Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 15:38   #31861
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusios1521 View Post
Kia Seltos Crashes Out Of Dealership - Nosedives On The Road.

A bad week for KIA in India.
What is it with Kia and driving right out of a higher storey window? The same thing happened during its initial days haha
Old 15th November 2020, 09:07   #31862
BHPian

I saw this today morning at Bansal Hospital parking
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d363a6ac6a894ac8b2e59a10561387b9.jpeg
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 09:23   #31863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Attachment 2080405
Hyundai owners doing their own crash tests now?
I wonder what must have actually happened, not able to see the TUV properly? Drunk driving? We need some context!
yesyeswe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 09:35   #31864
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2080405
Well the UP police weren't lying about TUV being overturned

Not a dent and sleeping like a baby on its side.
RavSam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 10:42   #31865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a t-bone accident. No frontal damage to the TUV300.

Not the best thing to say without knowing the impact speed but the Verna seems to have held up really well. I presume speeds must be low (40-50 km/hr range) as this has happened in a parking.
Old 15th November 2020, 12:48   #31866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Self-return?

Steer does not mean let the wheel slip through one's fingers.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have been driving for a little more than 6 years now and I thought I could say that I am not a novice anymore, guess what, I still need to learn a lot more.
This technique of letting the wheel slip through, while maintaining a little grip, when straightening up after a turn was taught to me by my driving school instructor. While driving with my dad he did point this out and asked me to not do this and rather shuffle back the steering, and me being an obedient student did think that surely an instructor would know better.

A bit of searching and checking on Google does show that the more safe and preferred way is to steer with complete hold rather than letting the wheel slip through. And this slipping is preferred in motorsports.

Thanks for pointing this out, I would surely try to change this habit.
HR 16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:28   #31867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hyderabad: Drunken driving by Mercedes Benz GLC coupe owner claims life of secunderabad club manager in Madhapur
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Yes, seems to be the case to me as well!

But how do we know the Merc is jumping the signal? That's only an assumption.

On the contrary, from the CCTV footage, at the very edge/common, you can see a green light facing towards the cement mixer. It should be the green light for pedestrians (because had it been green for traffic, the mixer and the bike along it would be moving). If the pedestrians' light is green in that direction, the traffic light perpendicular to that (i.e. from where the victim-biker came) could not be green. Quite probable then, that the victim was jumping the signal.

This is all speculation of course. The quality of the video is quite bad too. I wonder why they record it from a CCTV monitor using a camera, rather than taking the raw footage itself. Technologically handicapped journalists!

Update : Apparently the car belonged to an MLA's son from AP, he told media that he wasn't in the car when the accident happened, apparently his friends and driver went to pick up the car from service center, later went to pub, consumed alcohol and caused this accident. He himself agreed that his friends consumed alcohol at a pub and caused this accident, cops arrested the drunk driver, the passenger (his friend) in Mercedes escaped.

From 1:20 secs in this video, the cop himself said that the Mercedes benz driver jumped the signal which caused the accident.

Now it is clear that biker is not at fault and the driver driving the mercedes was drunk that night and caused the accident. Also note how both front and back riveted HSRPs magically disappeared from the car.

Looks like a driver by profession (Kashi Viswanath) is arrested here as well, similar to Ferrari GTC4Lusso accident in Hyderabad couple of weeks back, I definitely smell a rat here. Talk about big money.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 15th November 2020 at 15:36.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:58   #31868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR 16 View Post

Thanks for pointing this out, I would surely try to change this habit.
Thank you for taking my comment with an open mind and a desire to be a better driver . Some people are quite defensive about their bad habits, especially if they came from an instructor.

One of my bad habits is steering with one hand. Even my late mother used to complain about it, and she was one of my driving gurus. Well, I do it when I consider it safe, and my other hand is always ready to fly to the wheel. Even for potholes or rough road, which can jerk the steering.

I think that numerous drivers will let it slip, but I believe it should be firmly under control.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 22:26   #31869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusios1521 View Post
Kia Seltos Crashes Out Of Dealership - Nosedives On The Road.
I bet this Seltos heard about the GNCAP rating it got and then tried to commit suicide
samaspire is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 01:26   #31870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that numerous drivers will let it slip, but I believe it should be firmly under control.
It is an acceptable and safe practice (allowed within rules) to let the steering wheel slide back into its centre position after completing a turn.
The key is to just ensure the slide is controlled by maintaining contact with wheel as it slides. It needs practice.
Just one of the online references source

Last edited by for_cars1 : 16th November 2020 at 01:28.
Old 16th November 2020, 15:49   #31871
Senior - BHPian

Received on WhatsApp. Accident happened in Palakkad, Kerala about one hour back. Head on collision between Wagon R and Alto, apparently Wagon R driver fell asleep at the wheel and went to the wrong side. People in the Alto had head and leg injuries. From the photos it is evident that not all passengers in the Alto were wearing seat belts. Wagon R driver did not have visible injury and his airbag deployed. Seat belts are so important.

(PC: Dilip)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa1.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa8.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pa10.png  

Last edited by airbus : 16th November 2020 at 16:12. Reason: Added one more photo.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:12   #31872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Just one of the online references source
What happens in Alberta should stay in Alberta! .

In pedantic mode, I don't even agree with hand-over-hand steering. Each hand remains on its own side.

I don't remember if my Dad allowed wheel slip steering, but my British instructors did not.

It's like not allowing a car to coast: don't allow the steering wheel to coast either! Always have control.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:15   #31873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
What is it with Kia and driving right out of a higher storey window? The same thing happened during its initial days haha
Haven't you been following our sales threads every month?

They say, the Kia Seltos is literally flying off the shelves these days
aravind.anand is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 17:54   #31874
BHPian

Quote:
What happens in Alberta should stay in Alberta! .

In pedantic mode, I don't even agree with hand-over-hand steering. Each hand remains on its own side.

I don't remember if my Dad allowed wheel slip steering, but my British instructors did not.

It's like not allowing a car to coast: don't allow the steering wheel to coast either! Always have control.
One reason I can think of people holding to the steering on older generation cars could be due to lack of Power Steering capabilities in the car that mandated holding the Steering tight at all times(No hand over hand at any time though). Modern cars with electronic steering are so sure footed like coming back to position after letting them slip under your hands after making an U-Turn. Even one handed driving is so easy weasy on a sedan like City that mixes steering feel and heaviness in a brilliant package. But agree that One handed driving is NOT recommended and I do it rarely to spice up a drive on low/no traffic stretches at lower speeds that too where the road is well visible for kms ahead.
Old 16th November 2020, 18:42   #31875
Senior - BHPian

When I am up in the mountains, I always allow the 'steer' to get itself back to position.

I am not sure if i will be comfortable in being able to 'Hold' the steering at sharp hair pin bends, especially, when you encounter two of them in quick succession.

Maybe, I would want to try holding onto the steering in navigating hair pins and see how I feel, the next time around.
jkrishnakj is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks