Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 11:37   #32056
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The Bharath Benz run away truck crashing on to the cars is one of the worst accidents in the recent history . I hope such things do not happen again !

Was watching a video on Truck Safety and came across this

One of the features thats demonstrated in the video is AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) The feature and its function is very useful for Trucks in India. Hope these are made mandatory and help reduce accidents.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 15th December 2020 at 11:39.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 15:05   #32057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
One of the features thats demonstrated in the video is AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) The feature and its function is very useful for Trucks in India. Hope these are made mandatory and help reduce accidents.
The bigger issue is in the mindset of these fleet owners. There was so much opposition for something as simple as a speed limiter. Basically they dont care. VRL which is a bus and logistic operator had AEB retrofitted on its passenger buses on their own but I believe over time they went out of service maybe because the drivers didnt want the system interfering when they were tailgating other vehicles. If the fleet owners care for their own fleet and the safety of people, it is not difficult for them to talk to Volvo or Bharat Benz to make AEB available. And then there are other so called experts who will brush it off saying it wont work in India. Truth is that, AEB is most effective in our country, at least in preventing such mishaps because unless enforced, no one gives a hoot about driving safely. Its more so in the CV segment, with overworked drivers, poor maintenance of vehicles and of course the urge to maintain momentum and somehow pass an obstacle.

If mandated in the country especially in the larger vehicles, it will definitely help. Just yesterday I saw a truck which had banged another truck in Nelamangala toll booth when the driver didnt brake for the toll queue. In dense traffic, it will prove to be cumbersome, but thats because people want to tailgate. If there are ten trucks with AEB in traffic, it will be a beauty to watch them lined up with good distance from one another. But not only trucks, I want every PV or CV to have this. If we have traffic full of cars which wont let you tailgate, then no one will complain. People will only complain when one car has AEB and another doesnt have, and will cut in in front of the former car. But when every car has it, then it will be a different thing. Hoping it will be mandatory by 2022 or so.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 18:22   #32058
RGK
Senior - BHPian

RIP to those departed souls. The average number of accidents on this ghat road is around 500 per year .

We never learn to drive on the highways. We have the habit of doing by experience. A thorough investigation by police may reveal the real cause of the accident, but I doubt.

It is always better to stick to the basics - low gear on the downhill, be alert, view all mirrors every minute etc...

My view is, the chances of brake failure is less as the downhill distance is not so long to make the pads/rotor fail unless it was on the verge of replacement. The truckwala was driving at a high speed on the curve and doesn't even allow the bus to pass and there is a chance of some vengeance developed in him if some car drivers would have created frustration on the highway before (this is purely my perception and he has to be given the maximum punishment if his act was found vindictive).

Last edited by RGK : 15th December 2020 at 18:41.
Old 15th December 2020, 23:29   #32059
Senior - BHPian

Accident in North Lakhimpur, Assam. A pick up truck was driving on to a ferry using wooden planks. This is a common practice and I had personally used. Ferry was not secured properly, but I heard (on the video) people were blaming the driver for applying brakes
airbus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 08:04   #32060
Senior - BHPian

^^^

That isn't even a vehicle carrier.

Take a look at what the Kochi Municipal Corporation use for carrying vehicles.

sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:41   #32061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The bigger issue is in the mindset of these fleet owners. There was so much opposition for something as simple as a speed limiter. Basically they dont care. VRL which is a bus and logistic operator had AEB retrofitted on its passenger buses on their own but I believe over time they went out of service maybe because the drivers didnt want the system interfering when they were tailgating other vehicles.
The AEB's were very un comfortable, they used to apply when bus came within 2 seconds moving distance of a vehicle in front of it.
Due to that car's used to overtake the buses and cut in front of them, and trigger the aeb leading to some one else crashing into the rear of the bus.
Secondly in traffic when a biker or some one passed ahead and cut in the bus took a hard stop, and could not clear signal in time, causing voilent behavior from people stuck behind the bus.
Lastly these hard stops were very uncomfortable for the passengers.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:39   #32062
BHPian

I had crossed the Thoppur highway on Dec 13 midnight and now I read this news of truck ploughing through cars like a hot knife cutting through butter.

When I was driving that stretch, I could barely go past 30 km speed because of the curves and frequent audio/visual warnings and that huge rumble strip, which if driven over in high speeds will give that unpleasant jerkiness inside the cabin. Even after all this, if this truck guy drives like maniac, this guy deserves a harsh punishment.

Blaming the road design is just plain stupid if you decide to do stupid after knowing very well the perils of doing so. And the worst thing is, it happened in broad daylight. My hands are shaking just reading about this, since I passed this stretch very recently and mind just wouldn't stop thinking about the poor souls who lost life and limbs for no fault of theirs.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th December 2020 at 13:27. Reason: The anger is understandable, but let us keep the choice of words aligned to the forum decorum. Thank you!
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:37   #32063
BHPian

From Facebook, Hope she is fine.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ele.jpg
arungeorge is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:57   #32064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
From Facebook, Hope she is fine.
I hope so too.

One thing for sure, someone's gonna be single for a long long time now.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 17:57   #32065
BHPian

Kwid driver was on a mission to get sandwiched, he should thank his stars.

vvivek85 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:28   #32066
BHPian

Wah! Kya driving hai!

And he is standing with hands on hips as if something happened beyond his control!. With this kind of driving ' abilities', he does not deserve even a twig, leave alone a Kwid.
Nalin1 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:31   #32067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
This accident shows why it is important to check the right rear blind spot by looking over the shoulder before changing lanes.
Siva Prakash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:50   #32068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva Prakash View Post
This accident shows why it is important to check the right rear blind spot by looking over the shoulder before changing lanes.
Nope. It just shows that you'll pay the price if you drive like an idiot on the road.

The guy was trying to squeeze between the trucks. It is not a case of the truck being in his blind spot.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:14   #32069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=I89t...ture=emb_title
Whoever recorded this on the dashcam, be the one who can help the poor trucker. That's my only wish.
paragsachania is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:21   #32070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Ferry was not secured properly, but I heard (on the video) people were blaming the driver for applying brakes
https://Youtu.be/mesWehcFgbk
Those ropes and poles look like what is used to secure a cow, not a ferry.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks