Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 10:28   #34471
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

BMTC bus on fire: driver, conductor save 25 passengers (ToI news article)

Quote:
When smoke started billowing out of the engine, the 25 passengers onboard the BMTC bus began to panic. But before the bus could go up in flames, two real-life heroes came to their rescue.
adisan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:23   #34472
Senior - BHPian

Bus and Delivery Van Accident in Kollam, Kerala:

The Van driver died and the assistant is in hospital along with some of the bus passengers.

The impact is just horrendous and gives a good perspective on the forces behind high speed collisions.

Most of our roads here are scary to drive in with two laned highways and heavy vehicular traffic of all sorts and hardly any bypasses for towns/cities.
deathwalkr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:34   #34473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The Van driver died and the assistant is in hospital along with some of the bus passengers.

The impact is just horrendous and gives a good perspective on the forces behind high speed collisions.
What an horrible accident!
It feels like the van was in the correct lane and the bus was on the wrong lane.
Was the bus trying to overtake the white Swift? (around 50-55 seconds into the video)
Very scary to see. Two 2-wheeler folks also injured due to no fault of their own.
May the departed soul rest in peace and the survivors recover to good health soon.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:16   #34474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of our roads here are scary to drive in with two laned highways and heavy vehicular traffic of all sorts and hardly any bypasses for towns/cities.
Luckily both the two wheel riders were having helmets on and that did save them.
Old 24th January 2022, 15:27   #34475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
It feels like the van was in the correct lane and the bus was on the wrong lane.
Was the bus trying to overtake the white Swift? (around 50-55 seconds into the video)
Yes, this can be seen in CCTV video from a different angle, seen in this page.
StarrySky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:32   #34476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Horrific! The delivery van itself was moving forward and not stationary, yet pulled back several metres by the bus after impact.
Old 24th January 2022, 16:01   #34477
BHPian

That bus driver should be booked for murder. This happened in my hometown, and it could have been any of our office vans, or even our own personal vehicles. I'm trembling at the thought.

KL bus drivers drive like they own the $$$$ing road. These people, no, these animals, should be booked for murder.
DDiSLover is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:38   #34478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Yes, this can be seen in CCTV video from a different angle, seen in this page.
Thanks. It is very clear from the other video that the Bus driver was completely crazy to attempt such an overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
That bus driver should be booked for murder. ....
I have to agree begrudgingly. It was a moronic overtake maneuver leading to a loss of life & injuries.
Old 24th January 2022, 16:44   #34479
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru journalist dies after truck falls on him (Deccan Herald new report)

Quote:
A senior copy editor at a well-known daily, was riding a motorcycle on his way to the newspaper’s offices in Chamarajpet when the accident unfolded in a most tragic way during the evening rush hour, according to police.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 18:06   #34480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. It is very clear from the other video that the Bus driver was completely crazy to attempt such an overtake.
It is sadly very common to see bus drivers do risky mad overtaking like this. Relying on the other persons will to live to make way for the bus who sits high and mighty in a vehicle not owned by him.

In my little experience, it progresses the more you go up North in the state. In my hometown of Kozhikode, even in City limits you could witness bus drivers honking to kingdom come to make you give way (even if there is no space) and the conductors will be banging on the bus door to add to the mad cacophony
deathwalkr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 19:45   #34481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
That bus driver should be booked for murder. This happened in my hometown, and it could have been any of our office vans, or even our own personal vehicles. I'm trembling at the thought.

KL bus drivers drive like they own the $$$$ing road. These people, no, these animals, should be booked for murder.
Quote:
It is sadly very common to see bus drivers do risky mad overtaking like this. Relying on the other persons will to live to make way for the bus who sits high and mighty in a vehicle not owned by him.

In my little experience, it progresses the more you go up North in the state. In my hometown of Kozhikode, even in City limits you could witness bus drivers honking to kingdom come to make you give way (even if there is no space) and the conductors will be banging on the bus door to add to the mad cacophony
The sad and frustrating part is that this is not new. This kind of driving by bus drivers has been happening since years with major accidents to go with it. And nothing is been done about it except one transport commisoner who when he did something, was transfered without fail.

It is so evident from the video that the van driver paid a heavy price for sticking to his lane and not to get bullied. Can't imagine the outcome if it was a car that did the same.
Totally lost interest in driving to Kerala with all these accidents.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 21:05   #34482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if it is just an illusion, but if you observe carefully, that white swift also played a dirty part here. Just as when the bus was starting to overtake him, he was at a lower speed, but as soon as the bus started passing him, he seems to be acceralating and the bus drivers calculation went for a toss. I guess that is what happened. Not blaming him per se, but that looks to have contributed to this whole thing.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 01:25   #34483
BHPian

Quote:
Bus and Delivery Van Accident in Kollam, Kerala
Not to sound judgmental, but most accidents related to rash driving of busses seem to emerge in Kerala. Is it me or the bus drivers in Kerala just plain crazy when it comes to safe driving. I always steer clear of them every time I drive to Guruvayur. I am surprised the authorities don't do anything to keep this in check.
SR-71 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 07:24   #34484
BHPian

Quote:
Bus and Delivery Van Accident in Kollam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Not to sound judgmental, but most accidents related to rash driving of busses seem to emerge in Kerala. Is it me or the bus drivers in Kerala just plain crazy when it comes to safe driving. I always steer clear of them every time I drive to Guruvayur. I am surprised the authorities don't do anything to keep this in check.
In this case, the said van is used for transporting seafood. They are also known for their rash driving. For them reaching the destination is paramount and most of such vehicles are driven very recklessly.

I'm in no way absolving the attitude of bus drivers.

In Kerala, most of the roads are single lanes and mix it with the inflated ego of road users, perfect recipe for road disaster.

Whatever the reason the outcome is very sad, God help us all.

Last edited by Vasuki : 25th January 2022 at 07:27.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 09:47   #34485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Is it me or the bus drivers in Kerala just plain crazy when it comes to safe driving. I always steer clear of them every time I drive to Guruvayur. I am surprised the authorities don't do anything to keep this in check.
No its not just you, the bus drivers are absolutely crazy here, especially in North Kerala. And yeah, as is being proven every single day, they are above the law.

And their behaviour has gotten worse over the years. I believe its partly due to the ever increasing number of vehicles on the road, and the stagnant road infrastructure. Take for example the Thalassery-Calicut stretch. Its about 70 kms, and used to take about 1.5 hrs several years ago. But now, its 2-2.5 hrs minimum during daytime, more if one were to drive safely. There are times when it has taken 4+ hours. To cover 70kms. Yeah

For buses, both KSRTC and private, the timetable mentions about 2 hours for the journey. Take a look at the timings from the KSRTC booking page:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220125_09h39_44.png

Even with a private car (faster overtakes, better maneuverability), and non-stop drive, it easily takes around 2 hours during daytime traffic.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220125_09h42_46.jpg

The only way these buses are going to make this time, that too with stops every couple of kms, is to drive the way they do. To hell with everyone else on the road. And what if they leave a pile of bodies in their wake, they are above the law anyways

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 25th January 2022 at 09:50.
GeneralJazz is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks