Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2021, 14:35   #34186
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
It’s Ertiga. Driver slept at the wheel in the middle of the day and straight went to hit at oncoming loaded tractor trolley. Ertiga driver did not possess driver’s license and was quite aged approx. >75 years. Tractor broke into 3 halves but luckily tractor driver survived the impact although he did got hurt I believe . Rest all passengers escaped without any visual injuries.
That was some good avoidance driving!it was quite evident right from the beginning of the footage that Ertiga was veering off the lane at good speed and it should have given the additional 2 to 3 precious seconds to brake in advance.
The impact was at good speed and the Ertiga literally bounced back on impact and even then no visual injuries? Happy, and surprised, that the famed Maruti build quality did not come into play!
careind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:03   #34187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Let the cops do the stopping and then catch up to settle the score, if one is that serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Finally, is it really that hard to catch a bus? .
Totally agree with the above points. In fact, I had a similar experience a few years back.

A private bus sideswiped my Baleno, taking out the side mirror and partially tearing off the front bumper. Anyone living in North Kerala knows what a menace the private buses are. Instead of chasing him down, I drove to the nearest police station and reported it. I just had the name and color of the bus, not even the number plates. It took the cops less than 5 minutes to figure out the bus. It was stopped by some traffic cops a few kms outside of town. In about 2-3 hours, the bus owner was at the police station and we worked out a suitable solution.

Self preservation should always be the priority while on the road.
GeneralJazz is offline   (153) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:11   #34188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Totally agree with the above points. In fact, I had a similar experience a few years back.

A private bus sideswiped my Baleno, taking out the side mirror and partially tearing off the front bumper. Anyone living in North Kerala knows what a menace the private buses are. Instead of chasing him down, I drove to the nearest police station and reported it.
Perfect!

This is what each one of us should do. Instead of chasing the other vehicle, move towards the real solution. Road is not the place for racing or chasing.
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:29   #34189

Adding my own experience. Nothing happened, but it was a close shave.

At the time of farmer protest, I was travelling to Jaipur from Delhi, so near Shahjahanpur toll plaza, police diverted the traffic through service lane, at one point my car (Verna 4s) and a truck were moving parallel in the same direction, hardly at a speed of 20kmph. As we were moving, suddenly he steered towards me (left side) without any reason , I honked as it got very close to the side mirror. The conductor shouted to me " rukja nahi toh dab jaayega" (stop or you will get crushed). I just murmured, why don't you pick on someone your own size!
MangoMan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:42   #34190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anyone who thinks there's any safe way to play chicken with a large/heavy vehicle and 'win' needs their head examined. Irrespective of the justifications you imagine in your head, don't bother trying it in real life, just don't.
What is to be gained even if one does "catch" the vehicle? Is the driver going to pay up for the damage? Is one ever going to get anything worthwhile from the State bus company?

To chase an escaping, or even just speeding, vehicle, one has to drive worse than they are driving. More dangerously than they are driving. As another poster said, if the damage is enough, this is what is insurance is for; if not, then, for example, denting and painting one panel is just one of the overheads of driving our own car.

As Chetan_Rao says; Just don't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:06   #34191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Brand new Mahindra XUV700 met with an accident in Bengaluru. No impact to the cabin but the front fascia is completely damaged.

Received on Whatsapp
Oh damn! I know this location and stay very close-by. The supermarket that you see in the background is my go-to for grocery needs.

The road in this section is EXTREMELY confusing. Part of the road is one-way but Google Maps sometimes show this as two-way. Even to folks who live there it is confusing. More than half of the road is also dug up with no markers anywhere.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xuv700-spot.jpg

Let me try and explain to the best:

In the image above, the "Hoodi Main Road" on the right side above the fork, has both the carriage-ways south-bound (on either side of medians as indicated by the arrows). However, the right side carriage-way (red-line) is mostly dug up means nobody can use those lanes. Which means all vehicles coming from Hoodi (NE direction outside of image), have to take the left-side carriageway in the south-bound direction.

At the fork, the left side arm of the fork goes north-bound as a single-carriageway.

Also, the road below technically has the classic dual-carriage way. However, it is effectively a single lane road having both side traffic, since one of the carriage-ways is completely dug up (South direction outside of image).

That yellow shaded portion is a hodgepodge of traffic moving in all sorts of direction. Oh and did I say there is no traffic moderation? No cop, no traffic lights. Nobody knows which is the right way of movement there. It's a jungle. In the sense, you're on your own and you have to find your way out.

And that pink "X" mark. That's your martyred XUV700.

If you've got the picture of the traffic mess that this is, it'll be easier to imagine what would have transpired.

The car is south-bound on the picture which means he probably came by the green line on the image. He needed to go southbound but would've naturally assumed that the road ahead (blue-line) is the right road, because hey, that's how I was coming and it's all one-way. My guess is that the XUV700 driver would have been confused which lane to take and probably swerved at the end.

Since it's also a place where scooters, YuLu and cycles keep jumping in, somebody could've jumped him. Truly a hodgepodge, I say and alas.

Such a beautiful car, broke. A true martyr failed by the Bengaluru roads.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 21st December 2021 at 18:14.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:48   #34192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
I do hope people do retain their sanity while driving and face the problem in case of an accident rather than running away from it. Recently there was a case of a Benz driven by a woman who hit a two wheeler and tried escaping the scene causing even more damage.
I definitetly agree to your point of maintaining sanity while driving. But there is no option for citizens when such arrogant bus drivers are also at fault. Anyone who has travelled between Coimbatore-Trichy would have noticed, all government buses occupy 3/4th of the road and do not even allow to pass, be it in any direction. They come as if they are going to hit us head-on. Do we have a mechanism to report such incidents, Not really. All you can do is call the depot manager and complain, but all they will do is will say noted and nothing happens.

In many cases i have heard myself govt., bus drivers cursing cars saying they are working hard day and night and these guys having expensive cars and occupying the roads. So, the mindset itself is very negative.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
silverstreakcbe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:35   #34193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
My guess is that the XUV700 driver would have been confused which lane to take and probably swerved at the end.
However, if he was going home after taking delivery - it would have been his regular route. Even if to a temple/native towards Kolar, it would have been a familiar route. I would still say non-familiarity with vehicle/driving a car.
Old 21st December 2021, 19:44   #34194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
My speculation on the Dr. Karthikeyan's accident.
There might have been an issue where the bus might have scrapped the car earlier. This might have made him to chase the bus and try and get the issue sorted. The bus driver rather than stopping would've tried and prevented him from overtaking adding more to his rage. From the video, which shows that the car overtook the bus from the left while the entire right lane was free. I do believe that while Dr. Karthikeyan was trying to overtake from the left lane, the bus might have deliberately veered off to the left lane to try and prevent him from overtaking, thus pushing him to the shoulders where he might have accelerated heavily and try and pull the vehicle infront of the bus. And as I do believe by, accelerating while taking High speed turns don't Always turn out good, caused him to loose control and spin which was prevented by the speeding bus which hit the car and pushed it to the opposite lane.
If things happened in this manner, the bus driver is clearly at guilt for causing a fatal accident.
Another version could be that the earlier scrapping incident was cooked up to paint Dr. Karthikeyan in a poor light to save the bus driver. For all we know (or don't know) Dr. Karthikeyan could have been overtaking the bus on the left lane and sped up to avoid a collision when the bus driver decided to switch lanes inappropriately. I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence I was able to brake and recover. Irrespective of which ever theory is true, the bus driver should be booked for murder of Dr. Karthikeyan.

Lord Lucan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 21:00   #34195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence I was able to brake and recover.
Well, TNSTC bus drivers are arrogant. Here is my sample from today

PrasannaDhana is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 21:12   #34196
BHPian

Quote:
For all we know (or don't know) Dr. Karthikeyan could have been overtaking the bus on the left lane and sped up to avoid a collision when the bus driver decided to switch lanes inappropriately.
I don't mean to be insensitive to the departed soul, but just sharing my point of view from a scientific standpoint.

Irrespective of the "stage" of overtake, I believe that emergency braking is the way to go in such a scenario. Just like how you did in the video. Speeding up to avoid collision, in this use case, doesn't make sense to me at least.

My reasons:

1) One would most likely stop much faster than accelerating to clear the bus. The bus is carrying a lot of momentum and even if they try to brake it'll take a long time.

2) Even if you don't clear, the chances of grevious mishap is lower. You are decelerating and the bus is accelerating relatively.

The simple thumb rule according to me is that if the gap is closing brake instead of accelerating. It might not save you from a collision but it has much lower chance of a serious accident.
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 21:24   #34197
BHPian

Road Rage is the worst enemy. We should never get it into our veins. Both the videos above are scary.
Old 21st December 2021, 21:45   #34198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, TNSTC bus drivers are arrogant. Here is my sample from today

https://Youtu.be/2uvxGg1SRb4
I don't want to blanket blame the TNSTC drivers as I have seen some good souls who seem to be the only ones who actually allows to overtake on a highway. There are always bad apples out there like you encountered here. Relatively they are a better bunch than their private counterparts who drive like there is no tomorrow and stop anywhere.
Yieldway17 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 22:50   #34199
BHPian

But the cardinal rule is you do not overtake a vehicle from the left side especially a large and lethargic vehicle like an STC bus on a single lane carriage way, and when the vehicle is on the wrong side. The vehicle will be steered to its lane at any time without any care.
AJITHAAA is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 05:21   #34200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another version could be that the earlier scrapping incident was cooked up to paint Dr. Karthikeyan in a poor light to save the bus driver.
Quite often what we read in the media about the cause of road crashes aren't 100% real. Wait that holds good for all news in general.

Quote:
For all we know (or don't know) Dr. Karthikeyan could have been overtaking the bus on the left lane and sped up to avoid a collision when the bus driver decided to switch lanes inappropriately.
Let me break that down for you.

1. Vehicle on the right lane is ahead.
2. Vehicle on the left lane is behind and attempts to overtake the vehicle ahead.
3. Vehicle on the right lane is moving to the left lane but is still ahead of the vehicle in the left lane.
4. Vehicle on the left lane accelerates hard to end up in front of the vehicle on the right lane.

That's plain stupid driving.

Quote:
I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence I was able to brake and recover.
You should NOT have attempted to overtake that bus the way you did. Its suicidal.

Quote:
Irrespective of which ever theory is true, the bus driver should be booked for murder of Dr. Karthikeyan.
For what?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2021 at 08:32. Reason: Typo.
kiku007 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed