Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 13:29   #29956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just one look into his pocket and that's all it takes for him to hit the SUV which swerved to the left for some reason.
Not wearing a helmet. Says enough about what he thinks of road safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
... the child was in the front of the parent / grandparent on the bike and accidentally revved the accelerator.
The father left the key on the scooter. Probably left the engine running. What for? Kids will always try pulling, pressing or twisting things. For me, the father wasn't thinking enough.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2019 at 16:18. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 9th December 2019, 21:02   #29957
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Today morning I witnessed a minor accident in front of me. I was driving in the lane near to divider and a lady was driving ahead of me in left lane and without helmet. Suddenly an auto standing on left side started its journey. It hit the rear wheel of her scooter as she swerved in panic.

Scooter went zigzag for about 5-10 meters but the lady controlled it. Although it was a minor incident, but I realized importance of helmet even at low speeds just by watching the scooter going haywire.

There was a scuffle between the lady and auto driver and onlookers gathered quickly. While this was going on, me and one other rider, both with their helmets on, smiled at each other and went ahead. We did not stop because there was no injury to anyone and we did not want to be part of crowd who just assembles to watch the fun.
turbodude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:37   #29958
Distinguished - BHPian

I witnessed a near miss, two days ago, with an auto crossing a crossroads (his right of way) as a car came relatively fast across, and so nearly hit it left-side on. The car braked and stopped. The auto took a swerve to right that was gravity-defying for a three wheeler. Neat reaction, and perhaps a little luck, by the auto driver.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:48   #29959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Well it's Maruti. People will complain if airbags deploy and they have to replace them. Threshold of impact set for airbag deployment is quiet high in stock cars. Good news is that you can get it reduce using OBD port, but you have to do that after every software update.
The impact to the Ertiga is more of a lateral than a frontal one. Perhaps that's the reason why airbags did not deploy in this case.

However, more importantly, please do not spread misinformation on this forum. I don't know where you got this information from, but there's no such thing as reducing the threshold of airbag deployment using OBD port for any car. The thresholds are set high in all cars for a reason, which is that airbags are nothing but controlled explosions that can do more harm than good in many cases. Hence they are only deployed when the high thresholds are met.
d3mon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 13:27   #29960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The impact to the Ertiga is more of a lateral than a frontal one. Perhaps that's the reason why airbags did not deploy in this case.

However, more importantly, please do not spread misinformation on this forum. I don't know where you got this information from, but there's no such thing as reducing the threshold of airbag deployment using OBD port for any car. The thresholds are set high in all cars for a reason, which is that airbags are nothing but controlled explosions that can do more harm than good in many cases. Hence they are only deployed when the high thresholds are met.
Also can it be due to the fact that there was no one on the passenger side, that air bag did not go off ? According to OP, there was no one else in the car.
Old 10th December 2019, 15:47   #29961
BHPian

Found this on instagram page of Gaadiwaadi

Read in comments that it happened in a Panvel, Navi Mumbai showroom of Kia. Driver hit 1st instead of reverse.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_201912101539262.jpg

Mods, please shift/delete post if it doesn't belong on this thread

Last edited by TROOPER : 10th December 2019 at 15:56.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 17:12   #29962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Found this on instagram page of Gaadiwaadi

Read in comments that it happened in a Panvel, Navi Mumbai showroom of Kia. Driver hit 1st instead of reverse
Got some more pics on whatsapp

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cef9a359091a4658a1195940f6b3f304.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-54389139cc9a41c3a0ac36e1e7503a38.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0c2e47c4b4734d57b1e9e14ca9e674a3.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9902cc90b4054a38acaec8058eb0bc0e.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 17:17   #29963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Got some more pics on whatsapp
Looks worse than I imagined.

Hope everyone involved is safe.

Another question is, the red car which is for delivery too is damaged. Will that be just fixed and given to the customer?
Old 10th December 2019, 18:57   #29964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks worse than I imagined.

Hope everyone involved is safe.

Another question is, the red car which is for delivery too is damaged. Will that be just fixed and given to the customer?
It probably is damaged. It looks like the silver car landed on its nose and the top edge of the windscreen hit the top edge of the red car. I see no other way the roof of the silver car could have impacted anything else.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 23:27   #29965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driver hit 1st instead of reverse.
Done that before, no doubt will do it again. And the other way around. However, never hit anything, or drove through any windows, doors, walls etc (so far!) for two reasons...

1. I don't slam the accelerator when close manoeuvring.

2. Driving is not about never making silly mistakes, it's about quick and effective realisation of what one did.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 00:30   #29966
BANNED

Speeding car hits a kid at a Zebra crossing.

wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 03:53   #29967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Thats a very disturbing video. That was a small kid and going by the looks of it, that auto which parked next to the zebra line facing the wrong way might have made it difficult for the car driver to notice the kid. Nevertheless, the speed also had a major role. Hope the kid survives.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 07:03   #29968
BHPian

Quote:
Its heartbreaking to watch.

The parked Auto did hamper visibility for sure, but the car was definitely going fast.

The possibility of kids darting across the road is something that always worries me when I drive through villages and smaller streets. It becomes even more dangerous when it happens from behind parked vehicles. One can only hope that one gets to spot them early enough and react in time. Speed will be your number one enemy in such cases, so if in doubt, slow down!
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:41   #29969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Thats a very disturbing video. That was a small kid and going by the looks of it, that auto which parked next to the zebra line facing the wrong way might have made it difficult for the car driver to notice the kid. Nevertheless, the speed also had a major role. Hope the kid survives.
That is disturbing on multiple levels.

Bad parenting: The kid was too young to be left unsupervised near a road.

Bad driving: The car driver made no effort to stop and look for pedestrians at a pedestrian crossing.

I thinking the car swerving to the right must have made the impact worse. If the car had swerved to the left, the impact could have lesser. However, I don't blame the driver for that choice, since the reaction time was very less.

Last edited by KL01toKA03 : 11th December 2019 at 08:46.
Old 11th December 2019, 08:56   #29970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Terrible, I can just pray the kid hasn’t suffered any life threatening injuries.

If you see the kid actually obeyed traffic rules by waiting for traffic to pass at a zebra crossing and looking around before crossing. If that rickshaw was not parked there the kid would have probably noticed the speeding car and not crossed. Unfortunately, can’t say the same about the other adults in the video like the rickshaw owner who parked it next to a zebra crossing blocking the view, the passing motorcycle rider without a helmet and finally the speeding Kwid driver who did not even bother to slow down while approaching a zebra crossing.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th December 2019 at 11:42. Reason: Video removed from quote
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks