Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 09:38   #31051
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
On the contrary, I feel the City's crumple zones did it's job perfectly.

Also you can see the passenger cabin is intact in the City.
I definitely agree with you on the crumple zones and how they are designed to absorb impact to keep the cabin intact etc. but don't you think there is bit too much of a crumple that has happened for a relatively low speed impact?

Also, it may be worth noting that some of the energy from the impact has been used to push the Nano forward which means lesser energy for the crumple zones to absorb (as opposed to hitting a stationary immovable object).

Regarding passenger cabin being intact, this is too minor a collision and I guess even a humble Alto would have had it's cabin intact.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:10   #31052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
I definitely agree with you on the crumple zones and how they are designed to absorb impact to keep the cabin intact etc. but don't you think there is bit too much of a crumple that has happened for a relatively low speed impact?
Regarding passenger cabin being intact, this is too minor a collision and I guess even a humble Alto would have had it's cabin intact.
If you see closely, crumple zones are not even touched and crash bar and crash structure is intact in city. It is only Bonet/Hood and bumper cover that is bent.
pravint is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:18   #31053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
If you see closely, crumple zones are not even touched and crash bar and crash structure is intact in city. It is only Bonet/Hood and bumper cover that is bent.
Makes sense! Thanks for pointing it out.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:37   #31054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post

Also, it may be worth noting that some of the energy from the impact has been used to push the Nano forward which means lesser energy for the crumple zones to absorb (as opposed to hitting a stationary immovable object).

Agree with you on the second point.

Just googled on "What's a low speed impact?.

Result that came was "Low Speed impacts are those that take pace at speeds under 10 MPH. There's often little (if any) visible Property Damage done to the rear of ones motor vehicle. However, those who are struck (especially in the rear) do have injuries, especially neck injuries. The most common of them are identified as Whiplash".

But we can see from the gif image, it is not definitely low speed impact.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:36   #31055
Senior - BHPian

In the Nano's case, I find it really odd that even the dent is not a prominent one. Does the Nano have some extra protection in the rear side since it is a rear-engined car?

Low slung sedans always seem to have a tough time while colliding with Nano. I remember a Ciaz accident too where the damage to Ciaz seemed too much when compared to the Nano.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:45   #31056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
In the Nano's case, I find it really odd that even the dent is not a prominent one. Does the Nano have some extra protection in the rear side since it is a rear-engined car?
Naturally, due to multiple reasons. First, due to the presence of the engine and transaxle, the rear area will be pretty tough and as the bulk of the mass will be located there. The other thing is Tata cant use crumple zones at this area since it will affect the rear passengers very badly. Hence, given the very less front bonnet area and flat rear, that would have led to these two being made very tough. If not, then the Nano would have been catastrophically damaged during such a crash.

When it comes to sedans, or cars which have a boot portion away from rear seats, that area can be made into a crumple zone and hence you see cars like the City, Ciaz, crumpling up royally in these scenarios. Same applies to the front hood portion as well. Car will take damage, but that should not reach the cabin in the ideal world.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:52   #31057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Another accident from Kerala.
Thanks for sharing this. It shows how well the crumple zones have acted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Okay, I really wasn’t expecting it to be a Tata Nano...hopefully, the new City isn’t as flimsy as its predecessor and the Ciaz.
Well, I won't go into this but City has perfectly reduced the damage to its occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
You've answered your question. The engine acts as a crash guard. I don't remember seeing a separate crash guard in Nano's engine bay when my Uncle's Nano was up for repairs.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:30   #31058
BHPian

I’m sure the crumple zones have worked, but a Fiat / Ford / VW would have almost invariably retained their fasciae better, which was my point.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:53   #31059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I’m sure the crumple zones have worked, but a Fiat / Ford / VW would have almost invariably retained their fasciae better, which was my point.
Not wanting to get into a debate. Quoting from a previous post, below link shows an accident of BMW with Tiago. This may be a is low speed impact. Tiago has literally no damage, while BMW has considerable damage compared to Tiago. Now this a german.

Link ::

ps: Coincidence, both the accidents happened in my state Kerala.

Last edited by Vasuki : 8th July 2020 at 12:55.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:34   #31060
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in Ind

Quote:
Not wanting to get into a debate. Quoting from a previous post, below link shows an accident of BMW with Tiago. This may be a is low speed impact. Tiago has literally no damage, while BMW has considerable damage compared to Tiago. Now this a german.

Link ::

ps: Coincidence, both the accidents happened in my state Kerala.
A BMW Z4 is built to be light and aerodynamic, to aid in the track. Besides, there’s a chance of this particular one being modded further. Even if this is not the case, the Beemer still held up way better than the City in the pictures above (since you’re comparing the two cases). There’s literally events of Polos, Fiesta’s and Linea’s holding up worse crashes (remember the Hyderabad flyover incident, for one?) and there’s even a pic of a crash between a Ciaz and Linea a few pages back. The crumple zones did their work to some extent - fine. But how easily the bumper and other parts get dislodged in the Japanese cars even in minor shunts is indeed worrisome, forget about high speed crashes. For the same measure, there’s tons of reports of Suzuki’s and Honda’s crumpling like tin foil in this very thread itself. And kudos to Tata anyway

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 8th July 2020 at 13:37.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:23   #31061
BHPian

Another short video grab from Kerala during Monsoon. As per reports no causalities. Content in Malayalam

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...amangalam.html
Old 8th July 2020, 14:59   #31062
BHPian

Not sure how exactly this happened. Source FB
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-106454697_2930763007034456_4742071525265745321_o.jpg  

Old 8th July 2020, 15:48   #31063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
On the contrary, I feel the City's crumple zones did it's job perfectly.
That is way too much crumpling in the name of crumple zone.

The cost of damage would be more or less the cost of that Nano now.
balenoed_ is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 16:20   #31064
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2026677
Attachment 2026678
Tata, Ford, VW products are very strongly built. This Monday (6th July 2020)while returning home after office, a Maruti Swift just braked suddenly infront of me to make way for another pedestrian, a scooty hit the swift from behind, both the swift and scooty were moving very slowly, mostly at 15-20kmph. It was raining and the incident happened on the middle of the road, so didn't risk taking any photo/video. The rear bumper of the Swift got detached with a deep bent at one side. While the scooty didn't get a single scratch.
topse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 16:29   #31065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That is way too much crumpling in the name of crumple zone.

The cost of damage would be more or less the cost of that Nano now.
I guess we now have to reclassify the Crumple zones as Maruti/Honda type crumple zones and Tata/VW/Fiat type crumple zones. Otherwise it is too much of confusion for the readers to understand the function of crumple zones since they work completely differently in these cars.
Holyghost is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed