Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:14   #34201
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Brand new Mahindra XUV700 met with an accident in Bengaluru.
Hope the driver wasn't on ADAS.

Jokes say that the estimated delivery after repairs is 2050.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:09   #34202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
... I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence...
I'll agree with the 'lucky' part, you're very fortunate it didn't end horribly for you.

As to the driving itself, what were you thinking trying to pass a bus on its left (arguably in his blind spot too) on an undivided carriageway?

You're expecting him to stay on the oncoming lane, endangering himself, his passengers and any oncoming traffic just so you can get ahead? What part of that sequence seems safe to you?

That video can go straight into a 'how not to overtake' tutorial.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:36   #34203
BHPian

I generally avoid overtaking any bus from the left. The reason is that I do not know when the bus would swerve left for a bus stop, and in my experience, most buses do that without warning or indication, either because I'm in the drivers' blind spot or they have their own issues and really don't care if I get crushed and die.
So I always wait for the right lane to clear before overtaking any bus. Other heavy vehicles, you have to take a call. You could possibly creep forward watchfully and overtake a container lorry from the left, but never a bus.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:40   #34204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'll agree with the 'lucky' part, you're very fortunate it didn't end horribly for you.

As to the driving itself, what were you thinking trying to pass a bus on its left (arguably in his blind spot too) on an undivided carriageway?
That doesn't look like an undivided highway to me. Looks like the 4 lane road towards Chennai(visible lettering on the bus) somewhere near Tindivanam, if I am not wrong. We accept bad driving from the bus drivers as part of routine life and expect the lesser vehicles to make allowance for their mistakes (which we should if we want to survive on our roads) - but the bus driver isn't entirely blame-free.

To the OP - defensive driving is the key on our roads. No matter whose mistake it is, it's going to end badly for us. I assume since you were in the fast lane a few moments before in the video, the bus driver must not have noticed you when you changed to the left lane. Always maintain a big margin for error on the highways. Better to slow down - get behind the bus - change lanes - flash lights and honk - before overtaking. Even then there is no guarantee that the bus will not veer into your lane to avoid something moving even slower in his lane. Keep your speeds such that you can abort the overtaking mid-maneuver.
darkfantasy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:46   #34205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a divided highway - both lanes are for vehicles traveling in the same direction.

However, I agree with the overall point - there is simply too much impatience being displayed by the car. Wait for the bus to make way and overtake using the right lane and you'll lose all of 30 seconds.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:47   #34206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence I was able to brake and recover.
Hope the pick up behind you whose space you ate into, was also able to brake and recover.

The cause of this is very clear. You were not in the bus's mirror when he must have looked up before switching lane as you were behind the bus until you swerved to the left to overtake suddenly. What he saw must be that Bolero pick up which was far behind and may not have looked up again in the mirror in the last second to see you coming.

Quote:
You're expecting him to stay on the oncoming lane, endangering himself, his passengers and any oncoming traffic just so you can get ahead? What part of that sequence seems safe to you?
I see that is a divided 4 lane road. Not a single carriage way and the bus was just switching lane probably for a bus stop ahead or just to stick to the slow moving left lane.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 22nd December 2021 at 10:00.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:02   #34207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post
That doesn't look like an undivided highway to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
It is a divided highway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I see that is a divided 4 lane road...
You're right. Wrong about the undivided bit, my apologies. I'll stand by the driving comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post
... We accept bad driving from the bus drivers as part of routine life and expect the lesser vehicles to make allowance for their mistakes (which we should if we want to survive on our roads) - but the bus driver isn't entirely blame-free...
In an ideal world, safe and right wouldn't be an either/or choice.

In the real world, safe supersedes everything else. Physics doesn't care for any laws except its own.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:09   #34208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

A case of road rage. His car (Amaze, according to photos in other news channels) completely crushed on impact as expected with any 100+kmph front on collision of any car with a bus doing 50-60kmph.

I am afraid what if it was a motorcycle instead of bus in the opposite lane?

Enter highways leaving anger at home. RIP.
This is another tragic remainder that we should be focussing on survival at all times. Both 2 wheeler and a 18 wheeler hold an equal level of threat to our survival on road by either riot or impact. We need to be prepared to take a few hits which God mercifully prevents from happening not too often inspite of our carefulness or our safety ratings.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:17   #34209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
My speculation on the Dr. Karthikeyan's accident.
There might have been an issue where the bus might have scrapped the car earlier. This might have made him to chase the bus and try and get the issue sorted. The bus driver rather than stopping would've tried and prevented him from overtaking adding more to his rage. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PompousKnight View Post
I strongly believe the bus driver veered towards the left to stop the overtake, thereby causing the accident. To my eyes, it seems the bus hit the amaze by going left than the amaze grazing the bus by moving to the right.
I can relate to these. A few years back I was in Hyderabad and a bus driver within the city was driving recklessly & almost hit the car I was driving. In a bid to overtake the bus and try to stop him to give him an earful, I also was driving a little faster and find a gap to overtake him. The bus driver veered left and right to prevent me from overtaking. In that process I had a few near misses & my co-passenger, my friend whose car I was driving told me to calm down and reminded me that the government bus drivers have legal protection in this matter (I just trusted his recommendation & did not counter the point). No point in fighting with such people. Even in this case of the Red Amaze being scrapped and then run into the accident, I doubt if the driver would even get a slap on the wrist.

Last edited by aayusht : 22nd December 2021 at 10:20. Reason: additional reference to the incident
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:59   #34210
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

The cause of this is very clear. You were not in the bus's mirror when he must have looked up before switching lane as you were behind the bus until you swerved to the left to overtake suddenly.
Aptly said.
I follow the principle of getting acknowledgement of heavy vehicle drivers before overtaking them. Be it in city or highways. Due to huge blind spots, heavy vehicle dynamics and idiots on road, it is very difficult for truck and bus drivers to know who is squeezing in from left or right.

It's a matter of few seconds wait till they happily let you overtake when it is safe for both vehicles.
HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:07   #34211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, TNSTC bus drivers are arrogant. Here is my sample from today

https://Youtu.be/2uvxGg1SRb4
Since you have proof of wrongdoing by the Driver, you should ideally raise a complaint against him on/with relevant forum/department/agency.

Regardless of the outcome, something needs to be done for this case. This isn't something that should be the norm.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:15   #34212
BHPian

Quote:
Enter any automobile leaving anger at home.

Of late I have been witnessing some crazy raged driving even inside crowded city traffic. Not at all healthy for any of the parties involved.
Recently got run off the road by a dude in a black XUV5OO!! Wanted to chase him down but backed off looking at the "Baby On Board" sticker in the back....
MadSnapper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:17   #34213
BHPian

Quote:

You are lucky! That was a close one. The bus did not show any signs of giving you any room at all.

Though I have little love for these State transport drivers, many of them are quite decent and drive reasonably well, but driving all the time in noisy and uncomfortable conditions probably takes its toll on their mental state as well. Sometimes they take rash decisions such as this and put their massive bus in a very dangerous position on the road.

The private transport mafia is completely something else. I once booked an impromptu trip to Tirupati in a private transport from Bangalore. The bus was supposed to start at 10 pm, but arrived from its previous trip only around 11 pm. The remaining few people got out and the current trip folks rushed in in a mad scramble. The bus owner was in a rush to change one of the wheels, and he jacked up the bus while people were boarding and continued to do so mindless of the danger involved. The driver was visibly tired, and the conversation was somewhat as follows -

Owner: You have to do tonight's duty as well.
Driver: I have not had dinner yet and there was too much traffic.
Owner: Just start the bus and let people fall asleep, then you can take rest along the way. They wont know.

The bus proceeded, and I spent some time sitting in the front cabin with the driver purely as I was paranoid that he might fall asleep. Needless to say the drive was one of the worst, maniacal driving I have ever seen and he was quite proud of forcing other cars out the road and managed to reach Tirupati on time.

An unrested driver, late and probably inebriated, proud of his apathy to others on the road, and encouraged by his owner to do so - That is the private scene.

I always give them a wide berth and do not mind a few scrapes but dealing with such people is not possible. As the saying goes - do not wrestle with a pig; not only will both of you get dirty, the pig will enjoy it too!
kirans is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:23   #34214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/2uvxGg1SRb4
That's not just arrogance. It should be deemed as attempt to murder the other car driver by this bus driver. Luckily you had a bit of space on the left to steer clear. What if there was no space or there was some railing over there. Then your only options are a head on with the bus or going into the railing, both life threatening. Like someone mentioned you should report this even if no big outcome out of it.

Thankfully, Here in NCR most bus drivers drive sensibly, maybe it's the strictness of challans in delhi region. It's the Auto drivers who are the rowdy ones here.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:49   #34215
BHPian

Shocking & sad accident of the Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
My speculation on the Dr. Karthikeyan's accident.....
That's a good summarization of what probably transpired, the bus driver was driving rash and once he realized that the car driver was irate he tried his best to avoid confrontation or possibly even gaslighted him further by blocking him.

That said, I think the mistake was made by the car driver by chasing and trying to block the bus.
The bus driver does this on a daily basis, he's a professional rash driver, has a weight advantage and possibly also a "nothing to lose" advantage.

I look at such unfortunate incidents and try and learn from the other person's unfortunate mistakes. God knows I have had ego trips and minor road rash incidents. This thread is a reminder to change my bad habits.

Quote:
.... I am attaching a similar sample incident below, .....
I think on a Single carriageway the overtake always has to happen from the right. What you did, unknowingly, was to sabotage the bus's manoeuvre.
I have had instances where, while attempting an overtake, the car behind me filled up my safe space, incase the overtake didn't work out, I didn't have any place to go. If in such cases the Car on the right pushes the car on the left out of the road, I would say it's the only option for them.

Others have also mentioned similar thoughts.

My Experience - I personally get competitive/reactive while driving and have to remind myself that the first priority on public roads has to be safety, Everyone's safety, Period.
It might mean giving way to an absolute moron who thinks he owns the road, but if that means that you are going to ensure your safety then that's the goal.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks