Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 18:46   #29536
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

News 1: 11/9/19
Chennai: Violaters of banner rule to face severe action.
"In a statement issued, K.Prakash, commissioner, Greater Chennai corporation, has warned that violators would have to face one-year imprisonment in addition to paying Rs 5,000 in a penalty for each banner. He further added that the licence of the company concerned and the printing press would also be revoked if found guilty."

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...re-action.html

News 2: 12/9/19
https://m.dinakaran.com/article/news-detail/525518
An illegal banner on roadside fell on a 23 year old woman in scooter near Pallikaranai, Chennai. She lost her balance and fell on road and a lorry ran over her.
She was supposed to move to Canada soon. A young life lost because of illegal banner.

RIP.

A similar incident happened last year in Coimbatore.
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/coim...w/61796162.cms

Banner culture is a tragedy in our Tamilnadu (I am not sure about other states). Even ordinary citizens erect banners on roadside, sometimes encroaching road width, for birthday, ear piercing, marriage, death anniversary, building new house- everything from birth to death. Strict enforcement is the only way to get out of this menace.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 12th September 2019 at 19:05.
Arwin07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:50   #29537
Senior - BHPian

Turrrb0 and I both have a BHPian friend who learnt his driving on a Bolero.

High stance, huge amounts of visibility, torquey engine that is fairly forgiving of clutch control so you won't end up stalling it in traffic.. Bolero and Scorpio are surprisingly good vehicles to learn on is the feedback that I got. XUV maybe not as much, with a sixth gear on manuals, which I keep needing to adjust for when I drive one after driving 5 geared cars, and a zigzag shifter pattern, instead of the straight line of PRND that other cars have and that I prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Ditto here. I'm seeing a few "L board" XUV 500s, Dusters and Scorpios in Chennai. When I say "a few", I mean to say that there are maybe 5 such learners out of 500 vehicles I see, whereas there were times earlier when you would learn only in a small and old hatchback first. You wouldn't ever see someone professing to learn in a big, costly vehicle.

This trend could be just because income levels have risen and people don't mind a few scratches or dings even on a large vehicle. But what such people should really fear are cases like these - plunging into canals, driving into a crowd of people etc.

Last edited by hserus : 12th September 2019 at 18:52.
Old 12th September 2019, 19:49   #29538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I made 100+ complaints there, along with my dashcam captured proofs. hope some action is taken in those cases. There is no feedback on what action taken against our reports.
I couldn't agree more. Complaints made via Twitter hardly gets response and when they do, mostly they ask me to report in public eye website. Even there no response despite giving clear photos, date and time and type of violation.

My complaints include countless offences made my police persons as well ( No helmet, triples, white line crossing, Singal jumping, etc.) and no response.
GladRagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 20:09   #29539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

High stance, huge amounts of visibility, torquey engine that is fairly forgiving of clutch control so you won't end up stalling it in traffic.. Bolero and Scorpio are surprisingly good vehicles to learn on is the feedback that I got.
Trust me I know how counter-intuitively good bigger vehicles can be to learn on! I am currently egging on my wife to move on to our TUV from the A Star for precisely the overall visibility and everything you said. But the fact remains that it depends on the learner and the steepness of their learning curve. If it's a person who's intimidated by it all, a high vehicle will only add its own set of problems (no visibility just beyond the high bonnet, inability to look down beneath the vehicle on the sides...). And more than anything, the cost of a newbie's accident in a bigger vehicle will be unacceptable.
My wife learnt to drive on our A Star and she hit an Uber while learning to negotiate curves. We got off easy because it was a smaller car that she hit the other car with. Damages involved were minimal, thankfully.
Old 12th September 2019, 20:43   #29540
Senior - BHPian

Wide angle IRVM and blind spot mirrors glued to the bottom right corner of your ORVMs will help.

I got mine from Aliexpress, but here are a couple that look OK on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/Guance-Flexibl...dp/B075CTF3Y3/ (yes it says for Vento but I don't see why this isn't going to fit any car at all)

https://www.amazon.in/A2D-Interior-L...dp/B07BGCVD3T/

Quote:
Trust me I know how counter-intuitively good bigger vehicles can be to learn on! I am currently egging on my wife to move on to our TUV from the A Star for precisely the overall visibility and everything you said. But the fact remains that it depends on the learner and the steepness of their learning curve. If it's a person who's intimidated by it all, a high vehicle will only add its own set of problems (no visibility just beyond the high bonnet, inability to look down beneath the vehicle on the sides...).
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 20:52   #29541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
May be a out come of this collapse.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ollapse-105334
What a terrible story, with sad loss of life and homes. Irresponsible developers and builders are murderers.
Quote:
Ditto here. I'm seeing a few "L board" XUV 500s, Dusters and Scorpios in Chennai. When I say "a few", I mean to say that there are maybe 5 such learners out of 500 vehicles I see, whereas there were times earlier when you would learn only in a small and old hatchback first. You wouldn't ever see someone professing to learn in a big, costly vehicle.

This trend could be just because income levels have risen and people don't mind a few scratches or dings even on a large vehicle. But what such people should really fear are cases like these - plunging into canals, driving into a crowd of people etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

High stance, huge amounts of visibility, torquey engine that is fairly forgiving of clutch control so you won't end up stalling it in traffic.. Bolero and Scorpio are surprisingly good vehicles to learn on is the feedback that I got. XUV maybe not as much, with a sixth gear on manuals, which I keep needing to adjust for when I drive one after driving 5 geared cars, and a zigzag shifter pattern, instead of the straight line of PRND that other cars have and that I prefer.
[... and others...]

One learns to drive the vehicle that... one learns to drive on! Whether it's an 800 or a truck. It is a common misconception that people should learn to drive a small car. The controls are the same on a big one.

It is also common that people who learn on small cars fear driving bigger ones, whereas those who learn to drive bigger vehicles have the confidence to drive all. And too many youngster in their driving career feel that they have to buy the same car that they learnt on.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th September 2019 at 21:00.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:19   #29542
Distinguished - BHPian

6 lives lost in an accident near Satara:

Looking at the lane the truck was hit by the bus and the hazards of the truck still blinking, appears like the truck was stationary on the right most lane on a 3+3 lane stretch of this highway .

We often notice how vehicles are either parked on the first lane or the lane next to the median when they breakdown and the drivers of these vehicles assume that turning on hazards is good enough to warn anyone but that is indeed not the case and it depends on a lot on how that stretch of the road is - Fast, fast one with a gradient, apex of the curve etc.

It is sad to see how despite of a divided highway we witness such fatal accidents only because of wrong parking and improper warning techniques by the drivers of these stranded vehicles.

I still remember few years before when I was driving back from Pune, somewhere after Chitradurga on a right hand curve while I was about to overtake a truck in the center lane, I noticed a stationary sand truck on the fast lane on the apex of this curve that would be visible only when you get a proper view ahead and when you are really close to this truck.

It is my humble request to fellow motorists to adapt driving on the center lane or the left most lane on a dual carriageway that will not save you from accidents but the probability of getting involved with the above category of accidents will be lesser. You may be doing 100 Kmph on the fast lane and there can be a truck driven at 30 Kmph ahead of you which is as good as a stationary object.

Very rarely someone would park in the center lane or the first lane (on 4 lane highway) but mostly they will park on the first lane (half on the shoulder) or the lane next to median assuming it is safe for others to pass from the center. This is the stupid logic our motorists have and in a way driving on the center lane keeps you in control and offers better visibility too. At nights, driving closer to the median also means glare from the oncoming traffic that you may not be able to see what is stationary right ahead of you (Our dear trucks and their non-functional tail lamps).

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th September 2019 at 10:34.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:41   #29543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We often notice how vehicles are either parked on the first lane or the lane next to the median when they breakdown and the drivers of these vehicles assume that turning on hazards is good enough to warn anyone

From the looks of the front right wheel of the truck, it appears that the truck may have had a front axle / suspension failure and was stuck close to the median.

It baffles me how the truck could have hit the bus - at least that is what this caption conveys.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190913103402_firefox.jpg
Old 13th September 2019, 11:15   #29544
Senior - BHPian

We've always considered temporary hoardings as a risk and unfortunately this has claimed a young life in Chennai.
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...rns-death-trap

Not unexpectedly, the police have chosen to file cases against the hapless truck driver. They've made every legal effort to avoid arresting the people in charge of the hoarding - politicians advertising their children's wedding.

Quote:
St Thomas Mount Traffic Investigation Wing has arrested the lorry driver and filed a case against him. A case has been filed against Manoj, the driver who hails from Bihar, under various sections of the Indian Penal Code including section 279 (rash driving), section 336 (Act endangering life or personal safety of others), and section 304A (causing death by negligence).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
News 2: 12/9/19
https://m.dinakaran.com/article/news-detail/525518
An illegal banner on roadside fell on a 23 year old woman in scooter near Pallikaranai, Chennai. She lost her balance and fell on road and a lorry ran over her.
She was supposed to move to Canada soon. A young life lost because of illegal banner.
RIP.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:42   #29545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Not unexpectedly, the police have chosen to file cases against the hapless truck driver. They've made every legal effort to avoid arresting the people in charge of the hoarding - politicians advertising their children's wedding.

No, they have booked a case against the AIDMK leader for erecting the banner

See link:
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...wedding-108834
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:07   #29546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
No, they have booked a case against the AIDMK leader for erecting the banner
See link:
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...wedding-108834
Thats good to see. I hope this doesn't fizzle out with nothing being done. I'm quite sure finally the printers and the people who erected the hoarding will face the flak and the politicos will escape.

Is there definite guidelines to these temporary hoardings? The article just mentions approval and printing the approval details and the printers names on the banners. Surely there must be rules about intrusion into roads and sidewalks, damage to roads (esp when they are chipped to put the poles in, etc. Temporary boards also decrease visibility on many roads.

On an unrelated note, this was an accident in Tamilnadu (?Madurai). It looks like the car driver loses control - probably pressed the accelerator inadvertently. The congested road is made even more congested by the parked milk van and the biker on his mobile.

BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:39   #29547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
6 lives lost in an accident near Satara:

Looking at the lane the truck was hit by the bus and the hazards of the truck still blinking, appears like the truck was stationary on the right most lane on a 3+3 lane stretch of this highway .

This is the approximate spot where it happened. https://www.google.com/maps/@17.7411...0068561,16.75z As per people there who were helping the trucker, a chain with hook attached to it had speared into the tire of the truck with one piece caught on to the axle and rest wound around the wheel dragging the truck to the right and hitting the median. The drivers were under the truck trying to free it, and are among the injured.
The bus was braking and also moving LH to the middle lane to pass it, but a SUV overtaking from the LH prevented full lane change in-spite of the LH of the bus lightly scraping it. The SUV stopped a bit ahead, and immediately started and disappeared.
The bus had CCTV and Dash cams but police have immediately secured them.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 18:31   #29548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
We've always considered temporary hoardings as a risk and unfortunately this has claimed a young life in Chennai.

Not unexpectedly, the police have chosen to file cases against the hapless truck driver.
Quote:

RIP.

The CCTV footage shows that this a freak accident. The illegal banner was tied flimsily and fell down on the woman in scooter. The lorry was following too close behind and couldn't react. I thought that the lorry driver has been made a scapegoat. But there is a part of mistake on him in not following a safe distance.
The politician has been named in FIR, the printing press which made the illegal banner has been sealed shut.

This must have been an reason why the woman wanted to leave India and move to Canada- a preventable loss of life because of people with no conscience or fear of law and law enforcement which doesn't enforce laws.
RIP.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 13th September 2019 at 18:32.
Arwin07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 21:11   #29549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The CCTV footage shows that this a freak accident.
It is not freak accident, simply because
Quote:
The illegal banner was tied flimsily
It was entirely foreseeable and preventable accident caused by human negligence.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 21:36   #29550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The CCTV footage shows that this a freak accident. The illegal banner was tied flimsily and fell down on the woman in scooter. The lorry was following too close behind and couldn't react. I thought that the lorry driver has been made a scapegoat. But there is a part of mistake on him in not following a safe distance.
What has surprised me is that hardly anyone slowed down when the banner started waving about in such a dangerous manner.

Truth is, it's really scary to drive a two wheeler around the vicinity of a truck or bus. They simply maintain 1-2 feet gap and I usually move away from them as and when I can. It's the latest fad thanks to 2 wheelers trying to squeeze into every small gap possible.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed