Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 16:27   #33841
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

If I was a bus driver I would feel terribly vulnerable --- and drive accordingly.

This may seem counter-intuitive. Sure, I might get into bad habits bullying the small stuff on the roads, but with anything big, I'd really feel the lack of protection between me and it!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th October 2021 at 16:39.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:32   #33842
BHPian

It seems either the bus driver had no idea about he speed of the vehicles ahead of him or else it was a break failure of the bus. The red car is really lucky not to have had major damage as it seems that the bus has hit the car also.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:36   #33843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Really? For some reason it seems pretty clear to me that there is something else. For one there's the gap between the container and the ground at too many sides making a balancing act seem impossible, and for another; how did it even get there if it is just a container?
The smaller gap between container and road should be due to the wheels. As you can see the container is still at an angle and hasn't completely fallen flat. So the wheels at an angle (if it hasn't given away) will give that small gap. The cab isn't visible in this pic. At a steep angle like this, even if the cab is connected I'm not sure how much load shift it may provide. Since we don't have any more info, the physics behind can be anything ofcourse. May be the experts on our forum can help.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:41   #33844
Distinguished - BHPian

Containers are fastened onto the trailers... aren't they?
Old 27th October 2021, 18:14   #33845
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Really? For some reason it seems pretty clear to me that there is something else. For one there's the gap between the container and the ground at too many sides making a balancing act seem impossible
I think the picture isn't very clear. However, the truck's wheels must have gotten gotten deformed or resting in a slanted way, at locations marked with red
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.png  

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th October 2021 at 11:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:19   #33846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Video Link
What is it with that SX4, head lamps and fog lamps ON.

Guess the dumper slowed down for a speed hum (which is surprising) and the bus guy probably distracted or didn't pay attention to the dumpers speed.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:40   #33847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I was a bus driver I would feel terribly vulnerable...
Drove a minibus for a short while once, and an Omni on the highway. Both felt like the driving equivalent of walking around naked. Wouldn't want to do either except in an emergency.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 23:32   #33848
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I was a bus driver I would feel terribly vulnerable --- and drive accordingly.

This may seem counter-intuitive. Sure, I might get into bad habits bullying the small stuff on the roads, but with anything big, I'd really feel the lack of protection between me and it!
Interesting point, but I think there is a bigger counter logic at play too. The driving position of the bus driver is so close up to the front that he feels very confident in judging distances and his ability to stop just short of hitting the other vehicle (gives him bad habits). I'm sure all must have noticed busses tailing their cars by as close as 6 inches during congested traffic/ stoppages.

I think closer the driver is to the edge of the vehicle the more confident he feels in judging the distance and hence tends to drive closer to the next vehicle (of course that is a false perception).

Bikes! follow same logic, completely vulnerable but over-confident about judging traffic and their own dimensions.
SLK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:39   #33849
Senior - BHPian

An elderly Delhi couple committed suicide two days back. The wife was my mother's lifelong colleague and good friend. We are both distraught as well as understand completely

The reason?
They had been totally bedridden after an accident last year. They had been driving to Gonda in UP when the car crashed to avoid a wayward biker.

I am not sure of the exact details since friends do not discuss much, but I think they were in the rear seat because they have had a driver for a while.

Regardless, please make sure every soul in the car is belted up, and the car even has rear airbags.

Drive safe and slower than you can see.

Expect morons everywhere.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20211028082730_2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20211028082747.jpg
phamilyman is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:07   #33850
BHPian

Quote:
Really? For some reason it seems pretty clear to me that there is something else. For one there's the gap between the container and the ground at too many sides making a balancing act seem impossible, and for another; how did it even get there if it is just a container?
These containers are transported on flatbeds. So, while taking a turn, the container might have been thrown off the bed and landed on the car partially, while its long edge is still partially on the bed.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:00   #33851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
The sheer stupidity of it! They're lucky it didn't go any more bad - they weren't even wearing helmets
They don't wear helmets in Pondicherry. Ever.
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 15:38   #33852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
From the pictures, it looks like there is nothing else holding the container, except for the car.

However, for all we know, it may be an empty container but still Linea did a GREAT job
Agreed. Here’s one angle which I believe has not been shared so far.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fe7192e8339846a195c8b68a0ddb7dec.jpeg

This is from one of the first batch of Lineas which even had the additional support beam running across L-R middle of the roof.

An empty container weighs between 2-4 tonnes itself depending on 20/40 ft. As you can see even the LHS doors have caved in to the pressure which is the farther end of contact. As per witness they say this container was loaded but we never know. Also notice both left tyres flattened. This only means the lateral pressure due to the container weight had undone the tyres from the rims. The right tyres are intact since comparative lateral forces should have been lesser.
DRIV3R is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:54   #33853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Agreed. Here’s one angle which I believe has not been shared so far.

This is from one of the first batch of Lineas which even had the additional support beam running across L-R middle of the roof.
Hmmm, just as I was getting a thought about replacing my Tjet with MG Astor, I see this picture. Mine and family safety is No.1 in the order of preference when choosing automobiles and the Tjet comes with added advantage of one of the best driver's car. I dont know what other car could have withstood that kind of load on its roof.
I am putting off the thoughts of changing my car for now. Convinced my kids and wife that latest gizmos will not help save their lives when needed.
gopikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:27   #33854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
An elderly Delhi couple committed suicide two days back. The wife was my mother's lifelong colleague and good friend. We are both distraught as well as understand completely

The reason?
They had been totally bedridden after an accident last year. They had been driving to Gonda in UP when the car crashed to avoid a wayward biker.
What an awful story. Sympathy and condolences to you, other friends and family.

It's really sobering, because any of us, with a false move on the road, can destroy lives. But some just don't care about that. In this life, some of them will just drive away. I hope they come to realise and feel what they have done, in this or another life.

I'm not going to forget this. Again, really sorry about this tragedy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:55   #33855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Drive safe and slower than you can see.

Expect morons everywhere.

Attachment 2224904
Read it in today's ToI and felt bad. Retired couple, enjoying life and bang, some idiot ruined it. If the bike rider is well and alive, he should be sent this news by the daughter.

OT: As bad ToI is and as hopeless their editors are, does anyone know any teacher or any post as "teacher" in Delhi University? As I have never heard about any "teacher" posts in any university.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed