Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 14:10   #30391
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ught-cctv.html

This is a type of accident that is most common in India. A two-wheeler overtaking from the left runs out of space when a larger vehicle makes a left turn.

In this case, the accident involves a bus, and the rider lost his life.
This happened infront of Coimbatore Gandhipuram bus stand. Not sure whose mistake this is. At least, the bikers should have sensed that the bus might enter the bus stand. Moreover, I guess the biker was in a blind spot of the driver.
In general, bikers are very restless at least in Coimbatore. While taking left turns in some corner, they try to squeeze in the gap available in the corner. Many a times I had to brake to avoid hit from bikers.

But poor guy, hardly 18 years. Had lots of time to enjoy machines. May the departed soul attain 'moksha'.

Last edited by deemash : 13th February 2020 at 14:17.
Old 13th February 2020, 14:10   #30392
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ught-cctv.html

This is a type of accident that is most common in India. A two-wheeler overtaking from the left runs out of space when a larger vehicle makes a left turn.

In a related article in Tamil, I read that the bus was entering into the bus stand from the road across (Cross cut road) in Coimbatore. In my opinion, the bus driver was more to be blamed as he appears to be driving faster than what one is expected while entering into a bus stand. More over the bus was taking a turn almost from the centre of the road without minding about anyone coming on its side. Initially I thought, the platform on the side of the road may be so sharp forcing the bus driver to take the turn from far; but when looked at the video again, that was not the case. The barricade at the turn could also be a culprit.

The article I read mentioned that the two wheeler riders had survived because of wearing helmets, but anyone surviving from such accident is more than a miracle.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th February 2020 at 14:37. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 13th February 2020, 14:48   #30393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
This happened infront of Coimbatore Gandhipuram bus stand. Not sure whose mistake this is. At least, the bikers should have sensed that the bus might enter the bus stand. Moreover, I guess the biker was in a blind spot of the driver.
In general, bikers are very restless at least in Coimbatore. While taking left turns in some corner, they try to squeeze in the gap available in the corner. Many a times I had to brake to avoid hit from bikers.

But poor guy, hardly 18 years. Had lots of time to enjoy machines. May the departed soul attain 'moksha'.
Oh dear, that video is not for the squeamish

The bus driver should have indicated. I don't think his speed was a factor. He could also have checked for the "usual" squid coming on the left.

Doesn't change the fact that the squid should not have been there; should not have been overtaking on the left.

Sure, I am human and I do have feelings, I'm sorry for this guy, and more particularly for his family, But one could be hard-hearted and say one less squid. One less guy (and they come in female form too these days) who expected the world to revolve around him and paid the highest price when it didn't. If only others would see and learn.

Very sad. but another case of...

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 15:11   #30394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The bus driver should have indicated. I don't think his speed was a factor. He could also have checked for the "usual" squid coming on the left.

Doesn't change the fact that the squid should not have been there; should not have been overtaking on the left.
Unfortunate accident. I doubt if the bus driver could have spotted the 2-wheeler in his ORVM. The biker could have been in blind spot of the bus driver. Also, I have rarely seen buses (Govt owned or otherwise) having working rear bulbs or drivers who use them to indicate turns.

Sorry for Thad sir, how do you say that the biker was overtaking the bus from left? Maybe that was his intention, but one can never call it overtaking until the maneuver is executed/completed. He could well have been sticking to left lane for awhile unaware that the bus was about to do a left turn!

Last edited by srvm : 13th February 2020 at 15:12.
Old 13th February 2020, 15:34   #30395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
....He could well have been sticking to left lane for awhile unaware that the bus was about to do a left turn!
Possible, but unlikely. From the video, it appears the two-wheeler was going faster than the turning bus, so it does look like a case of going for a closing gap.

Even if your theory is true, a rider who can miss an entire bus over their shoulder is still a mortal danger to themselves and any unfortunate passenger riding with them.

A bus can't really sneak up unnoticed like a bike can.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 15:37   #30396
Distinguished - BHPian

There seems to have been a lone rider (the one donning the black helmet). He can be seen wriggling out from under the bus immediately in the aftermath; he then removes his helmet and jacket and limps away...assuming there were no internal injuries, he seems to have survived. The 2 wheeler bore the brunt of the bus' skidding front tyre, thereby sparing the rider.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 15:56   #30397
BHPian

Quote:
In other words, can anyone other than the driver be held accountable even if the vehicle was driven in a manner that endangered other road users?
I think both the bus driver as well as the rider is to blame, more so the scooter rider. The bus could not take a sharp turn so the driver may have taken a wider turn but he should have slowed down and taken a look into the left rvm.

Inspite of doing all this I am inclined to think that the scooter rider was too fast to react in time and he would have crashed into the bus anyway. And it does seem that the rider comes out from under the bus on his own two feet and walks away. I hope that's the case.

For a moment at the start when he just crashes against the bus it seems either his helmet comes off or there is someone else sitting in front of him.

This has happened to me too - not exactly this but a similar scenario. You want to turn left and you have ensured no one is close enough for you to stop the turn and when you look for the last time and start the turn, out of nowhere appears a fast riding scooter (mostly these squid ride on scooters) and you have to step on the brake.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 16:13   #30398
BHPian

Does anyone know why the conductor was arrested? What could be the possible legal grounds?
Old 13th February 2020, 16:19   #30399
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Did the pillion rider pass away? The rider seems to be shaken and would have some injuries but since they extracted the pillion form under the bus without the bus moving I thought he would have survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Dont think the speed of the bus was a factor? What about him turning into the bus stand from almost the middle of the road?

I know members here are generally well off but let's get off our high horses for the moment. All I see are two guys on a scooter not going fast at all. The rider is actually wearing a helmet if I am not wrong. He is not weaving in and out of traffic and more importantly there is absolutely no proof of the fact that he was overtaking.

Maybe you should consider that heavy vehicles also have a responsibility to make sure the coast is clear before they cut across lanes.

In fact I have seen conductors standing near the floorboard sometimes which helps them inform the driver of any dangers during close sharp turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Even if your theory is true, a rider who can miss an entire bus over their shoulder is still a mortal danger to themselves and any unfortunate passenger riding with them.

A bus can't really sneak up unnoticed like a bike can.
This is a more balanced view of the picture here. At most we can accuse the rider of being unaware of the bus turning. It's not like every single one of us is a perfect driver. We are still learning.

Also, cagers need to understand that on a bike the error margin is relatively less compared to a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There seems to have been a lone rider (the one donning the black helmet). He can be seen wriggling out from under the bus immediately in the aftermath; he then removes his helmet and jacket and limps away...
There seem to be two people on the bike to me. The rider limps away and comes back for some one. Also, all the passengers seem to be near the wheel even after the first guy limps away.

Last edited by JithinR : 13th February 2020 at 16:34.
Old 13th February 2020, 16:30   #30400
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have rarely seen buses (Govt owned or otherwise) having working rear bulbs or drivers who use them to indicate turns.
You said it right. These are very very old buses, may be more than 20 years and still running on the roads. These mostly does not even have brake lights which is actually much danger for fellow road users.
The light case itself will be covered with mud and dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did the pillion rider pass away? T
The pillion rider is in critical stage and struggling for his life in the hospital.
deemash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 17:32   #30401
BHPian

Quote:

Well its a classic case of negligence on part of both the Bus driver and as well as the scooter rider, but, more so on the scooter rider. Its a bus stand entrance and obviously all the buses will enter, should have been more vigilant.

Quote:
'.
Quote:

I know members here are generally well off but let's get off our high horses for the moment. All I see are two guys on a scooter not going fast at all. The rider is actually wearing a helmet if I am not wrong. He is not weaving in and out of traffic and more importantly there is absolutely no proof of the fact that he was overtaking.
As a two wheeler rider I'm more vigilant around buses especially if there is a bus stand/ stop visible. If I'm trying to move ahead of a vehicle (fast or slow doesn't matter) in my book it is overtaking and I need to make sure if I can complete my move safely or not. I can trust and rely on my skills and my vehicle, wrong to assume other person to be responsible for my safety. As per my observation, the scooter was too fast (relatively) for the driver to see and react. In fact the driver took couple of seconds to stop, probably after someone shouted. I assume that the rider was in the blind spot and was not spotted.

Was trying to search the location in google to understand more about the place, found an video in Youtube. Almost all the buses are entering from middle of the road, seems left most lane is not desirable (or too sharp) by drivers for turning / entering inside the bus stand. Interestingly, in the video around 1.12-1.14 you can see almost a similar incident happening.
Jerryaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 17:55   #30402
BHPian

Quote:
This is a more balanced view of the picture here. At most we can accuse the rider of being unaware of the bus turning. It's not like every single one of us is a perfect driver. We are still learning.

Also, cagers need to understand that on a bike the error margin is relatively less compared to a car.
It seems you missed this part of my post. I have already stated the rider should have been riding more defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
As a two wheeler rider I'm more vigilant around buses especially if there is a bus stand/ stop visible. If I'm trying to move ahead of a vehicle (fast or slow doesn't matter) in my book it is overtaking and I need to make sure if I can complete my move safely or not.
Any guy with an ounce of common sense and self preservation instinct is going to do the same (this part is just lacking in India).

I will repeat myself for your benefit. I see no proof that the biker was overtaking (or trying to get ahead of anyone). We should consider all possibilities including that the bus driver braked in the centre lane and tried to enter the bus stand without checking his corner (Yes yes the bike guy should have been more aware. I already know that dude. Read the first part of my response again)

Quote:
As per my observation, the scooter was too fast (relatively) for the driver to see and react.
You could also say that the bus driver turned in so carelessly that he couldn't react in time. Obviously, with his bigger vehicle he doesn't have to care.

Quote:
Was trying to search the location in google to understand more about the place, found an video in Youtube. Almost all the buses are entering from middle of the road, seems left most lane is not desirable (or too sharp) by drivers for turning / entering inside the bus stand. Interestingly, in the video around 1.12-1.14 you can see almost a similar incident happening.
This just shows that the road design at that place is horrible. Again, biker can be asked to drive more defensively. Nothing more.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 18:38   #30403
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't want to watch the video again. What ever I may think of bikers' skills in general, I don't want to see a poor guy being minced by a bus wheel again.
Quote:
Thad sir, how do you say that the biker was overtaking the bus from left? Maybe that was his intention, but one can never call it overtaking until the maneuver is executed/completed. He could well have been sticking to left lane for awhile unaware that the bus was about to do a left turn!
I may be applying "typical behaviour" filter to this, but it seems to me that he should never have been there at all.
Quote:
Dont think the speed of the bus was a factor? What about him turning into the bus stand from almost the middle of the road?
No, I don't think the speed was a factor. All long vehicles need the space to turn. Another typical biker mistake: cutting inside a turning vehicle, long or short.
Quote:
... there is absolutely no proof of the fact that he was overtaking.
Most likely he was, and, anyway, he should not have been on the left of, and close to, the bus. Unless the bus was overtaking him, which would change everything, but seems highly unlikely, as the bus driver would have seen him.
Quote:
Maybe you should consider that heavy vehicles also have a responsibility to make sure the coast is clear before they cut across lanes.
Of course they do. Personal opinion only: that biker either knew or didn't care. He simply thought he'd make it. Nothing will happen.
Quote:
In fact I have seen conductors standing near the floorboard sometimes which helps them inform the driver of any dangers during close sharp turns.
That occurred to me too. Could have saved a life here. But... say he had signalled to the biker? Would he have taken notice? I guess I go too far into supposition now.
Quote:
You are very generous. I see an idiot throwing his life away. And causing grief to the bus driver.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 19:00   #30404
BHPian

Quote:
It appears to me the bus stand you have mentioned is 'Central Bust Stand' and not the 'Town Bus Stand' where the incident had occurred. You can see the Greenish 'Sri Ganapathy Silks' beside the turning bus in the video. The main entrance of Town Bus Stand is opposite to this Textile Showroom and adjacent to the merging roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-inkedgandhipuram_li.jpg  

Old 14th February 2020, 02:29   #30405
BHPian

I watched the video over and over before trying to make up my mind. My inference is, neither the bus driver nor the biker had an idea of what the other guy was up to.

You'll notice that there are a couple of rickshaws parked ahead after the left turn. That's what the biker aimed at avoiding post overtaking the bus or crossing that left turn and if you watch the video carefully, you'll notice a slight curved path towards the right lane, the rider took before he came under the wheel of the bus.

The position of the bus, clearly seems to be on the first lane. As far as the bus driver is concerned, he should have or may have taken a look behind. But considering the point at which he has turned the wheel to the left, the biker seems to have snuck up on him. There's a video by KSRTC that shows buses have massive blind spots, especially the positions where this biker would have been before the accident.

Biker's mistake? Should have overtaken from the right. Maybe paid more attention towards the bus.
Bus driver's mistake? Should have pressed the bus to the left as much as possible before actually making the turn, which I feel was definitely possible in the above case.

I think there's no prejudice in this forum towards any of the income groups of society . Majority of two wheelers tend to disregard rules, it's a known fact. Even those who wear helmets, just like drivers wearing seatbelts. Secondly, don't forget the prevalent attitude in our country, whatever the cause/outcome of the accident, it's the 'bigger' vehicle at fault and hence you'd find most 2 wheelers flouting rules and being careless.

Quote:

Last edited by TROOPER : 14th February 2020 at 02:33.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed