Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:26   #33466
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopBH View Post

Just wondering, will there be any investigation by Audi into this incident, as this accident is getting a lot of attention by the media and the negative talks about Audi's safety?
Why would they investigate this? There was nothing wrong with their product, it was the people inside.
tharian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:24   #33467
Senior - BHPian

We have a car crash forensic investigator 'Rohan265' join TBHP recently.
Not sure if he has analyzed this Audi-B'lore accident objectively, ofcourse with whatever information is available.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 3rd September 2021 at 14:25.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 20:03   #33468
Senior - BHPian

Nexon EV caught fire, not sure how old the video is. Is there any better way to put fire out on an EV, spraying water doesn't seem right to me.

Couldn't find the source elsewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTSv7...dium=copy_link
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 09:59   #33469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Two things need to be investigated in the Bangalore accident case.

1. Whether the bollards were legal or not. If it was put up illegally, suitable actions should be taken against the people, civic authority, owner who put it up. There is a high chance they might have crashed somewhere else or killed someone but it does not absolve others who put those bollards(if illegal).
How does that matter in this case? If those weren't there where they were, the Audi would have probably ended up in someone's bedroom or kitchen. Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
2. If police has earlier stopped the vehicle and let them go with only a warning, actions should be initiated against them. I hope the family somehow file a case of dereliction of duty against the policemen who let them go, which not only killed the people inside but also endangered the life and property of others. If a case is filed then it gives the police an excuse to fulfill their duty(which they don't in fear of retaliation by those in power) even against the mightiest who pull ranks.
You know how it works with people with connections here. By filing a case, only some hapless policemen may be troubled for some time. This does not buy us ANYTHING. Case, if at all, should be filed against the family for allowing their youguns to behave like this.
FORTified is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 15:53   #33470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
We have a car crash forensic investigator 'Rohan265' join TBHP recently.
Not sure if he has analyzed this Audi-B'lore accident objectively, ofcourse with whatever information is available.
I hadn't seen the crash in detail till today. I had received a news alert during the week but didn't pay much attention to the crash as, unfortunately, I have come across such crashes far too often. It was only today when I saw the weekly update mail of the subscribed threads in team-bhp, I realized that crash is being discussed in-depth.

Coming to the crash...what I have observed is more or less in line with what the other members here have already pointed out:
  1. Looking at the damage and the CCTV footage, the speed of the car could be anywhere between 100 to 150 kph. But without any data, my opinion is that the speed should be somewhere around 120-130.
  2. I didn't see any sign of braking prior to the impact. I haven't seen the road, so cannot comment if the driver simply did not have enough time to react after leading the road or there was some other cause that may have affected his reactions.
  3. Looking at the seatbelt, I have reasons to believe that the driver was belted at the time of the crash. The co-passenger belt was not used, but it was still buckled to turn off the alarm.
  4. The pretentionsers of both the front seats have fired. But the airbags have not. This part intrigued me a bit. Usually, the seatbelts and airbags are designed to work in tandem. As far as I know, the ECU fires the pretensioners and not the airbags only in some low severity collisions. This was certainly not a low severity collision. And neither does the collision seem to be at an oblique angle. This is something only the manufacturer can answer.
Except for the part of the airbag deployment, this seems to be a pretty straightforward crash for the police to investigate. Whether the investigation will give any fruitful results is another question entirely. As I said, such crashes take place far too often and these high-profile crashes usually follow the same pattern: Crash occurs-Furor in the media (usually, the local media)-blame thrown around between the victims and the authorities-some arbitrary decision is taken by the authorities-everything is forgotten after a month and the status quo returns with no changes made. Unfortunately, this case may follow the same pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why would they investigate this? There was nothing wrong with their product, it was the people inside.
In my opinion, Audi will investigate this crash. If it was me, I would be interested in knowing the reason behind the lack of airbag deployment. The airbag deployment may or may not have affected the outcome of this crash. But, if a similar situation occurs in a western country in the future, Audi might face a big problem.
Rohan265 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 17:49   #33471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Except for the part of the airbag deployment, this seems to be a pretty straightforward crash for the police to investigate. Whether the investigation will give any fruitful results is another question entirely.
Thanks for the response.
Yes, what happens next in terms of the investigation, might be, unfortunately, the same old process.

Quote:
In my opinion, Audi will investigate this crash. If it was me, I would be interested in knowing the reason behind the lack of airbag deployment. The airbag deployment may or may not have affected the outcome of this crash. But, if a similar situation occurs in a western country in the future, Audi might face a big problem.
As per your observation, since the airbags didn't deploy - hope this matter doesn't derail or take the focus away from what seems to be the main issue in this gruesome accident - that of very severe drunken driving.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 18:39   #33472
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, had to report an accident in this thread that happened to one of our family members. This happened to my sister and family two weeks ago while they were traveling from one of the southern KL district to way north and accident occurred in Kollam district. BIL was driving the 5 yr old Ciaz, sister in front and two children at back.

A KSRTC bus which rammed another car from the rear and swerved to the opposite lane to hit this Ciaz head on, fishtailing it and veered off the road. The passengers of the first car the bus hit had serious injuries. In fact, that car was the root cause, who merged to the road from a petrol pump without noticing the KSRTC bus which was also going in the same direction. The bus which was probably over speeding rammed that car from behind and got on to the opposite lane and hit the Ciaz which was going on the opposite lane. And thanks to the notorious single carriage way NH66 in KL that the margins are nil.

Now coming to the occupants of Ciaz, none of them were injured. They just got out of the car after initial shock. Sister had minor body pain, BIL absolutely nothing and children at the back too were fine. Front passengers were belted. Rear passengers were not, but they got alert when the first crash happened and held the front seat while seeing the bus coming towards them. So they were prepared, hence spared. Seat belts saves life!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210814-19.04.27.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210814-19.04.28-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210814-19.04.28.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210814-19.04.29.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20210815-11.44.38.jpeg

Overall, a lucky escape in what otherwise would have been serious. While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants. Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th September 2021 at 19:08.
balenoed_ is offline   (127) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 18:41   #33473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Person in the i20 was not paying attention to notice people slowing down and smashed into a scooter, collecting me as well, and both of us slid about 25m down the road. My bike however had slid a lot more, and lodged itself under the police van. Thankfully, the riding gear and helmet was what saved me from severe injuries, with only a few scratches on the knee and hip. Scooter rider though wasn't as lucky, and was quickly taken to the hospital in the same police van.
Hey TheDarkKnight, glad to know you are ok and got away with a few bruises. The same happened with me in the first week of January, my case was a little different, a WagonR had rear ended my bike on a red signal in BKC. After the incident I'm more careful at red signals and keeping an eye out in my mirror.

You are a safe rider after seeing you ride on the Teambhp meet in February, I was the guy on the Duke390. We should catch up for a ride soon.

Take care.

Cheers,
Dhruv shetty.

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2021 at 09:58. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 19:29   #33474
Senior - BHPian

Innova accident at Perungulathur, Chennai.

badboyscad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 21:10   #33475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Oh my!!!

I dare to imagine what would have happened if it was not a fortuner. How fortunate she was.
There was an Eon just behind the Fortuner. I shudder to think what would have happened to that poor car's occupant(s), as I used to drive one.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 5th September 2021 at 21:16. Reason: Typo
Old 5th September 2021, 21:54   #33476
BHPian

As a fellow Ciaz owner it is heartening to see that the car took the impact well and didn’t pass it on. However I am not comfortable with the idea of repairing the car which has taken such significant impact. No amount of repair is going to restore its original structure. It would be advisable to write off this car and replace with new/pre owned model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Overall, a lucky escape in what otherwise would have been serious. While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants. Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.

Please share a brief of what happened, (sorry for not being conversant with the language), from what I could assume looking at the condition of Innova, the occupants did not survive the crash. In the video I observed t sparks from right rear tyre and the vehicle veers to the left and crashing into rear of stationary truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post

Last edited by setuniket : 5th September 2021 at 22:01.
setuniket is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:30   #33477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Please share a brief of what happened, (sorry for not being conversant with the language), from what I could assume looking at the condition of Innova, the occupants did not survive the crash. In the video I observed t sparks from right rear tyre and the vehicle veers to the left and crashing into rear of stationary truck.
5 youngsters were out on a joy ride, hit another vehicle at 2am, lost control and slammed on the parked lorry trailer. All of them died on the spot, and fire fighters had to work hard to extract their mortal remains.

There is no reason given in the video for the sparks from the rear right - the reason given for the crash (though cops are investigating) is overspeeding. There is some background given on what they were doing in Madras, etc.

While that's the synopsis from the video, I think it could have been speed + tire burst that caused this.

May the departed rest in peace

Last edited by ph03n!x : 5th September 2021 at 22:31.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:48   #33478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
In the video I observed t sparks from right rear tyre and the vehicle veers to the left and crashing into rear of stationary truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
There is no reason given in the video for the sparks from the rear right - the reason given for the crash (though cops are investigating) is overspeeding. T

While that's the synopsis from the video, I think it could have been speed + tire burst that caused this.
Watch closely at 0:16 in this video, it seems the vehicle hit a lorry and veered off. The sparks are from the initial hit.

Last edited by badboyscad : 5th September 2021 at 22:50.
badboyscad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 22:50   #33479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car.
Saddened to see this, but at the same time happy to know that you are all safe and the beloved car did its part very well!

Truly understand the emotional quotient with the car and dread to think of what you and family might have gone through.

Totally respecting your thought process and apologies if this sounds insensitive, but with that in context, personally think it might not be a good idea to repair the car that had taken a frontal impact of that magnitude. As its factory built structural integrity might have been compromised and the repairs might cosmetically hide the resulting imperfections.
sarathlal is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:05   #33480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
This is such a wide road with 4+ lanes each side and the traffic at that time is non-existent. Also, due to flyover construction just barely 500m before this accident site, they couldn't have sped continuously too. Looks like they accelerated fast and lost a tyre(?) in the rear which caused sparks and veering to the left and hitting a parked lorry. I know 'tyre burst' is a cliche at this point for accidents but in this case it indeed looks like something went wrong with tyre or wheel.

Most Viewed