Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 21:31   #37426

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

https://twitter.com/sunnewstamil/sta...61969548083200

Another overtaking from the left gone wrong. The news states that one govt engineering college student died.

While this happened when bike is overtaking from left, same could've happened when the bus overtakes the bike.

Not that it's related but the lane markings (solid white line in the edge) is also not there after few seconds in the video.
clickdilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:47   #37427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickdilip View Post

Another overtaking from the left gone wrong. The news states that one govt engineering college student died.

While this happened when bike is overtaking from left, same could've happened when the bus overtakes the bike.
RIP.

If there is no minimum 6 feet lateral distance buffer to overtake a vehicle, especially a heavy vehicle, don't overtake. This way, even if there is an accidental fall, the motorcyclist doesn't end up under the wheels of the heavy vehicle.
Arwin07 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:19   #37428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickdilip View Post
https://twitter.com/sunnewstamil/sta...61969548083200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
RIP.

If there is no minimum 6 feet lateral distance buffer to overtake a vehicle, especially a heavy vehicle, don't overtake. This way, even if there is an accidental fall, the motorcyclist doesn't end up under the wheels of the heavy vehicle.
On seeing the video, apart from the obvious shock, the only other thing that came to mind was "Thank God, the bus had this camera installed, else the driver would be blamed/ arrested for no fault on his part."
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:37   #37429
BHPian

In an attempt to save a Jay pedestrian, the car hit a parked truck on the side.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/98195122.cms
chaitanyakrish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:46   #37430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
In an attempt to save a Jay pedestrian, the car hit a parked truck on the side.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/98195122.cms
What? 8 people in a Punto? I wonder how they fit in and with such an overload wonder what speeds the car was driven in. Can safely assume most wouldn't have been wearing seat belts. I mean if they had even an iota of safety consideration, they wouldn't overload so badly. Also, the overload means greater momentum leading to this fatal outcome.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 18:54   #37431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
There is a reason these events are called "accidents" - we mustn't forget that.
The reason is to avoid responsibility: it was simply an accident.

No. An "accident" is the result of person or people getting something wrong. Always.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 12:29   #37432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
What? 8 people in a Punto? I wonder how they fit in and with such an overload wonder what speeds the car was driven in. Can safely assume most wouldn't have been wearing seat belts. I mean if they had even an iota of safety consideration, they wouldn't overload so badly. Also, the overload means greater momentum leading to this fatal outcome.
No. Nothing to do with high speeds or seatbelts. A rear underride with an Indian truck is fatal even at 40 kph. The underride bar even if it exists just falls off.
First impact of the truck’s load body is straight on driver’s head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
In an attempt to save a Jay pedestrian, the car hit a parked truck on
Quite unfortunate. Looks like one needs to train oneself to brake in a straight line and hit jaywalkers instead of swerving and putting innocent passengers in danger

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 25th February 2023 at 12:32.
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 13:21   #37433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The reason is to avoid responsibility: it was simply an accident.

No. An "accident" is the result of person or people getting something wrong. Always.
No doubt .

That is exactly why we are even bothering to discuss so that such avoidable accidents can be avoided as much as possible.
A lightning strike or something like is not an accident. It is an incident.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 11:56   #37434
Senior - BHPian

With inauguration round the corner, this beautiful Bangalore - Mysore Expressway has already seen close to 100 accidents with almost same number of fatalities.

Another fatal one last evening and another case of jumping over the median. Probably wearing set belt would have saved the life.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-news31mysurubengaluruexpresswayaccident.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-news327.jpg

News courtesy: https://starofmysore.com/woman-kille...ru-expressway/
Quote:
Woman Killed, Four Injured As Cars Collide On Mysuru-Bengaluru Expressway.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 12:34   #37435
Senior - BHPian

Just got this demo video in my Instagram feed. Shows the impact of a car against a stationary pole at various speeds. Quite scary.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:02   #37436
BHPian

Not an accident but worth seeing.

ramki.grandhi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 22:05   #37437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Not an accident but worth seeing.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=TuJnSdHRpqs
Welcome to namma bengaluru.
Guess, this is the e-city flyover, which passes right infront of my apartment. I see this, I see pileups resulting from multiple accidents every month. I've seen people drive full speed in opposite lane of NICE Road. Whatever stupidity that can be attempted on roads has been done. No traffic violations surprise me in blr anymore. When it comes to 2-wheelers on road, I'm prepared for the worst when I drive.

On a lighter note, I think he forgot to swipe out post his shift getting over (& might be denied his salary. hence rushing back to office)
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 23:36   #37438
Distinguished - BHPian

One lane from disaster.

On ECR, had seen one biker zigzagging past, and was very ready to have to hit the brakes, when another came from the left. This is mangled memory of something that happened and was in our line of sight only for a fraction of a second: This guy seemed to be side-on to the traffic behind him and to my left at the moment that he lost his grip and fell, falling towards the traffic behind him. I think there were a number of bikers, which might at least have helped him not being immediately run over by anything heavier. I hope so, but when guys drive like that, I'm afraid sympathy is hard to find.

Just... if I had a deity, I'd be really, really thanking them that I was in the right hand lane, and that this idiot suicide (I hope not) stunt did not happen in front of me.

This was no accident: it was the complete inability of an idiot to handle his vehicle in simple and straightforward traffic.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 09:20   #37439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Just got this demo video in my Instagram feed. Shows the impact of a car against a stationary pole at various speeds. Quite scary.
Though this video is quite an eye opener, I think this is from crash simulator, not real tests. Look at the debris flying around post crash.
Old 27th February 2023, 10:43   #37440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One lane from disaster.

On ECR, had seen one biker zigzagging past, and was very ready to have to hit the brakes, when another came from the left.

Unfortunately for me, I was at the receiving end by one of many self proclaimed street racers yesterday at New Avadi Road.

I was trying to cross the road into a petrol pump on my 2 wheeler while waiting after a cut in the median in a one way road. I did that only because of the lack of traffic on the road. I stopped the scooter right there because I heard a bike screaming towards towards me although there was no vehicle when I planned to cross. I expected the guy who's in a hurry to go post me because there's plenty of space in front. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate that this person was riding on the absolute limits of his tyres and couldn't even steer and came right at me. He expected me to go away but my intuition forced me to stay put because I don't know which direction he'll take. Once the dude realised that I'm not moving he locked his brakes and crashed into me. In short, both of us were on the floor because I was on his 'racing line'. My ankle was severely swollen but the other scratches were all minor. A few people gathered around us and helped us up. My brother was also on the same route coming behind and helped me get to the hospital.

Although the initial trauma was bad, the X rays proved that the ankle wasn't fractured and by yesterday evening the swelling went down. Turns out it was just swollen after the impact. But the scooter took a lot of impact - the floor board and the side scaffolding broke real bad and the brake levers were damaged due to the subsequent fall.

The other biker got away on seeing my brother.

Overall, learnt a few things the hard way:
1) Never underestimate young people driving like maniacs - they mostly wouldn't know the limits of their machine
2) It pays to take the long cut. Despite being a day with hardly any vehicles on the road, a slightly risky crossing/ maneuver ended up very badly.
3) Just because someone isn't bloody doesn't mean he's ok - there still can be serious internal injuries. It's good to arrange transport to the hospital.
4) Hospitals will not treat road accident victims without filling a report with the cops.

Looking back, I can thank God because any small changes in the angle of impact would have resulted in my end.

Last edited by Turbohead : 27th February 2023 at 10:44.
Turbohead is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed