Found this accident on a Facebook page.
This occured during KTM Orange day ride. The 2 who met with accident were swerving bike unnecessarily and apparently it skidded after hitting a warning board during a swerve. They are seriously injured and being treated.
I've said it once and I'll say it again, even though other KTM riders who I may have never witnessed, thought that it is blind hate and marginalizing - KTM riders (those who I HAVE seen) are rash and zig-zag all over the place. In a residential locality I've seen them going at 70-80 kmph and nothing seems to slow them down, so they do the only thing left to go around obstacles, i.e zig-zag.

Its not the bike, its the riders. A bike is merely an object with tyres and batteries on it. In India there are very few locations where one can drive a sports bike or sporty cars. Those who do not realize it, have to face the music should they make a mistake.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 10:25   #27782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its not the bike, its the riders. A bike is merely an object with tyres and batteries on it. In India there are very few locations where one can drive a sports bike or sporty cars. Those who do not realize it, have to face the music should they make a mistake.
Honestly speaking, I do believe a genre of riders tend to go along with a bike's personality which is why the bike too gets its share of jibes even as their masters are the actual nuts riding them. I tend to club Honda's Dio riders in the same club as KTM riders - their misplaced sense of thrill is for the worse for others.
Hells Bells is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 11:35   #27783
BANNED

The first GS 800 Accident?

Received these photos about what is probably the 1st GS800 accident. The speeding vehicle hit a parked truck on the highway resulting in this severe damage and instant death of both the occupants.

I have a video as well but cant upload it here.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-accident-2.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-accident-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-accident-main.jpeg

Rash driving KILLS, irrespective of who you are.

Last edited by n.devdath : 30th January 2019 at 11:37.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 11:56   #27784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This happened on 18th January in broad daylight. If you've seen the video, I guess there was some role played by the truck which it was overtaking from left. This was a brand new vehicle coming back after taking delivery.
Old 30th January 2019, 12:06   #27785
BHPian

Quote:

I have a video as well but cant upload it here.
Hope this is the related video.
Hickstead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 12:07   #27786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Received these photos about what is probably the 1st GS800 accident. The speeding vehicle hit a parked truck on the highway resulting in this severe damage and instant death of both the occupants.

Rash driving KILLS, irrespective of who you are.

True,

Is it the GS800 safari Storm with 265BHP and 800Nm or the regular one which is available to all. There is no difference in badging to recognize it.

Whatever the case, the Army drivers who were driving the 85bhp Gypsy till now, should be given time to get used to the immense Torque these vehicles are tuned too.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 12:40   #27787
Team-BHP Support

Cant make out whether it bounced off the overtaking truck or the driver lost concentration and slammed into the truck.

The lack of reaction from the bystanders is amazing.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 12:49   #27788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Exactly sir ! Jokes apart. If you observe closely, only one doggy has reacted while there is no response from the people there.
Even the safari while overtaking the truck, it was trying to move towards it's left instead of going straight. It could be either the driver lost control or a drink and drive scenario .

Last edited by Hickstead : 30th January 2019 at 12:50.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 13:26   #27789
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If you've seen the video, I guess there was some role played by the truck which it was overtaking from left.
The truck wasn't overtaking, it was coming onto the slow lane from the lay bye.

The GS800's driver could have easily spotted it since he was driving on the slow lane in trying to overtake the truck to his right(fast lane), however, going by the speed, it is evident that he was too fast and careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Hope this is the related video.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ISrkf16KBUg
Yes it is, thank you.
Old 30th January 2019, 13:45   #27790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
some role played by the truck which it was overtaking from left.
Quote:
The truck wasn't overtaking, it was coming onto the slow lane from the lay bye.
You got me wrong. What I meant to say was that the truck (in the fast lane, marked by red arrow) which this Safari was overtaking from left side might have played some role.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190130134132__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 13:51   #27791
BHPian

Quote:
Safari is not straight on the road in the above image ? Am I correct or some thing fishy in the way I look at the image ? Do not know why the safari driver is running in a hurry towards his left to hit that parked truck.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 14:16   #27792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Safari is not straight on the road in the above image ? Am I correct or some thing fishy in the way I look at the image ? Do not know why the safari driver is running in a hurry towards his left to hit that parked truck.
The Safari driver might have overcorrected the steering input to avoid hitting the truck in fast lane and thereby the car looks tilted in that image. But what's perplexing is, why he went straight into the parked truck? Maybe confusion, maybe inability to handle power steering of a bulky car like Safari as they may be used to the non power steering lighter Gypsy.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 15:48   #27793
BHPian

Quote:
The army spec storme GS800, was supposed to have airbags. I don't see them deployed in the above picture, a case of passengers not wearing seatbelts? Not sure. The driver side cabin seems to have taken the impact well, just wondering if he would've survived, had the airbags deployed. It would be sad if this is the case, it is akin to walking into a battlefield with the vest in your bag!
From the video, something seems to have triggered them to go off road straight into the parked truck. Thankfully no bystander was hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Honestly speaking, I do believe a genre of riders tend to go along with a bike's personality which is why the bike too gets its share of jibes even as their masters are the actual nuts riding them. I tend to club Honda's Dio riders in the same club as KTM riders - their misplaced sense of thrill is for the worse for others.
Add the RE to this list (some mod did mention this on this forum, don't remember who). Off late, too many bullet riders are into the same antics that are associated with the KTM/Dio riders

Last edited by Mukund : 30th January 2019 at 16:17.
Old 30th January 2019, 20:26   #27794
BANNED

Quote:
I won't go on to call the guys rash or even term them 'too fast', that car actually isn't 'too fast' by any means. Look relative tot he moving truck. It's just that the Safari carries too much momentum (Especially compared to the humble Gypsy) and is blessed with the dynamics which are by no ways meant to handle such a scenario.

From what I know about the Safari, and what I could see in the video. To me it simply looks like distraction + overwhelm.

We have many guys over here on the forum who must have driven both Gypsy and Safari. While Gypsy is an agile machine (By UV standards), the Safari is a handful elephant if things go out of sync. Safari moved to left, got off the road, driver probably tried very hard to save with hard brakes (Look how the car moved under yaw torque before hitting the truck).

If someone asked me what may have happened, it looks like a clear case of distract + overwhelm, because controlling a Safari in such a situation requires you to have the biggest skill - God holding the wheel and pushing the car in right side. any ways, the way the Safari got off the road, probably the two gentlemen literally were left with no option at all. R.I.P.

At the same time, I doubt if either of the two was buckled. It's a sideways hit at the end with the penetration towards the rear end. There are bleak chances of passenger survival in such a case even if there are 7 airbags. But driver survival was quite possible, if he was buckled of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Probably these guys are habitual of the noise of bursting truck tyres, it is any ways shocking because accidents result in loud noise.

Last edited by VKumar : 30th January 2019 at 20:37.
Old 30th January 2019, 22:03   #27795
Distinguished - BHPian

According to my probably limited interpretation of the video, as soon as the car enters the frame it is headed directly for the truck, so there is no clue as to why it is travelling towards that collision.

There is plenty of road. Overtaking (Under, if that is what people like to to call it: such trucks often give no alternative) in a straight parallel line is just too easy. Why should it go wrong? And yet they drive straight at the truck and hit it.

Something happened before the vehicles came in frame? Or something is happening that we cannot see, the other side of the parked truck? I guess we can never know.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks