Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 21:42   #33706
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I raise you this gem.
I can understand why you shared it here, unfortunately you are playing into their hands. There are dime a dozen idiots on YT and Insta. Please stop making them (in)famous by giving them more hits and views.
mac187 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:46   #33707
Distinguished - BHPian

Why give views to an attention-seeking idiot? And, after six minutes, it doesn't show the accident anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 22:46   #33708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
^
The above accident of the BMW and the celerio definitely shows that whether your running is on the highway or confined to City limits, a safe car is a must!
I have seen a lot of people justifying their purchases of tin cans on here on team-bhp by saying that the running is confined to city only.
We have a lots of serious accidents examples on this thread itself that happened within city limits simply because roads are filled with idiots and money doesn't give someone common sense.
1) Not everyone can afford a BMW.

2) Anyone buying a so called tin can buys it for various reasons. If you can afford a BMW or any other 5 star rated car, good for you. But you need not ridicule others who buy them.

3) Instead of a Celerio Vs a BMW, imagine a situation of a BMW Vs a dump truck. The BMW certainly will not save you.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2021 at 19:40. Reason: Point made and taken, let's not get personal. Typo. Thanks.
Gansan is offline   (22) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2021, 23:01   #33709
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic rules are for all to follow. Doesn't matter if you are from the Police. Firstly they bully and side swipe the car with Dashcam while overtaking from left and then they try to bully the dump truck too. Net result - Instant Karma.

I seriously wonder what was the Innova driver thinking.
BoneCollector is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:13   #33710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
2) Anyone buying a so called tin can buys it for various reasons. If you can afford a BMW or any other 5 star rated car, good for you. But you need not ridicule others who buy them.
Barring the absolute entry level cars such as the Alto, nearly every price bracket has safe cars and unsafe cars. The Tiago, for example, is a lot safer than the Celerio for comparable prices.

The point being made in the post you quoted is that city driving only does not mean one should not consider safety ratings in the purchase process.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Quoted post edited.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:34   #33711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Barring the absolute entry level cars such as the Alto, nearly every price bracket has safe cars and unsafe cars. The Tiago, for example, is a lot safer than the Celerio for comparable prices.

The point being made in the post you quoted is that city driving only does not mean one should not consider safety ratings in the purchase process.
Agree. While Tin cans are safer than 2 wheeler's it's a crying shame that ZERO STAR atrocities are being sold to the Indian buyer's even to this date. Some of the Moose test videos on these atrocities are eye popping horrors. How many Car Manufacturers advertise the Frontal/Side collision results or Moose tests to sell their Car? How difficult is it for the government to mandate a minimum 3 STAR Driver and Passenger Safety rating in GNCAP? How difficult it is for the top/neutral automotive media to give the vehicle a full whack on a all-in-one track to put the tin cans in place. I don't want to take any manufacturer names but most of them are guilty of showing the short end of the stick to the Indian consumer in the name of Mileage and Bling features. Ultimately this becomes a vicious cycle of wallowing in mediocrity.
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 01:57   #33712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
How difficult is it for the government to mandate a minimum 3 STAR Driver and Passenger Safety rating in GNCAP?
While we have people sitting in 3 wheelers/auto rickshaws that are capable of decent speeds to cause great harm, it would be a complete double standard to mandate something for cars. Auto rickshaws - no seatbelts, no airbags, tiny wheels, and totally unstable. Yet, as a country we are yet to reach a standard where we can nudge these out of our roads.

You are right in asking for auto journalists to increase awareness, and make the public ask for better safety ratings, and features. Manufacturers are more likely to listen to their customers, than anyone else.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 02:24   #33713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Traffic rules are for all to follow. Doesn't matter if you are from the Police. Firstly they bully and side swipe the car with Dashcam while overtaking from left and then they try to bully the dump truck too. Net result - Instant Karma.
Benefit of the doubt: cops might have been on a genuine emergency, in which case traffic should should facilitate them getting through and give way. Of course, they might have just been late for dinner, but we can't make that judgement.

On the other side of the coin: even emergency-vehicle driver should drive safely.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 05:16   #33714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On the other side of the coin: even emergency-vehicle driver should drive safely.
Not to mention that the cop car was exactly inside that trucks blind zone/spot. That is always a problem on our roads.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 05:20   #33715
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what kind of troubles will the truck driver go through from the agencies who were driving this Innova.

Clearly, the Innova was in the Truck’s blind spot till the side hit happened.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 07:52   #33716
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/LKBSCKbqAHk

I seriously wonder what was the Innova driver thinking.
Cannot hear any sound so cannot comment on the siren but considering that the emergency lights are on, the PCR may well be on its way to attend a 112 call or any other emergency. In that scenario, overtaking from the left can be excused. As for the dumper truck, if the sirens were on, the blind spot theory falls in its face. Even if the sirens were not on , 360° flashing lights are designed to grab attention of other drivers making it very difficult for them to miss an emergency vehicle.

That being said, police drivers ought to drive more safely and carefully than an average driver.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:22   #33717
BHPian

Quote:
Barring the absolute entry level cars such as the Alto, nearly every price bracket has safe cars and unsafe cars.
Agree with everything on your post, especially on the ad hominem. Except though the assumption that people have a "black and white" choice between safe and unsafe cars in the market.

As someone who is looking at the 15L price range for my first car, the choices may have felt simple enough. Pick the Nexon or XUV3OO. But when it comes to putting down your hard earned money, while keeping your family happy with the purchase, it becomes very difficult because the two manufacturers who do provide safe cars in our country come with their own baggages as well.

My only point is this, yes the choices exist. But there are a variety of factors to be considered as well. We should keep that in mind before we accuse someone of choosing an unsafe car.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:23   #33718
BHPian

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any audio in the footage. Did the innova guy side swipe the car before getting side swiped by the truck?

If so, then yes it's a case of instant Karma.
If not, then while the siren should have alerted the truck driver of the approaching emergency vehicle from behind maybe he simply couldn't understand where it was coming from considering his blind spot.

Either way Innova guy should have been more careful.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:55   #33719
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova side swipe -

The audio was removed by me. There were no profanities but casual talk which I didn't want to upload. There was no siren of Innova and the lights were switched on just a few seconds before they overtook the car from left. I'm not justifying instant karma nor the car was blocking it's way. Infact the car did try to give way but when you're in choc a bloc traffic, it's difficult to give way. The incident happened at Dhaula Kuan grade separator. Even if they were in emergency, they just can't side swipe other vehicles and move on.
BoneCollector is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 11:19   #33720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I find this type of ad hominem far more irritating than the quoted post.
If people send barbs, they should expect barbs and not bouquets in return. If you don't like it, too bad. Let me say there are even much older and senior members on the forum who post like 19 year olds. I am tired of this tin can barb at every available opportunity. A tin can is what I could afford, and I don't like people making fun of my affordability. Get it? Because it amounts to that.

And I definitely will not choose a car just because it has an airbag or two over my brand preference. Which is strictly Japanese for car or bike. I personally will not touch a TATA car or a Korean with a barge pole as of now. I think TATA cars are Royal Enfields on four wheels. Am I tom-tomming my views at every opportunity? If I don't drive my Alto I will be riding my bike. Will I be safer on it? Else I will have to travel by an auto or hail a cab from Ola/Uber. Are they going to send me 5 star rated autos or cabs? It is for the government to mandate that cars sold should have at least 3 star safety rating. Till that happens, these cars are sold legally and people will buy them.

My brand perception may change in future. But that is what it is now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2021 at 15:15. Reason: typos
Gansan is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed