Old 26th October 2021, 21:17   #33826
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
https://Youtu.be/nKoiSpUiulI

What do we make of this incident?
Not sure, I might be wrong, but -
The three-wheeler (auto?) seems to be going a bit diagonally, sliding into the truck's lane. I say this because:

(i) the truck's front did not hit the other vehicle, and the exact moment of collision is not on camera, but is seems that the last few feet of the truck hit it. The truck did not seem to have moved leftwards. So it seems as if the auto ran into the truck and overturned.

(ii) if you slow down the video speed, it seems like the auto is very slowly going diagonally

(iii) there's a truck coming from the opposite direction (wrong way), so it's quite probable the auto guy was changing "lanes" recklessly. [EDIT: it seems the auto didn't have ORVMs, though not completely sure because the video quality isn't that great; but if that's the case, then this is even more probable - he just didn't see the truck and made the change in direction]

That being said, if that's the case, then the truck driver ought to have been more careful with that overtake. Seems to be running through just-enough-space-for-me-to-pass.

This is something that could have easily been avoided if our country had lane discipline. But this is on a road with no lane markings at all, where to expect the discipline from, lol.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 26th October 2021 at 21:20.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:20   #33827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
What do we make of this incident?
This is the third time the same video is being posted here.
It does not seem to be the container's fault. Yes, he is faster than the rickshaw but may not be over the speed limit. The real culprit is the truck driving in the opposite direction. In order to accommodate the truck, the rickshaw moved to the right without checking the rearview mirror. So according to me, it is mostly the truck's fault and the rickshaw's fault for not properly checking the mirror before moving right.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:03   #33828
BHPian

Received these pictures as a WhatsApp forward. As per the message - "This was an accident on Salem to Dharmapuri highway. A fully loaded container fell on the Linea, 4 members were travelling in it. All 4 just came out safely walking without any injuries. The car has been declared a total loss."

This accident is eerily similar to another Linea accident in the initial pages of this thread, where a fully loaded truck had fallen on a Linea and the occupants came out unscathed. Well, the good news stays the same here.

Gotta say the car did a commendable job here too!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa0017.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa0016.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa0019.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa0021.jpg  

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 26th October 2021 at 23:05.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:18   #33829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
... Gotta say the car did a commendable job here too!
Are we supposed to think that the car is the only thing holding the container up? I doubt that very much.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:59   #33830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are we supposed to think that the car is the only thing holding the container up? I doubt that very much.
I couldn't find more info about this accident. From the pictures, it does seem like it's the car that's holding the container up. Going by the trend of the previous Linea accident, it's not that unbelievable either.

If you look closely, suspension and wheels reflect the weight that it's holding. The rear-end of the container is visible in the first pic, the front-end in the third pic, and in between those boundaries, it's only the car that's holding it up. I couldn't spot anything else between that. And if that's the case, it's a commendable job for a car from that segment.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 01:12   #33831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't find more info about this accident. From the pictures, it does seem like it's the car that's holding the container up. Going by the trend of the previous Linea accident, it's not that unbelievable either.
As far as I can make out, the length side on the other side ( I mean to say the opposite side from what is on the Linea), is not touching the ground so there could be something else that it is on. The Linea is definitely one of the toughest built cars but I don't think it can balance weight magically like that there must be something else taking the load solely based on the fact that it is not touching the ground on any side, not that I can see anything else propping it up in the pictures.

Either way, certainly does make a strong case to scour the classifieds for a T-Jet once this weird boom in used car prices has thawed.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:23   #33832
BHPian

Quote:

If you look closely, suspension and wheels reflect the weight that it's holding. The rear-end of the container is visible in the first pic, the front-end in the third pic, and in between those boundaries, it's only the car that's holding it up. I couldn't spot anything else between that. And if that's the case, it's a commendable job for a car from that segment.
From the pictures, it looks like there is nothing else holding the container, except for the car.

However, for all we know, it may be an empty container but still Linea did a GREAT job
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:17   #33833
Senior - BHPian

B.E.S.T Tejaswini bus crashes into a dumper lorry at Dadar this morning, six injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b4.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:42   #33834
Distinguished - BHPian

What a sad sight that bus is.

With the container, it might have fallen slowly and reached some sort of equilibrium with some support from the car. We all know about the four pillars that hold a car roof: I don't believe they could possibly take the weight of a container, even empty. A quick google:
Quote:
Typically an empty 20 foot shipping container weighs between 1.8-2.2 metric tonnes (about 3,970 - 4,850 lb) and an empty 40 foot shipping container weighs 3.8 - 4.2 tonne (8,340 - 9,260 lb) depending on what kind of container it is. For example, high cube containers tend to be heavier.
But, just to be contrary, and put an opposing point: a car can roll, and still offer some protection to occupants, ie, it can take its own weight upside down with only some damage.

So I'll change my opinion to a maybe!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:09   #33835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As far as I can make out, the length side on the other side ( I mean to say the opposite side from what is on the Linea), is not touching the ground so there could be something else that it is on. The Linea is definitely one of the toughest built cars but I don't think it can balance weight magically like that there must be something else taking the load solely based on the fact that it is not touching the ground on any side, not that I can see anything else propping it up in the pictures.
Quote:

With the container, it might have fallen slowly and reached some sort of equilibrium with some support from the car. We all know about the four pillars that hold a car roof: I don't believe they could possibly take the weight of a container, even empty. A quick google:

But, just to be contrary, and put an opposing point: a car can roll, and still offer some protection to occupants, ie, it can take its own weight upside down with only some damage.

So I'll change my opinion to a maybe!
Again, I don't have any concrete info on the weight of the container though as per the WhatsApp msg, they say it was fully loaded. But it can go either ways. Strangely couldn't find more info on the web either about this accident.

Still seems like it's the car that is holding the container up, as can be seen from these overexposed images. Hope I'm not wrong.

At the end of the day sadly for us end users, both the brand and the car is no more, so this discussion might be going off topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa001901.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20211025wa001701.jpeg  

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 27th October 2021 at 13:36.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:00   #33836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still seems like it's the car that is holding the container up, as can be seen from these overexposed images. Hope I'm not wrong.
Really? For some reason it seems pretty clear to me that there is something else. For one there's the gap between the container and the ground at too many sides making a balancing act seem impossible, and for another; how did it even get there if it is just a container?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-inkedtbhpdown_li.jpg  

IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:06   #33837
BHPian

Quote:
What a sad sight that bus is.
We all know about the four pillars that hold a car roof: I don't believe they could possibly take the weight of a container, even empty. A quick google:

Quote:
Typically an empty 20 foot shipping container weighs between 1.8-2.2 metric tonnes (about 3,970 - 4,850 lb) and an empty 40 foot shipping container weighs 3.8 - 4.2 tonne (8,340 - 9,260 lb) depending on what kind of container it is. For example, high cube containers tend to be heavier.
The new Creta can take the weight of two african elephants, I didn't say it, its what they have advertised as. That translates to around 14000 kg, which means more than 7 cars of 2000kgs. Don't know how much true for a car with near 3 stars safety.

Pic source: gaadiwaadi.com
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-creta-elephant.jpg  

RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:21   #33838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
B.E.S.T Tejaswini bus crashes into a dumper lorry at Dadar this morning, six injured.
Name:  SmartSelect_20211027151940_Twitter.gif
Views: 916
Size:  5.31 MB

Quote:
Eight people were injured in a collision between a BEST bus and a dumper truck in Dadar area of Mumbai today morning. The condition of five people including driver & conductor of the bus is serious: Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai
Video Link
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:37   #33839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=1l9hqVg8CVs

Translation, somewhere in Pondicherry a family (Father, Mother and Kid) got caught between 2 busses while overtaking.
The 5/6 camera Truck / Bus surveillance system is a god send for transporters, and with it's own data sim continuously transmits to owners office for recording. Unluckily we cannot use it in cars and LCV's as it needs 24V input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

If you see carefully the red car also got bumped, the car owner is lucky that most of the hit was taken by the dumper, and not his vehicle.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 27th October 2021 at 15:47.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:50   #33840
Team-BHP Support

The red car (an SX4?) and the pedestrian with the backpack are very fortunate the bus didn't swing left pre or post impact. Could've ended horribly for them.

Most Viewed