Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 10:56   #37441
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted an accident on Bengaluru Mysuru expressway yesterday while coming back from Mysuru, near Ramanagara. Apparently Ford Ikon had sideswiped Maruti Ciaz.
People were dangerously standing, parking right on the lanes without realizing it was on a curved road.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 13:03   #37442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Spotted an accident on Bengaluru Mysuru expressway yesterday while coming back from Mysuru, near Ramanagara.
It is yet to start collecting toll, and already seen 100+ accidents till now. There's no sudden lane closure, no surprise intersections, last time I drove, I didn't see cows also. And it is mostly a straight stretch.

This talks so much about our driving skills.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:03   #37443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Those tree-trunk A-Pillars of the EcoSport are surely a contributor too. They are way too thick & create dangerous blind spots. That & the tall stance of crossovers can reduce road-level visibility. If the driver was short, it only worsens things further.

I cannot see 70% of the parked Accent in this image. Kids on the ground are impossible.

Attachment 2421210
I totally agree to this. I am pretty much moving my head from left to right to see those blind spots whenever I am in narrow turnings and other situations. Sometimes even 2 wheelers turning onto the main road become invisible if their speed matches my view behind the A pillar. It is a nuisance and Ecosport drivers really DO need to be careful.
Old 27th February 2023, 14:36   #37444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
It is yet to start collecting toll, and already seen 100+ accidents till now. There's no sudden lane closure, no surprise intersections, last time I drove, I didn't see cows also. And it is mostly a straight stretch.

This talks so much about our driving skills.
I had driven on the new highway late last month. The main issue I found was lane discipline by many drivers. Unlike Mumbai Pune express highway, and the Yamuna Expressway, I noticed that many people were changing lanes often, without any indicators or checking mirrors.
Might be a reason for the side swipe here.
After a close call with a Tata ACE, who changed lanes without any indication and caused me to brake suddenly, I was extra careful and honking before overtaking.
the.dogfather is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 16:07   #37445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One lane from disaster. ... This was no accident: it was the complete inability of an idiot to handle his vehicle in simple and straightforward traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
1) Never underestimate young people driving like maniacs - they mostly wouldn't know the limits of their machine
I'm sorry for your injury, but glad it was not serious. Still, you have the hassle and expense of repairing your two-wheeler, while the other guy rides away.

I actually suspect that the guy in my incident had very little riding experience, It is hard for me to tell because I have none. But it reeked of someone thinking they can do stuff just because and never considering that they actually have to learn the skill.

And hey, this on a busy main road.

I suspect the two may have been connected, but rider 1 didn't seem to be coming back to see if driver 2 was dead or alive.

There was a bus behind me. He should be thanking his gods that it wasn't behind him. Well, today, I hope is alive to thank anything. Also hope he learned something, but am not optimistic.

Best wishes to you, your ankle, and your scooter repair bill.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 16:27   #37446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
This happened in Hyderabad few days ago and I think the driver was distracted.

https://twitter.com/ParasaRajeswari/...67857600188416
I can see a lot of biased responses against the parents and few against the driver. I'm neither a parent so far, nor an avid driver (I'm a biker) so I hope to be unbiased.

Nobody wanted this incident to happen, neither the car driver, nor the parents or kids, so let's be sensitive and just avoid victimising people who're already suffering, either legally, financially, physically or emotionally.
Tomorrow you could be standing in their places and unknown people will become your armchair judges without giving you a hearing.

What we should do is, work on ideas which ensure this will not repeat again.
1. Have red painted zones as driveways, so they're kids and illiterate friendly. No person walks on them. Crossings can be allowed.
2. Have gardens and playing grounds for kids & people, but which are far/separate from driving areas.
3. CCTV's should be monitored in free time by colony guards and staff for any disruption.
4. It should be made a civil movement that's spread across socities.
5. Pet owners should be specially consulted to make them aware of the changes.

I know the colony staff doesn't have much authority of this kind, but if they gain people support, let me tell you, its not tough at all.

May the kid recover quickly, the driver also resumes with his life, and seriously, I'm not least interested whose mistake it was. Let's talk ideas, not people and events.
Samarth 619 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 22:17   #37447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
2. Despicable road manners
This is big problem with todays riders, let it be on the highway or the city.

A lot of Bikers/Scooter riders think that they can just squeeze right through even if there is a vehicle approaching them from behind. I have had multiple situations especially in the city where the two wheelers dont even bother seeing the road before joining them!

They believe the onus is on us to ignore or avoid them. In most cases it could have happened in the riders favour but unfortunately not this day! How sad to have been in that situation for the rider and the family.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2023 at 09:21. Reason: Minor typo
ramgkulkarni is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 01:01   #37448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.dogfather View Post
I had driven on the new highway late last month. The main issue I found was lane discipline by many drivers. Unlike Mumbai Pune express highway, and the Yamuna Expressway, I noticed that many people were changing lanes often, without any indicators or checking mirrors.
Might be a reason for the side swipe here.
After a close call with a Tata ACE, who changed lanes without any indication and caused me to brake suddenly, I was extra careful and honking before overtaking.
I couldn't stop myself from adding to this.

One big reason for the chaos or lack of lane discipline is that everyone thinks they have the right of way. The bigger the vehicle, more the sense of entitlement. The sheer number of buyers even within this forum who brag about the "respect" Their BIG car commands, is a testimony.

And yeah, all the zig-zagging is associated with "expert" Or "enthusiastic" Driving.

It's a cultural issue. Most of us were fed with the above two "principles". And we can't seem to outgrow it. Everyone expects the other driver to maintain discipline.

We need to learn from the ants. Not sheep.
theabstractmind is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 08:50   #37449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
The sheer number of buyers even within this forum who brag about the "respect" Their BIG car commands, is a testimony.
The euphemism they use is "road presence", which sort of implies lesser mortals should immediately give way upon seeing them in the RVM!
Gansan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:37   #37450
BHPian

Got this on Twitter. The Creta pressed accelerator instead of brake and already doing a close tailgating of Polo.

https://twitter.com/dhans4all/status...25407681093632

I was Wondering, could it have been avoided?
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:51   #37451
BHPian

Perfect definition of an accident. Less than 3 seconds, the accident is done. No one is responsible except the Creta Driver.

Could've corrected at least after the Auto hit. The second hit could've been easily avoided. Maybe a novice driver got nervous.
jaaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:53   #37452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got this on Twitter. The Creta pressed accelerator instead of brake and already doing a close tailgating of Polo.

The whole accident was 100% avoidable. Creta driver was driving very badly.

Any idea what happened to the occupants of the autorikshaw the Creta hit just before the head on collision with the car?

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 28th February 2023 at 11:55. Reason: clarity
KiloAlpha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 13:11   #37453
BHPian

This happened a couple of days ago in Wynad.

Quote:
A KSRTC bus, an auto rickshaw, a car and a scooter met with the accident. The auto hit the car that was entering the main road. The displaced auto was rammed by a KSRTC bus. The bus then collided with the scooter. Sreejith, who was on the scooter, sustained minor injuries.

The deceased have been identifed as auto rickshaw driver VV Shareef (50) and passenger Ammini.Wayanad: Two people died and one person was seriously injured in a multi-vehicle road accident in Muttil here on Saturday. A KSRTC bus, an auto ric...

Read more at: https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...anad-1.8341756
Wayanad: Two people died and one person was seriously injured in a multi-vehicle road accident in Muttil here on Saturday. A KSRTC bus, an auto ric...

Read more at: https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...anad-1.8341756
Link

The Creta enters the road carelessly, causing an Auto to hit it and veer off into the path of a KSRTC bus. 2 people have died and 2 more are critically injured.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 13:38   #37454
BHPian

Quote:

The way that auto just got flicked off the road! I've seen way too many autos rolling over and flying away, I always advise my family to avoid travelling in them.

As for how to avoid it - use the brake instead of the accelerator, lol. I don't think there is anything any of the other drivers could have done - just sheer bad luck for them. The Creta just comes in flying in a matter of seconds.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 13:48   #37455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
The Creta enters the road carelessly, causing an Auto to hit it and veer off into the path of a KSRTC bus. 2 people have died and 2 more are critically injured.
Even I would say the fault lies majorly on the Creta who decided to just enter the road carelessly and it appears as though he is intending to drive on the wrong side. The way he joins the main road is wrong.
Curve and high speed could mean that the bus would have been partly in the opposite and the auto was probably more focused on the oncoming bus and in the process most likely missed the Creta.

Most Viewed