Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 13:12   #32671
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Wonder what can be done when you see a small animal run across and can't stop in time.
My policy is to not attempt to save the animal.

Though I've heard that in certain locations, people intentionally push small animals in front of outstation vehicles and then when the inevitable happens, create a ruckus demanding hefty compensation.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:04   #32672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My policy is to not attempt to save the animal.

Though I've heard that in certain locations, people intentionally push small animals in front of outstation vehicles and then when the inevitable happens, create a ruckus demanding hefty compensation.
There is a popular rural saying in India that a living domesticated animal may be worth pennies but a dead animal is worth a fortune.
fhdowntheline is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:54   #32673
BHPian

Quote:
A(n unstable) 3 wheeler hits a dog running across the road and almost tips over after hitting the wall/pole.
Wonder what can be done when you see a small animal run across and can't stop in time.
We should all be able to stop in time or swerve away and drive according to your surroundings. Looking far ahead helps a lot. Speeding saves you only seconds and minutes.

My nightmare when driving is to hit a child or an animal. Luckily I have not.

It is always our responsibility to avoid accidents. One can never blame a child or an animal for an accident

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th April 2021 at 16:16. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 18:09   #32674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
What guts the driver should have to do something like this. I feel for the Creta owner, he had to pay a hefty price for no fault of his. I wish the driver is charged with attempt murder
Looks like an act of self defence by going for a preempt attempt.

From the start, the bikers are approaching the situation with an intent for conflict. Furthermore, after the car sped, they appears to be readying themselves to give the car a pursuit.
Glad to see no bodily injuries.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 21:48   #32675
Senior - BHPian

Jaywalking + Biker on a high speed = Disaster

Always Advisable to keep safe distance from Trucks

Fortuner - Head on collision with 2 bikers - Both died

Jump to 25 seconds

Last edited by tanwaramit : 15th April 2021 at 21:58.
tanwaramit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 02:13   #32676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Jaywalking + Biker on a high speed = Disaster
They have the whole damn road, yet he has to hit her. This makes me so angry. How hard is it to give her room, whether choosing to go ahead or behind?

On a defensive pedestrianing level, of course she could have avoided being the victim. How many people don't know that bikers can be more dangerous than trucks? A truck may not be able to stop; a biker doesn't care to.

As a pedestrian, I make a point to indicate to bikers to go ahead or behind me, and they usually do. It's better than this forwards/backward dance which can so easily lead to disaster.

But she is the victim, and there is no way I am blaming her. Again, how hard would it have been to miss her by a good margin. Except to the guy for who there is nothing but the line he is following.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th April 2021 at 02:15.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 07:10   #32677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But she is the victim, and there is no way I am blaming her. Again, how hard would it have been to miss her by a good margin. Except to the guy for who there is nothing but the line he is following.
The pedestrian sending 'mixed signals' is not to blame?

Street dogs darting suddenly across the road have hurt the bones of many of the well handling bike owners.
ramzsys is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 08:06   #32678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They have the whole damn road, yet he has to hit her. This makes me so angry.
This will explain your question. On a motorbike, you go where you look.

https://themcdonalds.net/totw-target...here-you-look/
Turbanator is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 09:24   #32679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Excellent point. Will try and practice this.

However, what also happens is that a person tends to look at the obstacle since he also wants to know which way the obstacle will move.

And this Target Fixation takes over ?

Guess we need to balance the two. Not an easy point to educate all the regular drivers on the road.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 09:47   #32680
BHPian

Surprised to see people blaming the biker and not the woman, even senior bhpians who make accurate analysis usually!
The woman stopped abruptly in the middle. People like her cross the road all the time and everyone of us just drive across behind them. For anyone driving on the highway, it would look like the woman will simply cross the road and this is why the biker, when collided, was towards the middle of the lane - he had already made course correction and probably why he had not slowed down. Problem arose when she stepped back. All this happened in just 1-1.5 seconds, too little time for the biker to make another course correction.

Even blaming the biker for high speed is not correct. It is clearly an empty four lane highway, speeds of 75-80kmph are expected. There is no pedestrian traffic even on the sides.
Plus, anything colliding with a stationary target even at 35-40kmph will look too fast on a video.

To me, the only mistake of the biker was making a course correction instead of slowing down but then, it is easier to point this out when seeing a one-off case.
Candy$Cars is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 09:57   #32681
BANNED

Quote:
They have the whole damn road, yet he has to hit her. This makes me so angry. How hard is it to give her room, whether choosing to go ahead or behind?
When a 100cc motorcycle with front drum brakes is running at its top speed of 80 km/hr, it needs to go only straight, slight handle inputs are fine, nothing more.

They had the whole damn road, and the biker was even passing from behind the lady, but she took 2 steps back! And once a motorcycle brakes and tyres are locked (like this case), it goes in the direction it deems fit, not what the rider thinks of.

Quote:
how hard would it have been to miss her by a good margin.
She was being missed by a good margin itself, but she decided to violate that margin at the final second by taking 2 steps back! It's a motorcycle, hardly 2 feet wide a vehicle, one step here or there does make a difference between being hit or being saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Indeed, first and foremost, when a motorcycle is running at this speed, it is loud enough to send a signal quite far that I am running and I am uncontrolled. Secondly, if you have entered the road, then follow the direction of your motion.

Driving is a math, and once you take a step back, the calculation of the driver goes down the drain - exactly what happened here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Applies on the track - the basic mantra of 'Twist of the Wrist'!

How can I say that it doesn't apply on the street? Any young buy who rides a motorcycle to college can tell that, infer what I mean

Jokes apart, once a motorcycle has braked and the tyres are locked, just like this motorcycle which has hit the lady under the braking maneuver, the motorcycle goes where it wishes to. With over 1.5 lac kms of riding experience, I can tell you gentlemen, if one is doing 80-90-100 kph and something comes in the way, hard brake + steer out maneuver is way tougher on a two wheeler than what it would be in a car. Simple longitudinal load transfer simply makes the rear wheel get locked or risen up the air - and the control is lost.

PS: I am not defending the biker, but I hate the jaywalkers too who cross the roads like they are going for a walk in the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Surprised to see people blaming the biker and not the woman, even senior bhpians who make accurate analysis usually!
The world looks very different from the seat vs from the saddle!

Quote:
To me, the only mistake of the biker was making a course correction instead of slowing down but then, it is easier to point this out when seeing a one-off case.
Agree, the biker must have started braking right at the moment the woman stopped, but he probably started moving thinking that the lady will go ahead only.

Last edited by VKumar : 16th April 2021 at 10:06.
VKumar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 10:58   #32682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One cannot swerve to avoid a small animal for fear of possibly maiming or killing many more lives by swerving on instinct. I tend to ram the said animal without braking, especially when I'm on my two wheeler.

For two wheelers, there's a phenomenon called the tank slap phenomenon; if your bike goes over a solid lump, you're not going to fall off if you maintain your momentum. But if you panic after running over the lump (such as an animal), and when you hit the brake, your axis of movement gets fouled and you might fishtail, zig zag and ultimately fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Agree, the biker must have started braking right at the moment the woman stopped, but he probably started moving thinking that the lady will go ahead only.
He has to be an inexperienced biker. Only crossing cows and buffaloes will hold their onward course. Dogs, deer, hens and jaywalking people are simply unpredictable. Of one of them may be proceeding onwards and can just as easily decide to reverse direction in a split second. I aim for the tail of a crossing cow/buffalo when I see it ambling across the road. Most drivers make the mistake of competing with cows by aiming for their nose; cows usually speed up their forward movement when they spot the oncoming vehicle and present themselves as superb competitors in locking up real estate on the road.

Deer deserve a special mention. They tend to jump up and execute karate kicks, breaking the windshield and thereby landing into the car that hits them. A gentleman that I know of still has facial scars from a Pennsylvanian deer's hooves.

PS - It is definitely insensitive to club jaywalking humans with crossing animals, but you can't argue with how similar they all are in their crossing behavior - aside from their bovine counterparts, i.e.!
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:25   #32683
Senior - BHPian

While crossing the road, i follow a simple procedure. No matter how empty the road may be or if i have a green signal on the zebra line, i cross as fast as i can. I am the least protected person on the road and i care for my life very much.

I can amble along slowly after i finish crossing. Not while crossing!
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:55   #32684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Not taking any sides here, but as far as I know jaywalking isn't a punishable offence in most places in India, so the onus of saving a human is totally on the driver/rider, including the cases where someone intentionally jumps in front of a moving vehicle to attempt suicide.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 16th April 2021 at 12:58.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:36   #32685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
No. The driver should allow for unpredictable idiocy.

Two steps is not enough safety margin. Not when you are riding or driving something deadly. And putting yourself at huge risk too: I imagine this guy did not come out of this unhurt.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks