Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 09:24   #37516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
For example, in this above case, the white car was too slow for a highway. It may or may not be using indicators. Because of this car, the bus had to move towards the median. Should we blame this car for the accident? No, as this is expected on a highway.
Actually - and I was myself surprised by this - the US has road safety rules which mandate uniform speeds for all vehicles on the road. They allow a +/- 5mph speed band within which all vehicles must proceed.

Vehicles which go too fast get ticketed by roving cop patrol cars - no surprise.

Vehicles which go too slow also get ticketed by the cops - surprise, surprise!

And surprised though I was by this rule of theirs back then, I totally get why they have the rule. You can't be holding up traffic by unilaterally deciding that you want to drive at 'X' kmph while everyone around you normally drives at 'X+30' kmph; you're simply holding up everyone behind you and you're going to induce risk taking behavior in drivers (sudden speeding, swerving etc.) and cause a crash or two.

And this white car's role in causing the accident here is a case in point. If it had been driven at a speed that was in sync with the traffic's speed around it, the bus wouldn't have had to swerve outside of the double yellow line. It's simple.

15 - 20% of the responsibility for causing the accident lies with the white car's driver in my opinion.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 09:47   #37517
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone found a way to blame the church wall for the accident, yet?
binand is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:10   #37518
BHPian

It is not the first time that a KSRTC bus had crossed the "Laxman Rekha" double solid lines.
They do that every day and they would be doing that even as I type here.
We have to prepare for risks based on the terrain. Kerala with its undivided roads and with KSRTC and private buses literally flying in air, the drivers must be prepared to expect a bus on the other side of the curve.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:13   #37519
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
It's an approx calculation. Actual number may be 40-45 I think,looking at it again.
White i10 is parked at the far end of the shops building. It is 3.8 m in length. There is about 4 cars length space behind it till end of the building. That is about 20meters length. This building ends opposite to the Church Arch. The camera angle cuts of portion of the space adjacent to the building but looking at the remaining portion of the church wall til where the frame ends it is atleast another 25meters to the point where XYLO enters the frame skidding the brakes. Hence the figure of 45 meters.
Ah... so the number drops. It's 45m now, from 55-60m. That means a reduction of ~20% from your speed estimate of 100kph, which is 80kph. You have to get more inventive, to justify the KeSRTC driver.
venkyhere is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:52   #37520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Given that your remark seems directed at me, may I remind you that simple problems ("2+2=4") are reserved only for school kids, within the confines of classrooms. Meanwhile, the real world has to face complex problems (causes known, solutions unknown), unstructured problems (causes unknown, solutions known) and wicked problems (both causes & solutions unknown).

If it bothers you that some of us are dissecting the accident and are unearthing root causes that seem far fetched - this is exactly how percentages of responsibilities (and liabilities) are assigned in the aftermath of a crash by police, insurers and courts elsewhere in the world.

In India - not so much. The bigger or faster vehicle is always at fault. It's that simple.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:21   #37521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
this is exactly how percentages of responsibilities (and liabilities) are assigned in the aftermath of a crash by police, insurers and courts elsewhere in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
And this white car's role in causing the accident here is a case in point.
As someone who has routinely found himself in the position of the white car here - what will be a non-irresponsible, non-liable way of turning off the main road into a side road like it is doing here?
binand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 12:15   #37522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Epic!

It is crisp and clear that the KSRTC is at fault. But still people want to find some other reasons just for the sake of it. Sitting on an armchair, it is easy to speculate and come up with theories and various hypothesis, but the ground reality is different.

Just wanted to say this again which I have said earlier too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Very soon KSRTC will run short of buses as you see them getting involved in an accident every other day. They seem to be on receiving end for a quite a lot incidents in the recent past. Most of the Scania buses are in garage. Half of the SWIFT series have met with accidents by now. The remaining of the ordinary ones either go off the road or something comes and hits them.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 13th March 2023 at 12:19.
balenoed_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 12:58   #37523
BHPian

Wow, have heard about KSRTC bus rash driving, but this is beyond belief. Accidents happen, but this is due to sheer negligence and no regard for fellow riders by KSRTC bus here. Have taken three snaps

Here the Xylo driver sees he is driving into a wedge between an oncoming bus and stopped cars. Starts to brake - puff of smoke on rear wheel.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xylo1.jpg

Xylo goes straight as expected in non-abs vehicle, starts swerving. See front wheel turning.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xylo2.jpg

Car still slides and collides with Bus.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xylo3.jpg

The white car is going slow and turning, but the bus has ample space to keep moving in his lane.
All of this could be averted if the bus has followed his lane.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th March 2023 at 04:43. Reason: Corrected typo -> Turning
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:53   #37524
BHPian

This accident happened close to my home in Kerala. The exact spot (Elakolloor Pallippadi, Kizhavalloor) is marked on the attached map and the red circle is where the bus ended up.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230313-152646.png
The bus was coming from the left and Xylo, from the right. There is a specific reason why this stretch is marked with double solid yellow lines. It was and still is considered an accident prone area, even after the road has been reworked recently. There are curves on both the ends and there is a bus stop also. Earlier, the gradient was higher and the road was narrower. The bus started going over the solid yellow lines just after exiting the curve on the left side and continued till it hit the Xylo. Xylo was approaching from the right, negotiation a left hand turn and slight downward gradient. As pointed out by SuperGirl_Dad and others, the Xylo locked up on braking and continued its tangential path, out of the curve towards the bus.
After the accident, Konni enforcement RTO had come to inspect the vehicles and people questioned him, showing the CCTV footage and he was reluctant to admit the KSRTC driver's mistake initially. He was sort of forced to admit it, after it was evident in the CCTV footage.

NB: There is a reason why people were furious at the RTO. Hundreds of private vehicles are fined on the MC road for driving across or even touching the solid white lines and these rules seem to be not applicable for KSRTC. No fines, no study classes, no nothing.

(In Malayalam)

Quote:

Last edited by A350XWB : 13th March 2023 at 16:14.
A350XWB is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 16:33   #37525
BHPian

More details - the bus did not have GPS and speed governor was cut out. KSRTC to investigate and submit a report.

A350XWB is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 17:04   #37526
BHPian

Quote:
The construction of church wall is very unscientific. Given the road structure and associated risk, the wall should have been padded so that it can cushion the impact of any vehicle smashing into it
Everlearner is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 17:18   #37527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
This accident happened close to my home in Kerala.
How is the condition of occupants of Xylo and the bus ? I hope no fatalities and injured are recovering.

Quote:
After the accident, Konni enforcement RTO had come to inspect the vehicles and people questioned him, showing the CCTV footage and he was reluctant to admit the KSRTC driver's mistake initially. He was sort of forced to admit it, after it was evident in the CCTV footage.

NB: There is a reason why people were furious at the RTO. Hundreds of private vehicles are fined on the MC road for driving across or even touching the solid white lines and these rules seem to be not applicable for KSRTC. No fines, no study classes, no nothing.
This situation is true in almost all regions. Be it buses, Corporation Garbage collection vehicles, Govt water tankers etc. they all drive as if no one else is present on the road. They get courage for this audacity due to inaction of the authorities. Private car/ bike users are easiest targets for enforcement (and quick income ??).

Last edited by AutoNoob : 13th March 2023 at 17:23.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 17:37   #37528
BHPian

With regard to the KSRTC-Xylo accident, does anyone know if the Xylo had any casualties? or the seriousness of the injuries. My heart goes out to the injured & their families. A perfectly avoidable accident if the KSRTC bus had just patiently waited for the right time for the overtaking maneuver.

One BHPian has mentioned that the white car should be held partly responsible. I think that car was slowing down to take a left turn in a perfectly acceptable speed and lane. I wonder what more could he/she have done. Look at the large gap between the overtaking bus and the white car. That is way too high.
Old 13th March 2023, 17:49   #37529
BHPian

Hope none missed out those 2 cars on the LHS parked. Due to this Xylo had to hard brake instead of swerving strongly to left. To avoid hitting the cars, he chose to brake hard, expecting the bus to pass through or at max side swipe the bus.

Slow car on opposite side or parked cars in the same direction or speed of Xylo doesnt make a case here. KeSRTC driver solely should take the for grabbing a huge real estate on a S Curve.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 18:20   #37530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
How is the condition of occupants of Xylo and the bus ? I hope no fatalities and injured are recovering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
With regard to the KSRTC-Xylo accident, does anyone know if the Xylo had any casualties? or the seriousness of the injuries.
According to reports, the drivers of both vehicles and a woman passenger in the bus received serious injuries and were admitted to Kottayam medical college. Last I heard was that they are responding to medication and on the way to recovery.
A350XWB is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks