Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 20:04   #37591
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Don't know what was the rider thinking.
Most likely nothing!

Rare case where the written off the face of earth walks again.
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 20:55   #37592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5 near misses = 1 accident!
Nothing will happen. Until it does.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 22:23   #37593
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened last week near Baiyappanahalli Metro. The rider and pillion just drifted towards the pavement and crashed into it without the involvement of any other vehicle. Not sure what happened there for such a loss of control and nasty fall. I noticed it only after I heard a loud crash and was already a good distance away. So not sure what happened afterwards. Hope they are fine.

audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 22:50   #37594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Happened last week near Baiyappanahalli Metro. The rider and pillion just drifted towards the pavement and crashed into it without the involvement of any other vehicle. Not sure what happened there for such a loss of control and nasty fall.
I was looking for load and I found it.

This appears to be a classic case of unexpected countersteering due to a loaded two wheeler.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:54   #37595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Happened last week near Baiyappanahalli Metro. The rider and pillion just drifted towards the pavement and crashed into it without the involvement of any other vehicle.
Check this out. Happened in Tirupati, right in front of my car!

FORTified is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:01   #37596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
It is the lack of traffic education and civic sense which leads people to block roads, protest, and cause inconvenience to fellow road users.
In most cases, it is not even the lack of education / civic sense that is the root of the problem.
There is in general-
  1. Lack of patience
  2. Lack of empathy to fellow motorists/pedestrians
  3. Confidence that we will not be penalized for jumping/cuttlng lanes
  4. A feeling of justification that jumping lanes is a necessary skill rather than a crime
  5. That we can always blame the design of the roads/underpasses/junctions and/or the traffic that is "forcing" us to cut lanes

The list goes on. As long as people don't feel the "guilt" of violating traffic rules, introspect and take corrective actions, no amount of education can help.

Last edited by Car-go-man : 17th March 2023 at 10:02.
Car-go-man is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:20   #37597
BHPian

Gore warning: Open the link at your own risk

https://www.punekarnews.in/fatal-acc...es-three-dead/

TLDR version:

Accident on MPEWay. Under-run protection bar missing from the truck. Car (seems to be a Tiago) crashed into it and went under till beyond the B-Pillar. All 3 car passengers are dead.

Not mentioned in the article:
From the picture I can gather that the truck seems to be parked in the breakdown lane and the Tiago was probably overtaking from the left. The driver of the Tiago took the wrong decision and had to pay with his life and that of his passengers. BUT the Truck missing an under-run bar should be made a criminal offence and the truck owner should also be held responsible for the loss of these lives.

This is precisely my worst nightmare come true. Anybody can make a judgement error or mistake but the punishment should not be death. Under-run protection bars need to be made mandatory for all heavy vehicles and non compliance has to be severely penalized. What good is a 4-star safety rated car if another product from the same company leaves it as good as a zero.
antz.bin is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:22   #37598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

https://Youtu.be/Y273QPm-_Do
Look at how he accelerates towards the truck at an angle. Fallen asleep at the handles?

The guy is very lucky that he didn't end up under the wheels. He literally clung on to the truck for his life.
asmr is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:27   #37599

Overtaking on the straight stretch of an 'S' curve is stupidity. As I have pointed out in this thread and forum most Indian licensed drivers including myself would probably fail any stringent driving licensing requirements! In fact in the video you can see that most of the bus was on the wrong side of the road at the moment of impact. The Xylo driver would've only had time to reflexively hit his brakes since he would've become aware of the two cars parked to his left just as he was entering the curve. Another rule Indian drivers flout with no awareness and impunity is parking vehicles on the blind side of curves. This 'accident' (negligence is what I term it) happened because the bus driver flouted the basic rule of not overtaking at curves period The Xylo driver had nowhere to go but into the bus! The bus driver was speeding where he shouldn't have been.
old_cayuse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:47   #37600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
In most cases, it is not even the lack of education / civic sense that is the root of the problem...

As long as people don't feel the "guilt" of violating traffic rules, introspect and take corrective actions, no amount of education can help.
Agreed on all points! We need to have a nation wide safe driving awareness program for 20 years at least so that the current and next generation are constantly conditioned on what safe driving practices are, along with a strict monitoring and enforcement routine from the Traffic police. I think we are very far away from becoming a "considerate" society, so the "guilt" will not come unless there is a threat of punitive action for rule breaking.

In parallel, the flaws like metal barriers & crossings on highways, chaotic intersections or mergers, horribly executed patchwork repairs, low quality construction driven by corruption do need to be rectified. It is a problem but with common sense, much of it can be worked around.
asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 11:11   #37601
BHPian

3 people died in yet another accident in in notorius Vattapara turn . The lorry was carrying onions from Calicut to Kochi

Manorama news clip

A cctv clip of an old accident for a better understanding of this turn.

Last edited by SDP : 17th March 2023 at 14:58. Reason: Minor typo
greyhound82 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 13:18   #37602
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know what was the rider thinking.
Muscle, muscle, muscle, more muscle!
Old 17th March 2023, 13:33   #37603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Gore warning: Open the link at your own risk

https://www.punekarnews.in/fatal-acc...es-three-dead/

TLDR version:

Accident on MPEWay. Under-run protection bar missing from the truck..
have seen a image from another angle, looks like the underrun device was pretty much there.

But if the Tiago was at high speeds the underrun wouldn't help much.

edit : adding the image found online
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mpew.jpg  

Last edited by Gaur : 17th March 2023 at 13:37.
Gaur is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:21   #37604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
This guy is so lucky that body, head and limbs are still attached and working

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cayuse View Post
As I have pointed out in this thread and forum most Indian licensed drivers including myself would probably fail any stringent driving licensing requirements!
My UK driving licence has expired due to my age. In the unlikely event that I ever lived there again, I just hope they wouldn't ask me to take another test.
Frankly, many Brits wouldn't pass, thirty years on. But after nearly twenty years of driving in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Agreed on all points! We need to have a nation wide safe driving awareness program for 20 years at least so that the current and next generation are constantly conditioned on what safe driving practices are...
And many of us have been saying that this should have started yesterday, but there is still no sign of it starting at all.

Propaganda is a demon word, but it can be used positively. There can be advertising campaigns; films can teach people that stunt driving is stupid driving; manufacturers can be restricted from selling vehicles like they are made for it.

Just like heroes (at least in the west) don't smoke, all this can be done. But it takes investment, a lot of work, and starts with government will. Restriction of speech and freedom? Sure! Bring it on!

Don't worry. This thread is, sadly, in no danger of any of that happening
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:34   #37605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
In most cases, it is not even the lack of education / civic sense that is the root of the problem.
There is in general-
  1. Lack of patience
  2. Lack of empathy to fellow motorists/pedestrians
  3. Confidence that we will not be penalized for jumping/cuttlng lanes
  4. A feeling of justification that jumping lanes is a necessary skill rather than a crime
  5. That we can always blame the design of the roads/underpasses/junctions and/or the traffic that is "forcing" us to cut lanes

The list goes on. As long as people don't feel the "guilt" of violating traffic rules, introspect and take corrective actions, no amount of education can help.
Other than education, what is the solution to the issues you have listed? How to solve those?

Most Viewed