Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 08:58   #33691
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I have seen a lot of people justifying their purchases of tin cans on here on team-bhp by saying that the running is confined to city only.
I am transitioning from a Bajaj Auto, a motorcycle or some two wheeler? For me, that tin can is 100x safer than being exposed on two wheels.

I would not ridicule someone if they can't afford or they bought a vehicle that has a poor safety rating. We don't know about their situation in life. Some of us cannot afford a flash 5 Star GNCAP vehicle.
sandeepmohan is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:27   #33692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am transitioning from a Bajaj Auto, a motorcycle or some two wheeler? For me, that tin can is 100x safer than being exposed on two wheels.

I would not ridicule someone if they can't afford or they bought a vehicle that has a poor safety rating. We don't know about their situation in life. Some of us cannot afford a flash 5 Star GNCAP vehicle.
Completely agree on the point of not ridiculing someone on the basis of purchase but it does not exempt the manufacturers who are building and pushing these tin cans without basic safety measures (both for occupants and the vehicle itself). A person riding on a 2 wheeler with his family will be driving slower as he knows he is more exposed and vulnerable. Same person driving in a 4 wheeler will be faster due to a sense of security (actual or false) that he is safer inside a car even if its a tin can.

Most first time car buyers are not aware of the basic safety requirements in a vehicle and are distracted by flashy stuff added on by the manufacturer. It is up to the regulatory authorities to not allow such vehicles to be sold in the name of them being a cheap car that has a high mileage. Everyone has a right to safe travel on the roads but if the vehicle we are travelling is unsafe even defensive driving will not protect us in case of mistakes from others.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th October 2021 at 16:54. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
NG_EV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:36   #33693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On considering giving up car ownership, having a private auto (I don't even have the knack of 2-wheeler balance, let alone riding) crossed my mind. Team-BHPers put me right on this, telling that they are not even registered for private use any longer, and I also thought, hey, even a Nano would protect me from the elements, if not much more.

I am very keen on trying to keep in mind that the feeling of safety we get from out tin cans is illusory --- but it is better than nothing. Heaps better.

(And the outcome to the above, as many know, was that it was not long before I was back in a (new-to-me) VW Polo )
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:25   #33694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
] By not using helmet, triple occupancy and riding recklessly, the chaps deserved this. Hence had no pity for them.
Please don't take this the wrong way because I do know you go out of your way to help people across the forum and outside. But in my opinion the noblest form of help is the one offered without judging if it is deserved or not. True those road users were flaunting all norms and putting other users at risk, what upsets me is that there are a whole bunch of fellow forum members who think along the lines, "If they deserve it, they better face the consequences and fend for themselves". This post is now on the home page and now portrays us as a bunch of self righteous road users who are easy to pass judgment (just my opinion).
deepfreak15 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:52   #33695
BHPian

Quote:

I agree in that we should not ridicule someone given that we don't know the circumstances of someone's car ownership, finances and so on.

But I only partially agree with a "tin can" being 100x safer than a two wheeler. It is definitely safer if you drive it like a two wheeler, on similar speeds, in similar conditions. No arguments there. But people don't drive even a 0 star car like they'd a two wheeler.

People take their cars to the highways more often than they'd a two wheeler. The latter may only be taken out of necessity, or never at all. Cars will also be driven at higher, highway speeds. The other traffic's attitude is different. A bus or a truck will be less careful with a four wheeler (as a general rule, i know exceptional incidents exist) than they'd with a two. You'd also be plying among other heavy vehicles in the fast lane as opposed to sticking quietly in the left most lane as is usual for commuters.

Someone I know took their 1 star rated Kwid ~1100kms to their hometown from where they work, driving on highways with some of the highest accident rates in India. The expressways where people often drive like nuts, on crazy speeds. Nobody's going to risk doing something like that on their bike. Cars do give a sense of being safer - it makes people take more risk than they'd otherwise - thereby negating the "100x safer" thing.

It's similar to how speeds increased with seatbelts and airbags, thus not actually reducing the casualties as was expected when cars started getting safer. This is an interesting aspect of human behaviour - more on which can be read in behavioural psychology.

The idea is that *if* a safer alternative in your given price bracket exists, it should be given due consideration. An Alto? Go ahead with your choice. A Swift? Perhaps think a little more, consider the Polos and the Tiagos. The argument is more nuanced imo than just saying "any box of steel, however weak, is better than a two wheeler".

Mods, apologies for going off topic but this is related to the safety and accidents topic this thread is often a host to.
RoadMonkey is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:38   #33696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Spotted this accident today morning at Ranchi, two chaps who fell on the divider looked badly injured/dead

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rI-IqqJtZ2w

I didn't stop to offer help because A. I was getting late and B. By not using helmet, triple occupancy and riding recklessly, I did not feel like helping them.
Terrible accident, hope the two survived. I feel the helmeted person is also responsible. He changed lanes without looking behind.
People seem to remove RVMs from two wheelers at showroom itself in our state. And using horns instead when brakes should be applied. Both these issues seem to be at play here.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 9th October 2021 at 15:43.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 18:53   #33697
BHPian

I was witness to an unfortunate accident on 27th September. We were on a trip to North Sikkim, and on that day, we were travelling from Lachen to Lachung. These 2 places are very close, so we started around 4:30 PM. Around 5:15, barely 10-12 KM from Lachen, we came across a roadblock. Upon enquiring, the assembled crowd told us that an Army vehicle has fallen into the gorge

What I pieced together from others is: An Army truck going towards Lachen came upon another vehicle, probably another Army truck. Since the road is very narrow, this truck was forced to move towards the gorge to create enough room. The weather was very unpredictable in North Sikkim during that time, with bright sunny mornings but cloudy days with intermittent rains. Due to the rains, the ground was moist, and when this truck moved to the side, the soil under the rear left wheel could not take the weight and gave way. This pulled the truck down but luckily it got entangled in vegetation, so it didn't fall all the way into the gorge. There were around 7 people in the truck, and all had been rescued by that time. However, one unlucky chap was trapped since his leg got caught somewhere in the truck. He was talking to everybody, and even drinking water, but he could not escape.

The truck itself was not visible from the road. I saw the spot where the ground gave way and all the vegetation was flattened in that area. There was a truck with a crane on top parked by the spot. I could spot cables from the crane going into the vegetation below. Another truck was parked opposite this truck and a thick metal chain was used to tie them together. I assume all this was to stabilize the fallen truck so that it didn't accidentally slip into the gorge.

After more than 4.5 hours, we heard at last that the man was rescued. Sadly, our driver told us that his leg must be amputated. I hope the doctors have somehow prevented that. It was almost 10, and it took another hour for the traffic to clear. When we finally reached Lachung, it was almost 12:30 AM.

I have travelled to the hills many times, but this is the first time I saw an accident from such close quarters. I cannot even imagine the plight of the man whose day started normally but went in a very different direction for no fault of his. Also the area had no cell coverage, so if a civilian vehicle had met a similar fate, rescue would probably a bit delayed. I tried Googling for this but could not find anything. Not sure if this went unreported.
avi_swift is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:33   #33698
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 gets hit by Hyundai Creta from the rear - An advertisement from CarToq

Source : CarToq

The incident report starts as :

Quote:
Mahindra XUV700 has gained a lot of popularity in the Indian market. The all-new XUV700 has received thousands of bookings even after the manufacturer raised the price of the car. Mahindra is yet to start the deliveries of the XUV700 but the test drives have started already. Here is an incident where the all-new Mahindra XUV700 got rear-ended by a Hyundai Creta.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahindraxuv700rearendedbyhyundaicreta.jpg

Name:  MahindraXUV700VsHyundaiCreta_1.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  MahindraXUV700VsHyundaiCreta_2.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  51.4 KB
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:56   #33699
Senior - BHPian

^^ another XUV700 rear ended. The ADAS seems touch too sensitive for Indian drivers who like to tailgate & ignore the limitations of their vehicles.

Thankfully the XUV seems much lesser damaged.
Old 11th October 2021, 12:57   #33700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Mahindra XUV700 gets hit by Hyundai Creta from the rear - An advertisement from CarToq

Three things that stands out:
  1. XUV7OO haters crying in "plastic" over that tailgates "cheap" build quality
  2. The amount of rear ends XUV7OO is getting (doesn't come as a surprise now) - there are 2 hypothesis: (1) excited folks chasing the 7OO around and not realising their brakes aren't as powerful as the 7OO (2) ADAS kicking in randomly or unexpectedly catching tailgaters off guard
  3. What the hell is that Hyundai build quality?

Last edited by krishnakumar : 11th October 2021 at 12:59.
krishnakumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:57   #33701
Distinguished - BHPian

I think... Maybe... more crumple is built in to the front of cars than the back?

But anyway, I do hate it when accidents become build-quality wars, even though, yes, I do accept that brands prefer cheaper to safer --- because, they have said, their customers do
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 01:44   #33702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think... Maybe... more crumple is built in to the front of cars than the back?

But anyway, I do hate it when accidents become build-quality wars, even though, yes, I do accept that brands prefer cheaper to safer --- because, they have said, their customers do
You're on the mark there! All modern cars have crumple zones up front, and have pedestrian safety too. All cars should look like something similar to the Creta's front after an accident at similar speeds (I don't know what that was for this accident, though!).

On the other hand, the rear of the car is pretty rigid. Apart from the load bearing frame members, the spare wheel to acts as cushion.

Long long ago, a cow decided to inspect my Getz's brakes in ECR right at the exit of a sweeping left hander (right after you cross Vayalur when coming from Pondy). I did stop in time, Yokohama S.Drives in 205mm and engine braking saving a bovine disaster. 10 seconds after I stopped and the animal cleared my way... BAMMM. An Innova saw me too late, couldn't stop on time and rear-ended me - must be at least 50 KMPH when the impact happened.

The Innova (v1) was immobile - broken radiator, crumbled hood and all. My Getz barely had a couple of marks on the bumper - it was much later that I realised that the rear wheel well had a minor crumble too, and the spare well saved the body from further damage.

Here's the post and pics, this is from 2010 (Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)).

It's a different story that a DZire unexpectedly stalled after crossing a signal midway, and me in my Verna (2013) rear ended him coz I was about 30 meters away when the signal turned green, and wasn't really slowing down - saw him in the road to my right only when I'm crossing the stop line, 10m or so away (planted median + blind spot), and hit the rear left of his car with my front right after a swerve to avoid him went in vain - I had to replace a fender, bumper, fog and headlight mainly. The DZire almost became a Swift

It was my fault end of the day, I did compensate him for the repairs - was done in a local garage n was pretty cheap, at that!
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 07:26   #33703
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra XUV700 gets hit by Hyundai Creta from the rear
The airbags in the Creta didn't deploy. I'm a little concerned about that. I suffered an accident (I rear ended a truck) a year ago and then too the airbags didn't deploy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4874346 (The Big Fat Panda - Story of our Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol)

That accident was with lesser intensity than the one quoted above. Our car is an SX+ model and seeing the alloys of the car in this accident, it also seems to be like an SX model. Now, I'm really concerned about the status of airbags in my car. Whether it will deploy when required or not, is always at the back of my mind. I had since then, started treating it as a car with no airbags. (Read driving very defensively).

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 12th October 2021 at 07:29.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:19   #33704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An advertisement from CarToq
This seems to be the latest social media cancer, crash test photo analysis with zero information about what happened. Somehow we see the same brand of cars crashing again and again.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:28   #33705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
True those road users were flaunting all norms and putting other users at risk, what upsets me is that there are a whole bunch of fellow forum members who think along the lines, "If they deserve it, they better face the consequences and fend for themselves".
I raise you this gem.

I stumbled across this guy on instagram reels, and thought that he's doing probably one off stunts, but then I went to his YT channel and discovered a whole lot of videos which are all full of stupid stunts, and endangering fellow motorists.
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed