Old 12th December 2020, 22:51   #32011
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

It's caught in CCTV as well.

balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 23:21   #32012
BHPian

This is a horrendous crash. Look at the speed at which the lorry is going past the bus before running amok over the cars. 12 cars have bore the brunt for absolutely no fault of those drivers & 4 valuable lives lost.
vw19d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 23:52   #32013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A major accident reported at Thoppur, near Dharmapuri in TN. More than 10 vehicles involved.
More videos of the accident have surfaced

Last edited by badboyscad : 13th December 2020 at 00:08.
badboyscad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 01:26   #32014
BHPian

The Thoppur kalvai section is supposed to be amongst the most haunted roads in India. Looking at the way the heavily loaded multi-axle Truck speeds past that bus, it seems as if the driver is possessed with some vengeful spirit. No sane driver would have done those kind of speeds on that truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
You meant "couldn't" right? Atleast in the video it is fairly clear the high beam was blinding. Should have atleast been able to see the outline of the goats if he was on low beam.
Seeing the outline of the animals hmmm...That is easier said than done at night on poorly lit roads. I once had an incident when a cow chose to stand in the middle of the road on my lane in a poorly lit stretch. Very similar to this situation. There was a biker happily on high beams who blinded my sight. I noticed the cow *after* I had hit it. Thankfully I was doing defensive speeds and the hit was in the far right side to the car and hence was I was able to safely maneuver the car. The Cow dusted itself off and went away. My Ritz however had extensive sheet damage since the Cows horns had gouged out the sheet metal badly

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th December 2020 at 15:28. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 07:43   #32015
BHPian

Folks, I have a doubt. Assuming the damaged vehicles have Comprehensive Insurance cover, will the insurer of that truck compensate the short fall in the cost of repairs/replacement of the damaged vehicles?
Old 13th December 2020, 08:27   #32016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
The Thoppur kalvai section is supposed to be amongst the most haunted roads in India. Looking at the way the heavily loaded multi-axle Truck speeds past that bus, it seems as if the driver is possessed with some vengeful spirit. No sane driver would have done those kind of speeds on that truck
A blind curve and a downslope? Nothing at all to do with ghosts. The idiot overtook on that curve and expected to find fast moving traffic ahead of him.

He instead saw a large tailback of cars and trucks due to some reason, and plowed into all those vehicles.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 11:51   #32017
Senior - BHPian

Thoppur ghats is notorious for trucks losing brakes because of it's long stretch of down gradient which starts almost 2-3 kms before this spot. Heavily loaded trucks usually crawl down at some 20-30 kmph. I have seen varied loads crashed beside the road or lying on the road, from a fishing trawler to a locomotive lying on it's side in the middle of the road. This one looks the worst.

My assumption is that, the driver must have ridden the brakes upto this point instead of engine braking with a lower gear and most probably would have lost his brakes before this point which was why he was already in good speed. I don't think any truck driver with a loaded truck would come down Thoppur ghats at that speed otherwise.
Next time I pass by this stretch, i'll be tensed for sure.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th December 2020 at 11:18. Reason: loosing > losing
tharian is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:06   #32018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post

I can see a Kia completely mangled. In such accidents, I don't think NCAP or other ratings are useful. Only God can save us from such horrible things.
CarNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:18   #32019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
I can see a Kia completely mangled. In such accidents, I don't think NCAP or other ratings are useful. Only God can save us from such horrible things.
Any car will get mangled out of sight in such a pile up. NCAP ratings have zero relevance to end users in the real world. They exist, because in the absence of such exercises, manufacturers will push this aspect (structural rigidity) down to the bottom of their priority list or one fine day forget all about it. Now that such tests are conducted and ratings made public, enough pressure is on them to give equal importance.

Coming back to the accident, who ever allowed the truck driver to even to sit in the driver's seat .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:24   #32020
BHPian

Hyderabad: 5 killed in road accident at Gachibowli

Signal jumping by the driver of Swift car claimed 5 lives, the tipper lorry driver also appears to be over speeding in his green signal lane.

Old 13th December 2020, 12:54   #32021
BHPian

For those who travel regularly on this stretch such an accident isn't something new, sadly ! Have seen so many ghastly accidents in that stretch and I'd blame the drivers not the road. The road is a pretty decently laid stretch and you can see people "flying" whenever they can while going downhill.

To the experts; this may need another topic, but I am wondering why this "brake failures are so common" among trucks in India ? The trucks especially the modern ones have a much reliable Air Brake system coupled with all the latest safety assist systems like ABS etc. Is it not "idiot proof" under emergency braking situations ?

If this needs a standard operating procedure along with "idiot proofing the safety system" it needs to be prioritized. The loss of life, property etc is too much to handle every time !

And it also looks like Bharath Benz is too complicated for Indian situations. Few major accidents in the recent times had Bharat Benz involved.

I have seen much bigger trucks (the Kenworth, PACCAR, Actros) climbing up and down steep inclines with heavy load in areas like the Hunter Valley, California Highways etc and hardly noticed such "brake fails". Of course accidents do happen everywhere but its not the same reason all the time.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 13th December 2020 at 12:58.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:56   #32022
BHPian

9th Standard Car Driver Kills 3 of a Family
https://starofmysore.com/9th-standar...3-of-a-family/
Mysore/Mysuru: A minor boy, who was allegedly behind the wheels of a car, rammed the vehicle into a two-wheeler killing three persons of a family near Dandi Maramma Temple on Mysuru-Bengaluru Road yesterday night...
Read on:
virgopal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:06   #32023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, that's what the news article mentions.
Salient points...
  • Four dead.
  • Truck driver ran away.
  • Road design blamed.

Whilst y'all know what I think of blaming road design, fog, etc, rather than drivers, it seems that many complaints have been made about this place, but corrections have not been made. I can't say that road design doesn't contribute to danger: it can certainly contribute to safety.

Anyone here with local knowledge of the spot?

edit: Crossposted. Somehow I missed a bunch of posts. edit 2: --- Thanks to all with local knowledge.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th December 2020 at 13:15.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:10   #32024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My assumption is that, the driver must have ridden the brakes upto this point instead of engine braking with a lower gear and most probably would have lost his brakes before this point which was why he was already in good speed. I don't think any truck driver with a loaded truck would come down Thoppur ghats at that speed otherwise.
Next time I pass by this stretch, i'll be tensed for sure.
Exactly my thought as well and adding to that, truck driver may be new to this section. Whenever i cross this section, i always had a worry especialy with the way some private buses driven :(

What i was wondering is, the traffic pile up was due to another minor accident and in that case why can't the NHAI or toll plaza people regularize/warn all the vehicles who cross the toll plaza or at least before the ghat section itself, saying there is accident further down and go slow!

Last edited by smnrock : 13th December 2020 at 13:13.
smnrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:10   #32025
Senior - BHPian

The truck ploughing through stopped cars is very scary. The big question is why was the traffic stalled? There doesn't seem any intersection. The answer appears, if you look closely at the right side screen of the video. There is a truck facing the oncoming traffic. It is on the extreme right side of the left lane (on the right screen). That probably was the reason for stalled traffic.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks