Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 18:06   #37621
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Cyberabad Police asking 'Who is at fault?'
Thar committed multiple faults.

Firstly, there was a continuous line after the divider, U turn is prohibited in this case. Being in India, I am not sure if I would have not taken this U turn just because of this continuous line, but legally, he can be challenged and his theory of indication before the turn will go down the drain.

Secondly, it had to ensure that it is safe to take a turn before taking a turn, which he didn't.

Thirdly, he was driving on loose soil, which is known to generate dust cloud which blocks any indication, especially during the peak daytime hours, where the indicators are poorly visible anyways. He could have never ensured that the indication is visible to others and also, his view could be blocked due to this dust cloud. It is quite possible that he missed this bike due to the dust cloud.

Thar driver was lucky to have encountered only a small motorcycle. It could have been catastrophic had it been a fast moving heavy vehicle.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 19:27   #37622
BHPian

Quote:
'Who is at fault?'
The way I see it - I also often give the right indicator when starting off the curb. But that is to hint the vehicles coming behind that I am moving to my right to merge into traffic. Definitely not to take a sudden and quick U turn.

So, THAR driver was indeed driving 'irresponsibly' . However that doesn't absolve the bike rider from his share of fault. The bike is overloaded (triple riding) and at the speed he was riding , controlling the overloaded bike becomes very difficult. Driving without helmet is a different violation unrelated to this accident.
That could be the reason why the Police posted the video with an open question.

Last edited by deetee : 18th March 2023 at 19:30.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:02   #37623
BHPian

Quote:
Cyberabad Police posted this video asking 'Who is at fault?
That is not the way to take a U- turn. Need to be completely defensive while cutting across traffic, slowly and steadily. Yet another idiot who thinks that with his indicator on, his responsibility ends. He has the copyright!.

As for the other jokers, what else do you expect from them? Awesome threesome without helmets were going to crash somewhere or the other .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 21:24   #37624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nothing will happen. Until it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
One point I keep thinking about is that people indulge in all these sorts of behaviour primarily to save time - anything between a few seconds to sometimes hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
So true.
Until it actually happens, they either think its their skill that saved them
A very good example to illustrate all these points:

Carrying bike on another bikeName:  Screenshot 20230318 at 9.22.34 PM.png
Views: 875
Size:  249.3 KB
deetee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 10:25   #37625
Senior - BHPian

Lucky guy!
Latheesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:48   #37626
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
He might be lucky but the goods guy is an idiot. Carrying goods which can slip off when braking is illegal and dangerous. He and his owner should be penalized and jailed for that. I agree that the walker should have been careful while crossing but if the goods aren't fastened properly, it would have been a risk to anyone or any vehicle in front of it. Why can't Police fine such wrong doers?
CarNerd is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:50   #37627
BHPian

Quote:
Cyberabad Police posted this video asking 'Who is at fault?'
Clearly the Thar owner is at fault. This behavior is something I've experienced with some auto rickshaw drivers in Kerala. I hope he compensated the bikers for any vehicle damage or injuries.

Since the video was posted by Cyberabad Traffic Police, I hope they took appropriate action. The biker should also be fined for riding without helmet and with 2 pillion riders.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 12:17   #37628

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I agree with this 100%. Literacy in Indian context just means a person knows to read and write. Even highly literate, high IQ folks with upper middle class income don't have an iota of common sense (forget road manners, simple common sense!!) when they sit behind a vehicle. See picture below:
Attachment 2429520

There's a road in which a railway underpass is built such that at any point only one lane of vehicles can pass in each direction. But EVERYDAY you'll see thousands of motorists living in the posh apartments of this area drive such that they block both the lanes causing a grid lock which lasts for hours! You will hear them whining endlessly about lack of planning by BBMP, government and what not (all are valid reasons BTW) but till date I have never seen the crowd realizing their common sense and patiently following lane discipline. This phenomenon repeats itself like a template everyday in every railway crossing in our country! I am surprised our folks haven't figured it out yet!

In many other countries, I have seen even the less educated and less literate folks patiently waiting for their turns without causing artificial grid locks. Most people will wait at red signals and almost everyone obeys lane markings etc. But here we see even bhpians arguing that rules like lane discipline are not practical in India. So there is something fundamentally wrong with our population when it comes to having common sense on the road and I see no hope of fixing it.

It is my continued grouse that at least 80% of traffic jams in our country are caused because of our failure to follow lane discipline.

ME FIRST seems to be the mantra for almost every road user - Motorist or Pedestrian.

We don't care about the other users. And this has nothing to do with education - this is all to do with the attitudes that successive generations have passed down to their offspring. I sometimes feel the civil disobedience movement of the current generation is - I WILL NOT FOLLOW ANY RULES

a) Growth of the middle classes
b) Increase in disposable wealth
c) Easy availability of motor vehicles
d) Inability of the Police / RTA to enforce the law or rules (Social / Political / Religious / Demographic etc etc etc)
e) ZERO training / Education of new motorists.

All the above contribute significantly to the multitude of road accidents - reported and a majority of which remain unreported - throughout the country
AttyBhai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 15:39   #37629
BHPian

This happened last night, near Trichy.

2 women, 1 child, 6 men traveling in a Maruti Omni van. In total 9 people. And 6 died on the spot.

Happened in the wee early hours of the morning, around 3AM. The group was traveling from Edapadi near Salem to Kumbakonam. So they would have started around midnight.

Looks like this crash happened at high speed. The van looks nearly crushed top down. And the lorry seems to suffered significant damage in the front and side.

Last edited by asmr : 19th March 2023 at 15:41. Reason: For completeness
Old 19th March 2023, 16:24   #37630
BHPian

Videos like these should are periodically posted by all media houses.

whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 17:10   #37631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
  1. No barriers
  2. The curve is banked wrong
  3. I'll guess that there are no rumblers before this curve to offset #1 and #2.
While the lorry was definitely too fast for the curve, it's the poor infrastructure that's to the primary cause here - even a Linea will understeer at speeds in this curve

This particular point is an accident hot spot for lorries . There is some technical irregularities in the banking and its usually the big bullet tankers that bite the dust here. The road prior to this curve is a sleep slope and the drivers misjudge the curve degree.

The new NH that is coming up bypass this curve. Work is progressing at a fast pace and it is expected to be completed in 2023 itself.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 17:56   #37632
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Check this out. Happened in Tirupati, right in front of my car!
Either he must have been drunk or he must have had some health-related issue or a seizure. I feel sorry for him and hope he is alright now.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 21:20   #37633
Senior - BHPian

Caught a minor accident between an Alto K10 (overtaking unnecessarily on a narrow road), and an unsuspecting Alto800 on my Dash Cam, here near Manali this evening.

AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 22:31   #37634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Caught a minor accident between an Alto K10 (overtaking unnecessarily on a narrow road), and an unsuspecting Alto800 on my Dash Cam, here near Manali this evening.

https://Youtu.be/-H7HXbAdplw
The way guy came out of the front car ... He is born ready to fight.
Rain and twisty road are dangerous combination.
FalconRed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 23:57   #37635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Check this out. Happened in Tirupati, right in front of my car!

https://Youtu.be/Y273QPm-_Do
My take on this unexplainable accident is that the helmet got stuck between the handle bar and the fuel tank, which led to this accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Either he must have been drunk or he must have had some health-related issue or a seizure. I feel sorry for him and hope he is alright now.
This is a possibility, but the way he overcame the accident, it does not seem to be the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20230319_2354252.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 20th March 2023 at 00:00.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed