Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:52   #31231
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

CCTV captured the moment this car rammed into an ice cream vendor. Four people were injured. The incident happened in Amar colony in South Delhi.
The driver, a fashion designer, said that she was eating ice cream in the parked car, when her dog jumped on her. She hit the accelerator. It appears that the BMW was in the Drive mode when she was having her ice cream. She tried to flee but was later arrested by the police.
BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:44   #31232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Hope those people survived.
Sadly there has been a fatality. The bike rider died on the spot.
Old 3rd August 2020, 14:46   #31233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
It appears that the BMW was in the Drive mode when she was having her ice cream. She tried to flee but was later arrested by the police.
I'm confused. If the car was in Drive, even without the accelerator pedal, won't the car creep forward? If it's a torque converter, then the driver would have had to keep the brake pressed to stop it from moving.

Also, it is mentioned in other news reports that she said the dog jumped onto the gear lever and it shifted.

Quote:
"On interrogation the accused stated that while she was eating ice cream sitting inside her car, her dog jumped and the gear of the car was changed and incident happened," said R.P. Meena, DCP South East Delhi.
Link

Even in this case, if the dog pushed the gear from N to D, won't it just creep ahead instead of what happened here?
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:52   #31234
BHPian

After many months of lockdown, yesterday I had a chance to drive from Vijayawada to Hyderabad. Those who know the route must be quite familiar with the Hotel 7, near Suraypet, a kind of midway point. Right across its entrance there was an accident around 4 pm. As I approached I could see a crowd of people and by the look of it, it was evident that they were staring at some mishap. What appears like a collision of bikes because of a couple of bikes with their riders' helmets strewn around, was appalling because one of the victims was right on the road, writhing in pain, but no one dared to come forward to help him. Looks like there was another victim lying on the side of the road, a few feet below. What struck me was the effect of Covid. No one wants to come and help an accident victim. All were waiting for an ambulance. This is going to be another issue with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:00   #31235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
... If the median were 2 feet wider, his head would have cleared the lamp-post and he would have rode past the lamp-post. He might have still fallen off his ride but at least he would have lived.
Please excuse me not double checking, but it seemed to me that, although he remained upright on the bike, he hit the median some way before the pole, and would have suffered major injury to the right side of his body. The pole was just the final blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I'm confused. If the car was in Drive, even without the accelerator pedal, won't the car creep forward? If it's a torque converter, then the driver would have had to keep the brake pressed to stop it from moving.
Not all AT, torque converter cars creep in all circumstances. Some just don't have much creep, some will not creep on a slight incline. Conceivable that she was just sitting there with her foot on the brake, but then how would she have got out of the car to buy the ice cream?

But whether it was a slipped foot, or an unsecured dog, the lesson is that a stationary car must be securely stopped, which means the handbrake, whatever the transmission

Waiting at signal? foot on that brake may be ok (although I often prefer handbrake on, feet off everything, and relax for a few moments): eating an ice-cream, foot on brake certainly not ok.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:22   #31236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I'm confused. If the car was in Drive, even without the accelerator pedal, won't the car creep forward?
Exactly. A BMW (powerful car) will easily crawl ahead even on inclines.

Quote:
Even in this case, if the dog pushed the gear from N to D, won't it just creep ahead instead of what happened here?
Moreover N to D is possible only when the brake pedal is pressed. Probably she had her left foot on the brake. And when the dog jumped on her, she accidentally tapped the gas pedal, panicked and released the brakes.

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd August 2020 at 20:24.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:15   #31237
Senior - BHPian

5 college students having fun on the highway results in the death of a couple on a two-wheeler near Tirupur. This has been the norm there from times immemorial. All 5 admitted in hospital with serious injuries. The couple died on the spot.

discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:40   #31238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
5 college students having fun on the highway results in the death of a couple on a two-wheeler near Tirupur.
Heck! How the hell did they do that on a dead straight dry road.

RIP RIP. Terribly sad when a couple dies. Their kids all of a sudden becoming orphans.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 23:39   #31239
Distinguished - BHPian

A woman and her daughter aged 12 were killed while two male occupants of the Tata Tiago car were injured in an accident on the Eastern Peripheral Highway, Noida. The woman had been to her brother's residence to tie the rakhi. A truck collided with the car.

https://jobsvacancy.in/noida-news-wo...ent-2-serious/

The language though is full of grammatical errors on this news link.
Old 4th August 2020, 01:15   #31240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
was appalling because one of the victims was right on the road, writhing in pain, but no one dared to come forward to help him. Looks like there was another victim lying on the side of the road, a few feet below. What struck me was the effect of Covid. No one wants to come and help an accident victim. All were waiting for an ambulance. This is going to be another issue with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Actually it is recommended you do not do anything to physically move an accident victim unless you are a trained first responder. There could be injuries in the neck, spine, skull that might get further aggravated.
IshaanIan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 13:51   #31241
BHPian

Another Over-speed case and 2 innocent lives lost for no reason of theirs - just being in the spot at the wrong time. Sad news.

Casualties: 3 Dead and 4 Injured as per the report.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2020 at 19:41. Reason: typo
Old 4th August 2020, 13:55   #31242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
Another Over-speed case and 2 innocent lives lost for no reason of theirs
Not another, just the same that was reported just a couple of posts above in this page.

Quote:
Causalities: 3 Dead
That's an update.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2020 at 15:54. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 4th August 2020, 14:25   #31243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Heck! How the hell did they do that on a dead straight dry road.
Could be because of the undulation of the road coupled with high speed. Even at 0.25X speed, the car is moving fast in the video. Even a abrupt steering input at those speed can cause the car to loose control.
Old 4th August 2020, 14:36   #31244
BHPian

Quote:
Causalities: 3 Dead and 4 Injured as per the report.
Exactly what happens when we have morons behind the wheels.

I would guess that that college students were trying a handbrake turn, i.e. drifting, as the rear just slides out. Cannot think of any other reason for such a loss of control. Also, this looks like a Gen 2 Swift and the brakes in Gen 2 (apart from ZXI) were pathetic. I have one and I can vouch for this.

RIP to the deceased, especially the couple on bike.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2020 at 15:55. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 4th August 2020, 16:57   #31245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
I would guess that that college students were trying a handbrake turn ...
Haven't looked again, but don't recall there being anywhere for them to turn into. And wasn't their speed far too fast?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks