Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:44   #31351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Just now saw that Corolla and lady accident video. Have not read all the posts for this video, but some are saying lady is not at fault. I do not agree with them.
Time to quote my dad's lesson to me from late 1960s...
"When does a pedestrian have right of way?"
I searched my Highway-code learning for pedestrian crossings, crossing sidestreets and more --- all good answers but none satisfied him. Eventually he told me,
"Always. You are never allowed to run them over."
Applies here 100%. It does not matter why she was in the road: it does not give anybody the right to run her over, or take away their responsibility for doing so.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 19:45   #31352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
2 dead on-spot in Chennai ECR road.
Oh God! Mr teenager thought his parents have gifted him the road for his birthday.

He is free to commit suicide, but unfortunately not always is justice fair.

And for the gentleman, it is just not enough to glance once and make the next move. We need to confirm as our roads have too many ridiculous riders/drivers/morons.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 20:06   #31353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, she is wrong, and this behaviour annoys me greatly when I am the one in the car. However, I don't think it makes her responsible for the accident in any way, especially as she was in clear view of the Corolla driver.
The lady is a prime contender for the Darwin Award. But it was the absolute and complete responsibility of the Corolla driver to avoid what was an entirely & easily avoidable crash. And no, there was nothing accidental about the way the driver continued on his way after the impact with the lady.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 20:51   #31354
BHPian

Quote:
2 dead on-spot in Chennai ECR road. The high speed crash was caused by a 17 year juvenile driving his KTM in a reckless manner hitting a crossing scooter driven by a 70 year old man.
In this case, looks like both are at fault. The turn taken by the old man is wrong, he should not go towards the on-coming traffic. There is no right turn there! Looks like he wasn't going straight, rather drifting to right side lane. The underaged KTM rider obviously couldn't control the bike at those high speeds, I bet he wouldn't even have seen the old man on activa. I don't know much about law, would the parents of this kid be punished in this case?

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2020 at 01:07. Reason: removed embedded video in quoted post
WhiteSierra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:03   #31355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The high speed crash was caused by a 17 year juvenile driving his KTM in a reckless manner hitting a crossing scooter driven by a 70 year old man.
I wonder why parents give such powerful machine to a juvenile, people need to realize consequences of such gifts

Last edited by airbus : 22nd August 2020 at 22:05.
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:08   #31356
Senior - BHPian

Have been doing regular rides in the evening these days and must say, due to lack of public transport, there's a surfeit of two wheeler's on the road hogging for space making life hell. So the speeds reduce there's a general frustration of all road users. Some are so frustrated that make some "suicidal" moves leading to accidents like these. Also did a 680 kms roundtrip drive to Chennai-Salem-Chennai and back in 12 hours on 13-08-2020 and was surprised to see two wheelers on the highway too.
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:47   #31357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
In this case, looks like both are at fault. The turn taken by the old man is wrong, he should not go towards the on-coming traffic. There is no right turn there! Looks like he wasn't going straight, rather drifting to right side lane.
You know the spot? Did the announcer say Injambakkam?

Anyway, the instinct is to blame the under-age inexperienced person. In this case, I don't think I can. We should not blame the driver if a pedestrian walks out immediately in front of their car. The older guy has done like that. The youngster was speeding: could not the elder have seen that?
Quote:
The underaged KTM rider obviously couldn't control the bike at those high speeds, I bet he wouldn't even have seen the old man on activa. I don't know much about law, would the parents of this kid be punished in this case?
He was underage, he would have had no licence, insurance, I suppose, invalid. If caught, he is, and should be, in trouble. I've seen bikers almost run over the toes of crossing pedestrians (even when cars have stopped) and there might be just-don't-care aspect to this boy's riding.

I don't like what the kid is doing or how he is doing it. I still can't entirely blame him.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:20   #31358
Senior - BHPian

Really lucky escape for the pedestrian!

sarathlal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:46   #31359
BHPian

Quote:
2 dead on-spot in Chennai ECR road. The high speed crash was caused by a 17 year juvenile driving his KTM in a reckless manner hitting a crossing scooter driven by a 70 year old man.
Both are at fault. The biker should have seen the white strips ahead and slowed down. That's there for a purpose. That speed is just too high for an intersection.

Also, the old man should have been careful since he is directly against the traffic flow in order to get to the other side. He could have used a U-turn instead, if there was one nearby. If there was no U-turn nearby that intersection then that is also wrong on the part of authorities who designed the roadmap, in which case people will be forced to cross in the manner that old man did.

Last edited by Mynameis : 22nd August 2020 at 23:47. Reason: Removed quoting the video link.
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:52   #31360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
True. But why does he turn around and start running?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:56   #31361
BHPian

Quote:
So lucky! That was his day.

He should be walking at least a metre away from the edge of the road, considering how much space is there. May be he did not want his slippers to get brown!

Another example of lack of awareness.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2020 at 01:08. Reason: removed embedded video in quoted post
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:51   #31362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everything happened so fast and (looks like) all he saw was the electric (or telephone) cable falling down from the fallen post. His running off appears to be away from the fallen cable.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 06:21   #31363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what we all refer to as S-H-O-C-KKKK!!!!

Perhaps being there to experience it happen (as a pedestrian) to ourselves would have made most of us do the same too or something really unusual. Run for our lives because we just cannot mentally understand momentarily whatever just happened and may be it's still not over so let me take shelter!

There are lots of such videos on YouTube where after such close shaves from death people have simply started to run in random directions!
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 07:57   #31364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swami Saranam! Said that guy at the end.

Look who is peeping out from the truck. He has been like that for quite a few seconds:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20200823065306_whatsapp2.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:16   #31365

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Clear case of aquaplane, the driver was very lucky to have not collided head on with bus.
Lives on the road were luckier! Besides over-speeding, I believe the reason for this could have been the difference in tyre pressure between the front and rear wheels. I also wonder if the traction control was turned off by the driver?

Nonetheless, the importance to ensure proper tyre pressure before going completely bonkers with his car should have be acknowledged by this chap. Having said that, I do not support what he did there in that video- over-speeding is not a thrill to experiment, especially cluelessly.

Few polite terms for such drivers- Overconfident, clueless, dumb, lucky ba... Anyway.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2020 at 21:38. Reason: Video link removed from quote

Most Viewed