Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 12:41   #32941
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post

There is even the Onspot automatic chains that is activated manually by the driver. This system is also available on the big vans like the Mercedes Sprinter.
This device is definitely not practical for our road conditions.

The low hanging spinning chain next to the chain will get knocked off by the first stone on our roads.
Old 20th June 2021, 17:45   #32942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
How long will we continue to allow car makers to sell tin boxes disguised as cars?

All cars are "tin boxes." I wish we could all remember this every time we drive one, regardless of brand etc.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 18:48   #32943
Senior - BHPian

Accident at Ballabgarh Market - not sure of date.
Points to note:
1. Busy junction without traffic lights or a cop.
2. The car involved was at a speed higher than most others and did not appear to try and slow down at the junction.
3. Swerving to avoid the vehicles at the junction was a last ditch effort.
4. The hit and run was a desparate attempt to escape.
5. Mob justice with people already ready with stones. Dont know how things culminated. Also not sure of the primary damage and injuries.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 19:45   #32944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
2. The car involved was at a speed higher than most others and did not appear to try and slow down at the junction.
He was definitely driving too fast, even though the vehicle ahead was slowing down for turn. He tried to swerve left as he could see clear road ahead.

However, lo behold, there was a Swift in his blind spot, which kissed his booty and his vehicle went flying in the people waiting on the other side.

Mob justice is unfortunate. At best, people should call police and let them take over. While handing over, make videos; so that no fancy business takes place.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 20th June 2021 at 19:49.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 21:08   #32945
Senior - BHPian

Scooter accident caught on dashcam. I think scooter rider should have been slower/cautious on such wet road. Hopefully no serious injury.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 21:34   #32946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Scooter accident caught on dashcam. I think scooter rider should have been slower/cautious on such wet road. Hopefully no serious injury.
How did he miss the calf on the road ?

I always slow down, almost crawling, wherever I see cattle, whether I am on two-wheeler or car. They can almost 'fly' in your way.

And I see two pillions and no helmets.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 21:49   #32947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
How did he miss the calf on the road ?

I always slow down, almost crawling, wherever I see cattle, whether I am on two-wheeler or car. They can almost 'fly' in your way.

And I see two pillions and no helmets.
Even I was amazed, for a while I was trying to see from where did the calf appeared so suddenly, then I noticed the calf far ahead on the road, they should have slowed down after noticing the animal on the road, and there are 3 people on the scooter including a child.

If the scooter had ABS they wouldn't have slipped, panic braking and vehicle skidding is one of the major causes of 2 wheeler accidents. 2 years ago I had a similar kind of accident on my bike, I sold it off and got a new one with dual channel ABS.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 23:27   #32948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Accident at Ballabgarh Market - not sure of date.

4. The hit and run was a desperate attempt to escape.
5. Mob justice with people already ready with stones. Don't know how things culminated. Also not sure of the primary damage and injuries.
This looks bad. Not just for the folks injured by the Xcent at the junction, but also for the passengers of the car. Looks like it is a taxi and seems to have passengers in the rear as seen in the footage after the first accident. They too must have got a trashing for no fault of theirs. I personally do not believe in mob justice. People are often beaten within an inch of their life and will have injuries to carry till the day they die. I do wonder how all those guys (mobs) came out of nowhere ? This also highlights a jobless situation ! Also this is not a CCTV footage and looks like it was taken with a phone camera. Did they anticipate this would happen or is that junction a regular accident spot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Looks like the scooter expected the calf to move out of the way. Sadly it did not and the rider learnt a lesson the hard way.
Old 21st June 2021, 03:33   #32949
Distinguished - BHPian

Behaviour of traffic ahead is a key indicator to the half-decent driver. The car drives around the calf, and, several seconds later, the scooter drives straight into it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st June 2021 at 07:35. Reason: Broken tags
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 08:57   #32950

Rains hinder the vision of the riders riding two-wheelers..

1. Most probably the rider was bending down little bit to avoid rains falling in his face,

2. Or he would have been using his hand like a visor to avoid rains in his face

So he would not have been able to see what was lying ahead in the road and would have noticed the animal at the last moment..

Unsafe driving from his part especially with kid with him!!
Old 21st June 2021, 09:28   #32951
Senior - BHPian

Media reports emerging of a major accident at Ramanattukara near Calicut at around 4.30 AM. Five passengers of a Bolero died on the spot when their vehicle collided with a cement-carrying truck. Some visuals are here (voiceover is in Malayalam):

Wet road, blind curve.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 15:33   #32952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Media reports emerging of a major accident at Ramanattukara near Calicut at around 4.30 AM. Five passengers of a Bolero died on the spot when their vehicle collided with a cement-carrying truck. Some visuals are here (voiceover is in Malayalam):
Seems like there is some suspicious activity and investigations are under way. Check out the news links below, they are in English.

TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:28   #32953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Seems like there is some suspicious activity and investigations are under way.
It is getting weirder, apparently gold smuggling gangs were involved.

A total of 15 vehicles. Carriers. Their security. Hijackers. Their backup. Decoys. My head spins.

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/crime-be...ling-1.5768104 (article in Malayalam, original of the article in previous post)

It is the route I used to routinely take during late night drives to Calicut from Bangalore (12 midnight-2 am window). Very glad that I shifted to an alternate route about 2-3 years back.

Last edited by binand : 21st June 2021 at 16:29.
Old 21st June 2021, 16:43   #32954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
Rains hinder the vision of the riders riding two-wheelers..

... ... ...

Unsafe driving from his part especially with kid with him!!
I have never been a two-wheeler rider, but yes, this occurred to me. But not to adjust speed to a crawl if you cannot see ahead is unforgivable. None the less, it happens all the time, on two wheels and four.

On the driving in the rains thread, I mentioned how distressing it is to see how almost all drivers fail to adjust their driving to rain and wet roads. They keep to the same speeds; the same distance from the vehicle in front; etc etc.
Old 21st June 2021, 23:32   #32955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have never been a two-wheeler rider, but yes, this occurred to me. ... I mentioned how distressing it is to see how almost all drivers fail to adjust their driving to rain and wet roads. They keep to the same speeds; the same distance from the vehicle in front; etc etc.
Maybe the bike rider expected the Cow to behave like a human and jump out of the way the moment he honked? Or maybe that bike driver was used to driving Train for a living . The Speed seemed ok for the traffic but dashing head-on to a Calf on such a straight stretch is inexcusable whatever the conditions.
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed