Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 22:03   #30316
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
A woman ....
2. The driver shouldn't have started the bus without closing the door, as it is pneumatically operated and the controls are with him.
... auto rickshaw.
Agree with your observations buddy. However, I dont think doors are pneumatically operated. They are operated by hand plus a string

At least this was the case when I last rode on one of these buses. Not sure of the current state though, although I highly doubt that these buses would have been upgraded!
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 07:01   #30317
Senior - BHPian

A scary accident in Gujarat, apparently on National Highway 8 near Matar.

I couldn't understand the logic of this highway junction and Was this the only way for the autorickshaw to cross the highway to get to the other side.
As per news reports, the auto passengers were injured and the car occupants were safe.

2. Drunken driving on small roads can still be dangerous. The driver of this yellow WagonR was drunk and ends up ramming into bikes and pedestrians on the roadside in a residential area in Salem. One lady gets trapped underneath the car and was badly injured.

It appears that the driver was taken by surprise after he started the car by the Honda(?) driving slowly on the road to his left and acvelerates.
News articles state that a case has been filed.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 6th February 2020 at 07:31.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 07:44   #30318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I couldn't understand the logic of this highway junction and Was this the only way for the autorickshaw to cross the highway to get to the other side.
This footage shows a wider angle. Auto driver was on the wrong side from the beginning. It is an exit/turn for highway users and not a junction from where the auto appears.

The car that hit the auto seems to be a Polo. It looks like neither of them noticed or tried to avert the crash.

Quote:
It appears that the driver was taken by surprise after he started the car by the Honda(?) driving slowly on the road to his left and acvelerates.
Yep, classic case of gas instead of brake.

Last edited by self_driven : 6th February 2020 at 07:50.
self_driven is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 10:35   #30319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post

At least this was the case when I last rode on one of these buses. Not sure of the current state though, although I highly doubt that these buses would have been upgraded!

There are both types of buses i.e, with a "string" tied to close the door as well as pneumatically operated doors.

In this case, it is a newer bus and it is clear from the video that it is a pneumatically operated door.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:35   #30320
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't understand the logic of this highway junction and Was this the only way for the autorickshaw to cross the highway to get to the other side. ...
The auto is cutting across an exit ramp probably because most people in rural areas perceive all tarred surfaces as roads, not really on or off ramps. There should be a safer on ramp beyond the camera which could be adding an extra 200 meters to the travel distance, which probably seems like an illogical choice for the auto driver (and many others).

I drove down to Odisha a few times from Bangalore, both times I noticed dual carriageways being used as two separate roads and people actually getting on and off buses from the median. Specially north Andhra Pradesh and South Odisha.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:40   #30321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
It looks like neither of them noticed or tried to avert the crash.
Exactly my thoughts on looking at the footage. The rickshaw driver certainly saw the car coming at him with speed. Yet he decided to move on and that too at his own speed (maybe the rickshaw could not go any faster). The car driver too saw the rickshaw and could not slow down or change the path.

Typical behavior seen even on off ramps on the Pune-Bangalore highway. Not only rickshaws but all kinds of vehicles come on the wrong side and barge in without a care in the world. Vehicles travel on expressways assuming that they have the right of way and no vehicle or person will try to just go across without a stop and look procedure. But alas !
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 17:25   #30322
Team-BHP Support

The auto chap definitely sees the car, apparently even hesitates for a split-second, then changes his mind and barges across (as much as an auto is capable of barging at highway speeds). He was probably driving on the wrong side for a while given he enters the highway off an exit ramp, which presumably would mean he entered the ramp from the wrong side too.

Common behavior on our roads, unfortunately. Another day the car may have stopped/slowed in time to avoid impact and the auto chap would've smirked at this own 'shortcut' smarts while the car driver cursed him behind closed windows. Not this time.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 17:39   #30323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Common behavior on our roads, unfortunately. Another day the car may have stopped/slowed in time to avoid impact and the auto chap would've smirked at this own 'shortcut' smarts while the car driver cursed him behind closed windows. Not this time.
This is so true. Everytime that an offender goes without paying a price for their misdeed, it only cements their belief and confidence that they could repeat it again and again. However, reality does catch up sooner or later.
swissknife is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 01:33   #30324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
The rider, along with his bike, gets dragged and comes in the path of an oncoming PMPML bus & is killed.
This is the most horrible chowk on Tilak Road, after the Durvankur Dining Hall chowk going towards Swargate. There are in all 6 lanes at this junction and is heavily crowded at all times. The traffic is managed by police and volunteers in the evening. Many times, when 2-wheelers have to cross Tilak Road to go into the opposite lane and they do so blindly. I am always super careful while crossing this junction as I live in one of the lanes.
Old 7th February 2020, 10:55   #30325
BHPian

Well...

As per google translation, seems a driving learner youth accidentally pressed accelerator instead of brakes and slammed into brick wall. No injuries, everyone is safe.

News source: https://www.divyabhaskar.co.in/madhy...126688222.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-punto-vs-wall2.jpg
Old 7th February 2020, 11:08   #30326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I'm not trying to sound insensitive or be a jerk .. but, he was riding a Kawasaki Z900, hardly something a milk delivery man would ride.
He was not a milk delivery man, he was Milk supplier.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 09:49   #30327
Senior - BHPian

Tragic loss of life. Rest in peace.

Speeding car kills cop checking rash driving in Bengaluru.

Quote:
BENGALURU: A speeding car ploughed into a traffic police team on Kempegowda International Airport Road on Saturday evening, killing a head constable and seriously injuring another.
Old 9th February 2020, 18:54   #30328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Tragic indeed. The accident was caught on a dashcam. I don't know the source, but found on Twitter.

Name:  ezgif3769bde8fd436.gif
Views: 4758
Size:  2.85 MB

The car was not very rash as per the report, but flowing with the traffic. Clearly, he saw the speed gun and was trying to overtake from left as soon as he gets a space, but the Nexon pulls out and he rams on to it causing a tail spin and crashing on to the barrier. Maybe he was distracted too(on the phone?)

Edit:
The Twitter post has a longer length of the video. Had to trim it to get within the size limit to post here.

Last edited by bejoy : 9th February 2020 at 19:08.
bejoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 19:44   #30329
Team-BHP Support

The errant driver's fault, no question, but the whole practice is a perennial disaster waiting to happen.

I've had plenty of heart-in-mouth moments where traffic cops suddenly jumped in front of my car out of nowhere to flag down a vehicle behind me. This is dangerous even at city speeds (impact at 30/40 kmph can still seriously injure a human), but it's just suicidal to even be standing right next to a carriageway where legal speed is close to 3 digits (80 kmph on the airport expressway?).

A spectator in that article remarks 'nobody should endanger their life just to avoid a fine'. Nobody should be endangering theirs to collect one either. Our cops need better equipment and methods. Their lives are plenty stressful and dangerous enough without incidents like these, entirely avoidable, claiming innocent lives.

P.S. The report also refers to the i10 hitting a stationary vehicle, which I can only presume is the orange Nexon? If true, it isn't parked properly on the shoulder like the other vehicles, encroaching on the left lane of an active carriageway. In a different scenario, the driver getting in/out of the car could've easily been collected by a similar speeding vehicle. The absolute nonchalance to safety is mind-boggling.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2020 at 19:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 21:57   #30330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Tragic indeed. The accident was caught on a dashcam. I don't know the source, but found on Twitter....
The video does paint a complete picture. Nothing good ever comes out of a blind overtaking from the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
... I've had plenty of heart-in-mouth moments where traffic cops suddenly jumped in front of my car out of nowhere to flag down a vehicle behind me...
Completely agree to this. In fact I would say these spot checks do not work at reducing the speed but just add to people noticing a radar van and suddenly reducing speeds, sometimes to 60 in a 80 zone, simply because these drivers have little or no clue what the correct speed is supposed to be. This unpredictable behaviour can cause more harm than good.

The other problem is vehicles speeding up after they spot a radar van, general though process is "There cannot be more than one on this road". And that is worse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks