Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 16:40   #34576
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
He is an awesome stupid. How did he not observe the fast approaching train?
Must be suffering from "Bigger Vehicles have Breaks" syndrome, which is rampant among two wheelers across the country
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:24   #34577
BHPian

Hi all,

WARNING: DETAILS IN THIS POST MAYBE TOO HARD TO TAKE OR/AND DIGEST.
Mods: Please delete the post if not appropriate. Sharing here to know more details & urging everyone to wear helmet while riding a bike.

I witnessed the aftermath of an accident today at 9:00 am. I had the opportunity to take a picture or a video, but decided not to do it. Partly because I was shaking to my bones & partly because I felt it may be disrespectful.

This accident took place right after crossing 500m from Dilsukhnagar Metro Station in Hyderabad, when moving towards Malakpet.
I could see a brand-new scooter (like activa), with a yellow temporary registration sticker in the middle of the road which had fallen down. Next to it was the person who was riding it. Lying dead, with a severe head injury. (May his soul rest in peace) The rider was obviously not wearing a helmet.

The incident was so horrifying that I was shaking for a good one-hour post seeing this incident.
I do not know how the accident took place or if there was any other vehicle involved, as apart from that scooter, the rest of the traffic was moving at a very slow pace, with a traffic cop guiding the vehicles. And there was no other vehicle which was stationary.

I feel really bad for his family & dependents. This could all have been avoided by simply wearing a helmet.

If anyone knows more about this incident, please shed some light on it.

Thanks,
Neo

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th February 2022 at 13:56. Reason: Minor edits.
neo_narender is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 23:17   #34578
BHPian

Did someone see the accident in which a trailer crushed a stationary XUV 500? I saw the video but don’t know if people survived. I hope they have survived.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 00:00   #34579
Distinguished - BHPian

The scross apparently honked at his lady....

No, just two bulls who had a streetfight. One ran off, the other purviews his kingdom.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20220215_190129139_copy_1317x2928.jpg  

mayankk is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:06   #34580
BHPian

Feeling sorry for the owner, hopefully the car has comprehensive insurance to cover the damage.

Also since the damage is caused by stray animal/s, the owner can take Municipal Corporation to court for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The scross apparently honked at his lady....

No, just two bulls who had a streetfight. One ran off, the other purviews his kingdom.
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:41   #34581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Feeling sorry for the owner, hopefully the car has comprehensive insurance to cover the damage.

Also since the damage is caused by stray animal/s, the owner can take Municipal Corporation to court for this.
This is Sparta!
No, actually, it's Noida, Uttar Pradesh. You may want to revisit your suggestion about bovines......
mayankk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 19:47   #34582
Senior - BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...t-1082358.html

Couldn't make out which car this is.
Attached Images

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 20:35   #34583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...t-1082358.html

Couldn't make out which car this is.
The article mentions this being a Swift.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:27   #34584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Motorbike vs Rajdhani Express. From Kota, Rajasthan.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/rajtoday/status/...-4Hh5m9BZWP2AA
The second video in the link has been around for quiet a while.. The first one, I just am at loss of words. Is the biker so dumb to not check for oncoming trains. Trains in India as a matter of rule honk like crazy when they approach level-crossings. He is so lucky that he did not get run over by the train and there was no oncoming train on the other track. To walk away from an incident like that, he really needs to be thankful and grow some gray matter...
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 11:58   #34585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Like everyone else, I never wanted to be a part of this thread personally!

But, as fate would have it, I have an entry.

TL;DR: Hit a cow. No injuries/ fatalities
So, I managed to extract footage from the dash cam

Link here:

On review, I do not really see how I could have avoided the cow, under normal driving assumptions. (I did have about 2.5 seconds gap with the XUV.)

The only clue is the Dezire in the left lane hitting the brakes.
sridhu is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 12:31   #34586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On review, I do not really see how I could have avoided the cow, under normal driving assumptions.
Looks like the best thing would be to approach overtaking on divided carriageways also like overtaking on undivided roads - only after a clear view of the road ahead is available.

Even then, if an animal suddenly wanders into our path from the median it will be very difficult.
adisan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:07   #34587
BHPian

Quote:
On review, I do not really see how I could have avoided the cow, under normal driving assumptions. (I did have about 2.5 seconds gap with the XUV.)
You couldn't have. At least according to me. Even while anticipating that a cow should appear on your video it's too fast to respond to it.

I recall a very good advice given to me by my old flatmate from Pune, Mr. Arun Dev, we used to call him IP (Intelligent Person). We were out on a bike ride and an old man was crossing the road slowly. I saw the man crossing in advance, slowed down a bit and just dodged the person. IP told me to never do that again and I wasn't really sure why! As a 23 year old, I did the best I could to avoid hitting a jaywalker right? Thankfully IP was much older than me and therefore wiser. He told me that by dodging I haven't saved the old man but just saved myself. At the moment he was at a much higher risk of getting hit by a vehicle that could've been following me. Luckily that day, no such vehicle was there and the old man crossed the road without getting hurt. I asked him, "well what to do then?". He said, slow down and stop in front of him if necessary. This was in the city so it made sense, but I understood the underlying logic.

I don't know why, but that lesson just got stuck to my head. It has been 7-8 years now since then and I still remember his words whenever I see such an obstacle (animal, biker, jaywalker or any random object) coming across on the road. If possible, I try to slow down (safely) to the point that it's obvious for the vehicle behind me to think there is an obstacle in front of me. In case of city roads, I try to just stop instead of dodging or make it slow enough and position my vehicle so that I make the road around me safer. In highways, I slow down and turn the hazards on avoiding dodging movements.

I'd say the reason you hit the cow is because the XUV500 just saved themselves and dodged the cow. They didn't think of the road as a shared space, but just their own. I believe the XUV had a clear view of the cow because it doesn't seemed to have jumped on the road suddenly, instead was just walking slowly into the road. The priority for the XUV was to overtake that Swift and you can see how they went to almost the shoulder while dodging the cow.

Thanks for sharing this video. In your post, at least as I recall it, I don't think the XUV dodging the cow was in picture. I wouldn't say it's the XUV's fault per se. No one is taught defensive driving techniques in India, so who really is to be blamed? We have to use common sense and logic to learn it ourselves. Let's be the better drivers out there.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 19th February 2022 at 17:18.
krishnakumar is offline   (133) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:20   #34588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post

I witnessed the aftermath of an accident today at 9:00 am. I had the opportunity to take a picture or a video, but decided not to do it. Partly because I was shaking to my bones & partly because I felt it may be disrespectful.

That's without doubt the right thing to do. I've done the same in the past. I got down from the car to check what had happened but I was shocked when I saw the deceased victim. In hindsight I shouldn't have even stopped there since the cops were already there.

I don't know how people have the conscience to grab their phone and take a picture. Photographing deceased or injured road crash victims should be made an offense.

Last edited by kiku007 : 19th February 2022 at 17:24.
kiku007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:45   #34589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

I'd say the reason you hit the cow is because the XUV500 just saved themselves and dodged the cow. They didn't think of the road as a shared space, but just their own. I believe the XUV had a clear view of the cow because it doesn't seemed to have jumped on the road suddenly, instead was just walking slowly into the road.
I beg to differ. I think the cow suddenly came on the road from the median. You can see the road ahead before the XUV came onto the right lane. There is no cow there.
shifu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 18:27   #34590
BHPian

Quote:
So, I managed to extract footage from the dash cam

Link here:

https://Youtu.be/uxXzGGOGxA8

The only clue is the Dezire in the left lane hitting the brakes.
The vehicle infront of you created a blind spot and you were never expecting such a surprise.
I too have been involved in such a situation.

The best way to avoid such situations is too keep a more than safe distance from the vehicle running ahead. In the video, with respect to the speed the vehicles were moving at, the distance maintained between your vehicle and vehicle in front was not sufficient to brake-hard and avoid hitting the cow or swerve like the XUV to avoid the cow.

The moment the XUV swerved out to avoid the cow and the time taken after this to hit the cow is just over 1 second AND that is way too less time to react.

Maintain More than Safe Distance is my Mantra.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 19th February 2022 at 18:33. Reason: Para in Italics added
Sushil Pingua is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks