Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 09:59   #30376
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Taken from the Hyderabad Traffic Police Twitter feed.

A scooterist causes in coming two wheeler to crash into a vehicle and takes down a pedestrian as well. Although to be very frank, not sure why the pedestrian was trying to the road there.

The scooterist seems to have drifted to the left seeing the person in white shirt waiting to the cross the road, and ended up being in the blind spot of the car who did not notice the rider and drifted right seeing an open space. IMO. Don't think the biker in green is at fault for this, though what he is trying to do is wrong.
guunbuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:15   #30377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If the police blame the person in green shirt, I seriously doubt the analytical skills of the police. The 2-wheeler, instead of crashing into the 4-wheeler, should have slowed down if there was no space to go ahead.
Really? Need analytical skills to blame the GREEN shirt?
That GREEN shirt guy is one of the root causes, IMHO.
He is trying to go in wrong direction.

For the incoming 2-wheeler [who is too fast I guess], there is space to go straight, but he finds it being taken by the GREEN monster. He either crash into the GREEN or swerve left to avoid that. Unfortunately for him, that ecosport was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:22   #30378
BHPian

A lot of wrong things happened together I would say . The green guy moving in + the other scooter drifting + the pedestrian trying to do a crossing with very little margin of safety - he was trying to run across directly after the car had crossed, and came far too close to make the dash. I think he was eyeing the gap behind the car.

Wonder if there was a traffic light in that place - otherwise, crossing the road while there is a continuous flow of fast traffic, is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately that is the situation in many busy city roads. People darting across the road, making all kinds of mental calculations and hoping that their legs will get across them safely in time . And of course choosing to deploy the final weapon in their armoury - their arm raised, palm pointing towards the oncoming vehicle as a stop sign, which cant go wrong....
Old 13th February 2020, 10:29   #30379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The pedestrian appears to have serious head injury. I seriously think as pedestrians we need to start wearing helmets on Indian roads.
In fact, it was the pedestrian who was walking in towards the traffic made the 2 wheeler drift left & crash into the 4-wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
That GREEN shirt guy is one of the root causes, IMHO.
He is trying to go in wrong direction.
The green shirt guy is not an angel. But the 2 wheeler had accounted for him but crashed while making way for the pedestrian, who was closing in towards the edge of the lane.

Anyway, I would pin blame in this order:
1) 2 wheeler must have slowed on seeing that the pedestrian had blocked his way
2) A pedestrian trying to get into moving traffic and has blocked 1 lane.
3) Green shirt guy trying to go via the wrong way by blocking 0.75 lane
4) Traffic police, trying to merge 4 lanes into 2.5 lanes
5) Rightmost lane traffic instead of turning right, trying to straight.
6) Municipality for leaving dirt/dust on the left-most lane and making it un-usable + no lane markings.
7) Tata ace blocking 0.5 lane.

I feel proper lane markings would have benefitted all. Instead, everyone seem to have drawn their own imaginary lines.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th February 2020 at 10:45.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:46   #30380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If the police blame the person in green shirt, I seriously doubt the analytical skills of the police. The 2-wheeler, instead of crashing into the 4-wheeler, should have slowed down if there was no space to go ahead.
Agreed. The green shirt person was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's trying to go wrong side which is an offence no doubt but that doesn't make him a reason for this accident.

The rider (who crashed) switched lanes because of the pedestrian on the road. Even the Creta driver alone could've avoided this situation instead of just bulldozing through. The scooter rider was just beside the Creta's front door, and not in any blind spot, before (and at the time of) the crash. I fail to understand how a driver wouldn't take notice of something as large as a 2-wheeler driving so close and parallel to them. With such inattentive driving, he would've ran over the pedestrian too.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:02   #30381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

At the moment of the accident, the owner of the car abandoned the vehicle and fled from the scene and also removed the registration plates of the vehicle so that it cannot be traced back to him. However, a few hours later, the owner returned to the location and posed with the severely damaged kiosk. He also posted the pictures on the social media platform. Soon the post became viral and had to take it down.
What a smart guy man. I wonder how long he'll take to realise that the car can still be traced to him using the VIN. What kind of an extra special nutcase do you have to be to crash into something and then pose at that site?
Old 13th February 2020, 11:59   #30382
Senior - BHPian

16 killed in Agra-Lucknow Expressway accident.

At least 16 people were killed and around 20 people injured in a road accident on Agra-Lucknow Expressway after a private bus ferrying
40 passengers from the national capital to Bihar hit the rear of long haul truck late night on Wednesday.

According to sources involved in the rescue operation, after suffering deflated tyre on the expressway, driver of a truck halted the vehicle on the extreme right lane to change the stepney, following which a bus coming from behind hit the rear of the truck.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t/74109200.cms

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 13th February 2020 at 12:00.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:17   #30383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
after suffering deflated tyre on the expressway, driver of a truck halted the vehicle on the extreme right lane to change the stepney, following which a bus coming from behind hit the rear of the truck.
Give us expressways of 20 lanes that is barricaded from both the sides devoid of any local traffic or pedestrians and our trucks will continue to hog the lane next to the median. This practice has become so comfortable with all types of vehicles that many new drivers often rely on this as a norm and end up driving next to the median!

There is a popular bus driver employed with one of the largest private operators in Karnataka who has a huge fan following on YouTube due to the videos that he regularly uploads. I watch them too. In one such video, he is seen driving on the Mumbai Pune expressway hogging the rightmost lane and when one of the viewers commented about it, he responded that for them lane discipline is not important as long as they are efficient and remain time bound!

This is the attitude of even B11R and Scania drivers who can very well drive on the center or leftmost lane and make quick lane changes with ease maintaining good momentum. So, I would not be surprised that the truck stopped right on the fast lane, ran around to collect some stones and placed them behind it with Hazards on to replace the flat tire.

This is one of the many reasons why if there is a chance, I will always stick to the leftmost or the center lane because a broken down vehicle in the rightmost lane means that vehicle is blocking exactly that lane fully while a broken down vehicle on the left lane means it still has some shoulder to pull aside and park.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:40   #30384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Give us expressways of 20 lanes that is barricaded from both the sides devoid of any local traffic or pedestrians and our trucks will continue to hog the lane next to the median. This practice has become so comfortable with all types of vehicles that many new drivers often rely on this as a norm and end up driving next to the median!...
Make it 200 or 2000, we'll end up with the same result. When the left lane gets occupied by all and sundry, including the wrong-side drivers/riders, the heavy vehicles are forced to stay on the right most lane. This becomes habitual, and gets passed on to newer drivers. A total shakedown of the setup is needed - more awareness programmes, more enforcement of lane discipline and a willingness to improve ourselves.

Quote:
...I would not be surprised that the truck stopped right on the fast lane, ran around to collect some stones and placed them behind it with Hazards on to replace the flat tire.
The driver would've collected some stones and twigs/small branches and used them liberally. Hazards are so "unsanskari"
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:01   #30385
Senior - BHPian

Week doesnot seem to favor politicians/VIP's in Karnataka. Another accident involving a ministers son. The car is involved in accident in GLC coupe and 2 people have lost their lives- a pedestrian and a passenger in car seater at front. The car is registered in name of National Public School!

https://kannada.oneindia.com/news/ba...ry-185035.html

https://www.newskarnataka.com/bangal...on-under-radar
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

Last edited by PrideRed : 13th February 2020 at 13:04.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:13   #30386
BHPian

Quote:
As per latest amendments sought by such "2 Wheeler Riders' Welfare Association", they shall be exempted from applying brakes to slow down in such situations and instead find the smallest of gaps and sneak through by blipping their throttle and changing lanes. At the same time, the other vehicles including cars and trucks are mandated to make way for such 2 wheelers no matter what and not only be responsible drivers but also exhibit example of a good human being who cares for others' lives!
Sirji, though your comments are filled with sarcasm it really sounds stupid to make a 'generalized' statement about two wheeler to the above accident. If the green shirt guy had few minutes of patients to wait few inches behind, even if he wanted to take a wrong side this accident could have been easily avoided.

A bad driver is a bad driver whether he is sitting on a two wheeler or even in a car! PEACE!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:22   #30387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Sirji, though your comments are filled with sarcasm it really sounds stupid to make a 'generalized' statement about two wheeler to the above accident.
I had to mitigate such accusations and hence I italicised 2 wheeler riders with such in my post. And yes, I am indeed sarcastic aiming my point towards such 2 wheeler riders only.

Quote:
A bad driver is a bad driver whether he is sitting on a two wheeler or even in a car! PEACE!
Incidentally here it was the 2 wheeler that was caught in the act. If it was a cab, I am sure I would have tagged the Taxi Chaalakara Sangha for sure.

PS : I ride a 2 wheeler too but I don't ride like such 2 wheeler riders and try to save my precious time .

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2020 at 13:24.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:37   #30388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I would not be surprised that the truck stopped right on the fast lane, ran around to collect some stones and placed them behind it with Hazards on to replace the flat tire.
Most trucks I see broken down on the fast lane do not have even a modicum of working electricals on them. I haven't seen working lights, brake lights or turn indicators on most of them. But when broken down, they do display concern for the well-being of oncoming motorists by inserting a small branch with green leaves onto their truck to warn them of the stopped truck. Once they've planted these high-visibility vegetative warning devices, the truckers usually retreat to the side of the highway and they wait for the inevitable to happen with the absolute cherubic innocence of puppies.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:40   #30389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Week doesnot seem to favor politicians/VIP's in Karnataka. Another accident involving a ministers son. The car is involved in accident in GLC coupe and 2 people have lost their lives- a pedestrian and a passenger in car seater at front. The car is registered in name of National Public School!
Of course some random other chap is supposedly at the wheel, not mantriji ka laadla beta. It is amazing how quickly drivers, friends etc come forward to take the rap the moment a film star, politician or industrialist's son etc are involved in an accident.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:51   #30390
BHPian

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ught-cctv.html

This is a type of accident that is most common in India. A two-wheeler overtaking from the left runs out of space when a larger vehicle makes a left turn.

In this case, the accident involves a bus, and the rider lost his life.

The bikers paid the price for their carelessness. However, I have observed that buses usually turn without giving proper signals (not sure about this case) while entering or exiting a bus stand. I think speed breakers should be placed near bus stands to slow down buses.

The news article mentions that the driver and the conductor were arrested. Does anyone know what could be the grounds for arresting the conductor of the bus in this case? In other words, can anyone other than the driver be held accountable even if the vehicle was driven in a manner that endangered other road users?

Last edited by KL01toKA03 : 13th February 2020 at 13:55.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed