Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 12:40   #33481

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Context: Innova accident in Chennai - link above.

This accident reminds me of some of the worst fears of night driving. If you see the video
() between 0: 36 and 0:39 you can see that there is a truck on the right most lane and right behind the truck is a minivan - in the middle lane. My thinking is that the Innova overtook the minivan, by going into the right most lane, but failed to notice the truck on the right lane in time and swerved - albeit a little too late - and the truck ended up gouging up a good portion of the right of the Innova - including the windshield (you can see shards of glass falling off the truck post the accident as well as the sparks from the shear) and might have either taken off or disoriented the driver so much that post this, we just see the Innova just going straight into the parked truck - taking out all of who were left alive from the previous impact. I guess the taillights of the truck not being operational could have been a big factor coupled with a short notice period to the Innova driver (high speeds, night, low beam etc) contributed to this accident. Sad :(
Arvind_555 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 13:44   #33482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This is such a wide road with 4+ lanes each side and the traffic at that time is non-existent. Also, due to flyover construction just barely 500m before this accident site, they couldn't have sped continuously too. Looks like they accelerated fast and lost a tyre(?) in the rear which caused sparks and veering to the left and hitting a parked lorry. I know 'tyre burst' is a cliche at this point for accidents but in this case it indeed looks like something went wrong with tyre or wheel.
I recall this summary after seeing the video in better clarity on desktop. There was a truck!! The reduced visibility plus no tail lights (common with trucks) made it hard for me to spot it on the mobile screen.

It looks like a simple case of overtaking (or undertaking in this case) went wrong. Looked to be a tight overtake with the mini truck on the middle lane and with that urgency, Innova appeared to have side swiped the truck heavily on the right side and the driver lost control likely because of the hit and incapacitated. The left side passengers could have survived with seatbelts but with the driver disabled and no control of the vehicle chances were low.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:14   #33483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post
Context: Innova accident in Chennai - link above.

This accident reminds me of some of the worst fears of night driving. If you see the video
(https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WFcGh3e8C3A)
These incidents reminds us that we should have a seperate key for kids with speed limit of 100. Hope every manufacturers provide such options in cars. It's definitely a need for our country.
parathmaniraja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:54   #33484
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, there are these accidents that are waiting to happen - when people stick themselves halfway out of the sunroof of a moving vehicle. And then there are times when an aggressive ambulance driver taps the scooter in front with his bumper to get right of way.

Not often does one find all of that happening together within a minute of each other, like this...
SS-Traveller is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 08:25   #33485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
In fact, that first car was the root cause, who merged to the road from a petrol pump without noticing the KSRTC bus which was also going in the same direction. And thanks to the notorious single carriage way NH66 in KL that the margins are nil
I'm glad that your folks are safe. I have travelled in KSRTC several times, but one journey in a Fast Passenger from Palakkad to Kozhikode was the pick of the lot. I could only sympathize with the driver over the 4 hour journey through winding roads - his reflexes were quick, he had time to keep, he couldn't speed over 60kmph (yes - I could see the speedo) but even 60kmph seemed real fast on winding roads. He had to take half chances during overtaking on the median-less roads. And with all these constraints, one false move by someone merging, and it sure is a recipe for an incident. You're absolutely right about Nil margins on such roads.

Quote:
While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants
I agree on the crumple zones of the Ciaz. The car definitely deserves a bow for taking the damage, and deserves to be kept for many many years after repairs. Do report the car's final pics after the job is done.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 08:58   #33486
BHPian

There's another instance of the Ciaz getting in a serious accident, crashing into a culvert in an offset manner at 70/80kmph, as narrated by Gagan Choudhary. The car did well, according to him.

stallmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 09:15   #33487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall, a lucky escape in what otherwise would have been serious. While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants. Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
Hi balenoed_,
I'm so grateful that your sister's family got out safe from the accident. I hope your sister recovers from her pain quickly. Unfortunately, cars rebuilt after a serious accident like this may not offer the same protection in an another accident (god forbid).

Also, INR 1.5 lakhs is very less unless that is their payment for the parts not covered by insurance. If possible, please advise them to buy a new/used car in good condition.

Cheers
Just another well wisher.
landcruiser123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 09:48   #33488
BHPian

Quote:

Overall, a lucky escape in what otherwise would have been serious. While we see the usual bashing on Maruti's build quality, here is an example of how probably a well designed crumple zone saved the occupants. Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
They were very lucky to escape without injuries. The crumble zone does help. Ciaz & S-cross have better build quality than other models sold by the company.
Looking at the damage, 1.5 lakhs seems very less for it. Hope all body and frame will be replaced with new parts from MASS and not repaired.
Old 7th September 2021, 10:02   #33489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And then there are times when an aggressive ambulance driver taps the scooter in front with his bumper to get right of way.
Maybe off topic to this thread, but do ambulances have right of the way when they're off duty ? Do they have to follow traffic norms which apply to other vehicles ? I do give way to any ambulance I see in my rear view mirror regardless it's lights are flashing or not.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 10:10   #33490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sister and family believes the car saved them and hence wanting to keep the car. I also love this car as I have also driven it numerous times. The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
So glad to know that all are safe & the car looked after them well! Surprising quote really. For the extent of damage visible, this is a very low cost repair. Or is that estimate over and above insurance claim? (Even that seems incorrect at 1.5 Lakhs will be a bit too much for items not fully covered by insurance for what is not exactly a very old car.) Interesting to see how much the final bill comes to. That said - in my personal (and naïve) opinion - the car will be structurally compromised after such a significant hit by a bus. If it is feasible - better to replace it. It may not fare so well in case there happens to be another accident in future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Maybe off topic to this thread, but do ambulances have right of the way when they're off duty ? Do they have to follow traffic norms which apply to other vehicles ? I do give way to any ambulance I see in my rear view mirror regardless it's lights are flashing or not.
The concept of "right of way" as a whole is redundant in our country sadly. Nobody knows, nobody cares. I believe any vehicle that is not flashing its emergency lights - be it fire engines, ambulances, police vehicles etc - have to follow the traffic rules just like personal vehicles. However - just like you, I too (and I'm sure most others as well, I have seen it) just give way to an ambulance if seen in the mirror, just in case it is going to attend to some patient at home or has a malfunctioning siren/lights. Best to let them go. There are countless incidents of ambulances off-duty actually being used to make money by taking passengers and still driving with siren on for right of way. Doesn't matter, we the mango-people better work for the "greater good" and let them all go first for that 1 in a thousand "just in case" scenario.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th September 2021 at 10:23.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 10:54   #33491
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post

This accident reminds me of some of the worst fears of night driving.

My thinking is that the Innova overtook the minivan, by going into the right most lane, but failed to notice the truck on the right lane in time and swerved - albeit a little too late - :(
I would like to add that though the throw of the Innova's light appears to be above average, the oncoming vehicles' high beams would have dazzled it out. This too might have played a major role in the tragedy.
Old 7th September 2021, 11:28   #33492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, had to report an accident in this thread that happened to one of our family members.
The car is getting repaired at a cost of Rs 1.5 Lakhs (I am not sure how it is so less) and will be back on road in another couple of weeks.
Glad and relieved that your family is safe!
I once managed to hit a big stone at crawling speed (failed to see it in stop and go traffic) and I felt that impact real bad on my hands. The weight of a car is enormous and its feels like getting transferred to your body through the hands on impact. That left my hand trembling for a few minutes. Can only imagine what your family must have went through for no fault of theirs.

For all the beauty Kerala offers, there is only one thing I found concerning which was that even National highways are two-lane, with a lot of civilian property and crowd running along those tiny roads. I think land acquisition must be a problem for road widening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Watch closely at 0:16 in this video, it seems the vehicle hit a lorry and veered off. The sparks are from the initial hit.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WFcGh3e8C3A
The recent Audi Q3 accident and this Innova one has one thing in common, both had young people in their 20's driving the car and were doing very high speeds. Many will disagree, but my personal opinion is that young drivers (in early to mid 20s) are at highest risk of putting themselves and the occupants in danger because that age is full of energy and a sense of responsibility is just about starting to creep in.

Heck, I have driven my dad's car like an idiot at times in that age and I regret that now, but somehow got the sense to understand a vehicle's limits at an early age. Hope such instances serve as a reminder to young people that it takes only a fraction of a second to turn one's life upside down.

The Innova's driver possibly got incapacitated on the first impact and then it was just a heavy piece of metal with people inside it 'flying' uncontrollably at high speeds.

Looks like the same thing happened with Audi, if the occupants were not belted, they probably got dislodged from the seats when the car first hit the bollard with driver probably not locating the brake pedal (or too less time to react)

Don't know why the front airbags didn't deploy, I have a feeling that as the driver and co-driver dislodged from the seats after the first impact, the weight sensors detected that the seats were vacant and did not deploy airbags? Of course, I can be completely wrong.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:45   #33493
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to this video suggestion from Google. This vlogger wanted adventure and got more than he wanted. He was pushing the tall vehicle's limits and crossed it. Obviously physics had the last laugh. Feels sad to see a new car damaged!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahindratharrolloverfeatured.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 7th September 2021 at 11:47.
hemanth.anand is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:56   #33494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
No amount of repair is going to restore its original structure. It would be advisable to write off this car and replace with new/pre owned model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Totally respecting your thought process and apologies if this sounds insensitive, but with that in context, personally think it might not be a good idea to repair the car that had taken a frontal impact of that magnitude.
Yes, I very much agree your point and have insisted them the same but for some reason they are still wanting to keep the same car. There are some set of people who go by beliefs than physics/mechanics . Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I'm glad that your folks are safe. I have travelled in KSRTC several times, but one journey in a Fast Passenger from Palakkad to Kozhikode was the pick of the lot.

Do report the car's final pics after the job is done.
Off late the KSRTC has been notorious and in news for all wrong reasons. I am not blaming the whole lot of KSRTC drivers, which is unfair, but there are still those who thinks they own the road.

Sure, will post the picture once it is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Also, INR 1.5 lakhs is very less unless that is their payment for the parts not covered by insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
For the extent of damage visible, this is a very low cost repair. Or is that estimate over and above insurance claim? (Even that seems incorrect at 1.5 Lakhs will be a bit too much for items not fully covered by insurance for what is not exactly a very old car.) Interesting to see how much the final bill comes to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevin007 View Post
Looking at the damage, 1.5 lakhs seems very less for it. Hope all body and frame will be replaced with new parts from MASS and not repaired.
It does seem quite less and I am yet to see the estimate. And no, the 1.5L I mentioned is the complete repair cost. I am also surprised to hear about this so low cost involved. Let me check in detail on that.

Not sure how true this is, but have heard that just putting the air bags back in/or replacing it itself would cost 50K each. True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
For all the beauty Kerala offers, there is only one thing I found concerning which was that even National highways are two-lane, with a lot of civilian property and crowd running along those tiny roads. I think land acquisition must be a problem for road widening.
Very true that. I always believe you need a bit of luck too to pass through KL roads without being unscathed. The work has started for the 4 lane project in KL. Most of the required land acquisition is almost complete.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th September 2021 at 11:58.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:16   #33495
BHPian

I am glad you are safe. May I also vouch for Ciaz' crumple zone which helped me 6 months ago. A speeding Royal Enfield hit the left side of my car when I was parking. He was overtaking from the left and later blamed me for not giving indicator.

The left door sustained an impact and the side view mirror went toppling because the bike was at least at a speed of 60+ but nothing happened inside the car.

I am also glad that this forum is not bashing Maruti when a good case is made out how Ciaz' crumple zone saved people inside. The level of bullying one would otherwise face when discussing this personally or any other platform.
kaustubhp is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks