Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2021, 21:16   #34291
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Very well said! The physicist Richard Feynman said something on similar lines post the Challenger space shuttle disaster
For successful technology, reality must take precedence over PR (not in medical terms) as nature cannot be fooled.

He was asked to investigate the challenger disaster due to his standing for the whole investigation was a cover-up by NASA insiders and administrators. He then went to publicly demonstrate the failings of the O-ring material which was a known short-coming that he was led on to by a whistleblower.
Old 27th December 2021, 21:34   #34292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Buddy I'm sorry about damage to your car, I've faced the similar situation for no fault of mine. But I feel you could have just taken the pics of the cars at that position, took photos of the BMW and the guy's driving license and straight away told him that your insurance company will get in touch with him. Frankly it's just paint damage, luckily no dents. With some rubbing compound, most of the scratches will be taken care of. As far as chipped paint is a concern, will probably need a proper paint coat. Let me assure you, in no way I am belittling your post or the damage to your car. I am just saying you could have avoided the cops and police station ride and just focused on enjoying holiday with your family completely agree with you on getting the dashcam installed ! I'll suggest getting one dashcam for rear as well, as city traffic is just worse.
Honestly, I probably would have let it go if the guy simply owned up for what he did. Initially, I thought the damage was much worse as there was layer of whitish stuff near the scratches that you see in the picture. Thankfully, after rubbing with my hand, they disappeared leaving only the scratches which will need a repaint. I was a little relieved after seeing that. I understand everybody can make mistakes and as long as they are not serious, its best to let it go. But I also believe everybody should own up for their fault, however big or small those faults may be. As mentioned in my previous post, I had my share of accidents when I was learning to drive, thankfully none of them were serious. However, I always admitted my mistake and probably due to that, nobody has ever dragged me to the police yet. As soon as I saw that there were no dents, I knew it should not cost much to fix, however the other guy kept insisting that I was at fault and I should pay for his damages. This really was too much for me as not only was his driving at fault, he was trying to avoid responsibility for what he did. If only the other guy had the guts to admit his fault, probably both of us could have enjoyed Christmas.
avi_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 23:55   #34293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
A speeding lorry crashed into a TNSTC bus today morning. 8 people were injured. Looks like the Lorry lost the brakes

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=B690ALph_oc
I remember reading a while ago that 2019 alone saw almost 22,000 deaths due to trucks in India. It might have dipped in 2020 due to travel restrictions, but I have not seen the official data.
The common reasons could be overspeeding, insufficient pay leading to shortage of good drivers and poor road conditions.
But the most significant reason surely has to be the shoddy maintenance of the trucks themselves. For every well maintained truck on the road, I usually spy two other metal contraptions which seem like one slap away from total disintegration.
In this case, it is very possible that the lorry's poor brakes might have existed for a while and were just not repaired in time.
Small Bot is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 01:16   #34294
BHPian

1. Arrived on scene just after some kind of road incident between a SUV and a motorcycle in a narrow village road. Saw couple of slaps and arguments flying around. Booked out of the place when I could get some space.

2. Again arrived on scene just after an accident between what appeared to be a pedestrian and a car (unclear if it's the SUV standing ahead). The video is not clear due to it being twilight and people crowding around but there was a person on the road down and unconscious with bit of blood around and various car parts like headlight glass, wipers strewn around on the road. After 5 mins saw a 108 ambulance rushing the opposite way so hopefully he is fine.

Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 12:23   #34295
BHPian

Regarding the BMW/Swift incident - this happens when everyone tries to squeeze in a small lane all at once with a "me too" mentality.

There are only 2 lanes, for 2 cars, but people squeeze in 4 cars leaving no margin at all!

See Pic - This is how i place my vehicle whenever possible.

Dont place your car on the extreme right or left. Place it in the lane that is meant for you , such that the car behind you cannot steal the lane from either side. In fact this has helped reduce bottlenecks sometimes.
Attached Images

Last edited by aerohit : 28th December 2021 at 12:25.
aerohit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 07:58   #34296
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
How long before two wheelers and/or autos come and fill the 'space' either side of you, like sand capable of 'finding room' in a jar 'full' with pebbles ? So instead of a 'small gap' on either side with 4 wheelers, now it will become a case of 'no gap, can't move until all of them have leaked away'. Sometimes the 'sand' will sustain around you for 20-30 minutes, as you inch forward in a massive jam.

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th December 2021 at 07:59.
venkyhere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 08:40   #34297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Regarding the BMW/Swift incident - this happens when everyone tries to squeeze in a small lane all at once with a "me too" mentality.

There are only 2 lanes, for 2 cars, but people squeeze in 4 cars leaving no margin at all!

Dont place your car on the extreme right or left. Place it in the lane that is meant for you , such that the car behind you cannot steal the lane from either side. In fact this has helped reduce bottlenecks sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
How long before two wheelers and/or autos come and fill the 'space' either side of you, like sand capable of 'finding room' in a jar 'full' with pebbles ? So instead of a 'small gap' on either side with 4 wheelers, now it will become a case of 'no gap, can't move until all of them have leaked away'. Sometimes the 'sand' will sustain around you for 20-30 minutes, as you inch forward in a massive jam.
Will have to agree partially to both of you.

aerohit's technique is something that I am comfortable practicing in a city like Chandigarh, where people tend to follow the traffic rules mostly, a few exceptions can still be found.

venkyhere's scenario is valid for a city like Bangalore, where a 2-wheeler or 3-wheeler will enter any and every gap, even if the margin for error is zero and even if they end up creating the bottleneck(s), as they will delay each car's start by atleast 3 seconds in tightly packed traffic, which becomes a lot when you consider the volume traffic in Bangalore.
Old 29th December 2021, 11:23   #34298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_swift View Post
t[*]I always assumed that in India, the more expensive cars tend to drive more safely. Not anymore. This X1 was probably less than a month old and I thought it was really weird that someone can drive a brand new BMW like that. Don't cars like these come with front sensors?[*]And lastly, I have decided to get a dashcam. I was dilly dallying whether to get one since I consider myself a safe driver and never test my limit or the car's. But as this incident rudely pointed out, I can get into trouble even after driving safe. I don't think the outcome would have been any different in this case even if there was a dashcam, but if the situation is more serious than this, a dashcam would have been vital.[/list]
Extremely sorry to read about this accident and unpleasant experience on Christmas day.

I would strongly suggest to get a dashcam installed with hardwired, and try to get a unit with supercapacitor considering Delhi/ NCR summer temperatures.

Also, I faced similar things on roads. Bigger and stronger cars drive recklessly in NCR (at least in Gurgaon). And they would bully smaller cars or peace loving drivers always. Monday night I was driving in KMP and DL/ HR cars kept on blinking their projector LED or whatever XYZ string lightbeam headlamps despite of the fact I was driving in the middle lane at a comfortable 70-80 kmph speed and acres of free space were available on both sides.

Just thinking what will happen once people start receiving the XUV 700 s and take them on road/ highways. I always keep a safe distance from the bigger and luxurious cars.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:57   #34299
anb
BHPian

A Bolero toppled during off-roading. The accident happened in Parumthumpara in Idukki district of Kerala.

anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 14:10   #34300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Bolero toppled during off-roading. The accident happened in Parumthumpara in Idukki district of Kerala.
Quite a weird style of driving. The acceleration inputs don't seem smooth at all, which is like Off-roading 101. Either the driver is not experienced for this OR the clutch is so fried that the bite-point is not predictable at all. Either way - this car OR the driver, don't seem to belong at that location.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 16:55   #34301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_swift View Post
I told him that if the other guy owned up to his mistake and reimburse my insurance NCB, I would be satisfied. This time, he agreed and gave me 1000.
I don't think anyone has commented on this, but I find it disgusting that the owner of such a BMW would give Rs.1,000 in such a case. That probably hurt him as much as giving Rs10 to a beggar. Even if the principle is to repay the loss of NCB, it is still nothing. NCBs take several years of higher premiums to recover.

Many of us know very well how much it costs to repaint a panel. Yes, there are cheaper tinkers and painters shops than I have used, but if there was a 45% chance of that being my fault, I would offer, or be prepared to be bargained up to, around 10k.

If the guy is in business, his time alone, spent trying not to pay anything, might have cost him more.

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:28   #34302
anb
BHPian

Rajnikanth style unloading by tipper truck

anb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 01:11   #34303
BHPian

Happened to witness the aftermath of a multiple vehicle collision today at Taj Expressway. Visibility was very poor and it's no surprise this happened. Hope no one was seriously injured. Anyways, here's the video
MotoBlip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 07:36   #34304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Visibility was very poor and it's no surprise this happened.
So many bystanders and no one is bothered to switch on the hazard lights on their cars? Or is it that people use it only when they're taking the straight road at crossroads? The traffic rules should be taught during school and college.
BoneCollector is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 08:48   #34305
BHPian

Quote:
Rajnikanth style unloading by tipper truck
Did you notice how BALD the tires were? Wonder how the truck got there at first place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks