Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 12:25   #30856
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Sometimes people also dont adjust their driving position correctly. Polo, for its diminutive cabin size, has a good range of adjustment for seat as well as steering wheel. If your feet arent placed correctly, there could be danger.
Old 18th June 2020, 14:03   #30857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
How not to drive your brand new Polo after taking delivery
40-50% depreciation hit even before leaving the showroom. I believe asking for help would’ve been less embarrassing(If at all) than telling people about this accident.
Raghav96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:30   #30858
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Sometimes people also dont adjust their driving position correctly. Polo, for its diminutive cabin size, has a good range of adjustment for seat as well as steering wheel. If your feet aren't placed correctly, there could be danger.
Exactly my view too. When one wears a flip flop and drive a car, the right foot from brake may slip and fall on accelerator. Simultaneously clutch is being disengaged after slotting 1st gear from neutral. It happened to me last week. Add to this scenario I had a very close sitting position to steering and uncomfortable seat recline position too. Luckily it happened on an open empty space so no harm to anyone. Adding to my safety list: I shouldn't drive RE & a car with flip flops.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:56   #30859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, what a sad day .

But it looks like someone who never actually drove before! How? How?
It's not as uncommon as we may think(I.e. buying a car first, then learning to drive).
Jogged my memory a bit , can recall 2 incidents at work, the 1st person drove back the car into another one, another one rolled back from the ramp (fortunately not much damage in either case). Then there was one in a parking lot where a gentleman grazed his new car against another one. Most recent one was where a new car's fog lamp paid the price when the driver had no idea what was the turning radius of his car.

Last edited by RaviK : 18th June 2020 at 17:57. Reason: Spell check
Old 18th June 2020, 20:36   #30860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever maybe the case. Just glad that this happened almost within the showroom premises and not on the street, where the driver could have ended killing someone
Dealer premises are usually quite busy, people, public and staff, are milling around, and other vehicles often make the driving space cramped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What a location the "new car delivery" tent is put up at.
I think it is fair to expect that the buyer can drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The driver was definitely a novice; I presume the dealership would have validated his license, not his skills. ...
I don't think that the dealership needs to be concerned if the driver is driving legally. Not their problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Sometimes people also dont adjust their driving position correctly. ...
Adjusting the driving position is vital, even in one's car if someone else has been driving it. It is no good finding out that one can't floor the clutch and brake when already moving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
It's not as uncommon as we may think(I.e. buying a car first, then learning to drive).
Personally, I think that that first drive home from the showroom is quite nerve-wracking, Mr Sod is never far off, wielding his fateful law.

Yes, it's a good point that many people must buy cars without having yet learned how to drive. Surely most have the sense not to take the wheel in those circumstance? But there are always the indefatigably stupid.

All of us, whether we have been driving for a week or several decades, experience those new-car pickups, different company vehicles, hire cars, friends' cars... generally any car that we are unfamiliar with. And I think that almost all of us, not only T-BHP car enthusiasts, know that this is something to be approached with great caution.

We have to find out how sharp the clutch is; how the brake responds; discover how brisk the acceleration is; how the car responds to steering. It may even take more than one trip to tune the driving seat position. For most of us T-BHPians, by the time we get home, it is just another car. But it wasn't when we got in it half an hour ago.

Even cars of the same model have different clutch and break adjustments. Even our own car can be rendered a new driving experience: the first time I lost my shoes from outside some public place, I was amazed to find out how completely different barefoot driving of my own car was!

I hope we find out what happened. Always a chance that it might have been something worse than inexperience, eg some sort of a blackout.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th June 2020 at 20:37.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:44   #30861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
So he can afford a Polo but not a few grand to learn to drive? Hard to be sympathetic to be honest.
I agree, that it is outrageous that people get behind the wheels without enough practice, no sympathy there. I am just toning down my outrage here just a tad, and saving it for others.
If there is such a thing called as the "outrage scale", I would put this mistake where this person succumbed to the pressure and anxiety of a big purchase (assuming a lot here), behind experienced drivers who go wrong way, or do racing/stunting on public roads.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 23:31   #30862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I agree, that it is outrageous that people get behind the wheels without enough practice, no sympathy there. I am just toning down my outrage here just a tad, and saving it for others.
I know what you mean - there are just so many egregious examples of unsafe practices on our roads that are, as you say, more worthy of our outrage
Old 19th June 2020, 02:17   #30863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How not to drive your brand new Polo after taking delivery
Happened in my city. It looks like the car owner's son insisted adamantly that he wanted to drive from the delivery area. Another irony is that they had paid 30k for the specific number considering good luck or whatever.

The dealer exit may look cramped, but it is quite okay if you are a half decent driver. The road outside is a single lane, very busy city road. The poor guy smashed the gas pedal instead of brakes. I am happy it was a VW showroom and not a Maruti. Because Maruti showroom in my city is just opposite a signal stop at a 90 degree angle. There would not be any barricades to save the driver/other motorists on road.

Unfortunate and I wish no one has the same experience of driving out a brand new car from the delivery bay, with thousands of aspirations, just to get toppled like a turtle in front of the whole world to see. One man's misery is another man's blessing. This particular guy's misery has definitely been a blessing, a life saving one to someone on the road that day.

Bottomline: If you are new to driving or new to the ergonomics/power train of the car that you are driving, please don't rush it. I still remember the first time we went out on our brand new Safari Storme V400, my dad who wanted to try driving the SUV, with all his 40 years of driving experience, quickly releasing the clutch of the storme just like how he would do on his petrol Celerio. The 2+ tonne monster with its 400Nm torque leaped forward like a deer, to the utter shock of everyone of us in the car. Luckily there was no one/ vehicle in the front. He slowed down towards the left of the road and told me to take over. Sometimes, even experience alone isn't enough.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th June 2020 at 02:27.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 09:02   #30864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It looks like the car owner's son insisted adamantly that he wanted to drive from the delivery area
Thanks for sharing, @PrasannaDhana.

The owner was served instant justice, and hopefully won't commit the same mistake again.

In a way, it was good that the owner allowed the son to drive out from the delivery area rather than from the roadside later into the drive.

One, or several lives saved !!!
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 09:24   #30865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am happy it was a VW showroom and not a Maruti.
I guess the owner of the car is also glad that it is a VW and not a Maruti. Else he would be looking at a total loss scenario.

I assume this was the new manual TSI. I have TD'd it, and it's got crazy acceleration. Poor guy must have been caught off-guard.
samaspire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 09:37   #30866
BHPian

Someone crashed their brand new polo, right at the delivery and flipped it.

Seems like the driver was a newbie.

Never mind the over the top commentary on the video.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 13:15   #30867
BHPian

I remember i nearly crashed when i first drove a manual steering while i had learnt on a power steering car. Clutch play is also different in different cars that one learns after trying another car. I learnt driving on a beat down driving school cng car where one needs to push the pedal pretty much full to accelerate. I learnt on that for 3 weeks and thought im a expert now. Tried my uncles i10 and started and put the pedal to the metal, thankfully my uncle was besides me to quickly use handbrake to slow down the car.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 13:37   #30868
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post

Seems like the driver was a newbie.

Never mind the over the top commentary on the video.
I find this a bit inexplicable. Can't believe the car would flip completely over so easily just by hitting a gate! The gate would have to have been really thick/heavy and the car must have been going really fast. The latter is not possible within such a short distance even for a powerful car like the Polo..

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2020 at 16:22. Reason: Removing YouTube URL from quoted post (repetition).
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 13:39   #30869
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Happened in my city. It looks like the car owner's son insisted adamantly that he wanted to drive from the delivery area.
Atleast the VW service staff should've checked driving license of the lad in case of doubt as delivery is happening within their premises.

Quote:
I am happy it was a VW showroom and not a Maruti. Because Maruti showroom in my city is just opposite a signal stop at a 90 degree angle.
And I heard about one incident when a diesel car was filled with petrol immediately after delivery from this showroom.

Quote:
Bottomline: If you are new to driving or new to the ergonomics/power train of the car that you are driving, please don't rush it.
Out of curious torque steer from a just delivered Abarth I drove over a speed breaker without even noticing it at some good speed. Lucky that it was Fiat built not flimsy. I own a punto so ergonomics was not the issue. But power train was.

The whole of India is commenting on this incident in all social networking forums and WA groups. But no one knows the real reason. Thanks for this post of yours. Anyway our city TN 45 and VW dealer have become famous now.

Last edited by KPR : 19th June 2020 at 13:44.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 13:41   #30870
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Car flipping after a head on crash! Was there an additional airbag fitted underneath, or did the driver pushed an EJECT button!
ani_meher is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed