Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 11:27   #37636
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
My take on this unexplainable accident is that the helmet got stuck between the handle bar and the fuel tank, which led to this accident.
We came to the same conclusion. I think he hung his helmet to the handle bar and it prevented him from changing the direction of his bike.

At first, we did not see the side under run bars of the truck. So, we thought he is going to go under the wheels and as it was happening just few feet in front of us, we were terrified

That explains the audio where my wife was asking him to leave the truck
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 18:30   #37637
Senior - BHPian

Sad accident:
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...-kottayam.html

Article says rider lost control on the curve and the truck ran over him. As expected the poor truck has been taken into custody.

Looks like the rider may have forgotten to kick back the side stand?
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 19:28   #37638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
While that is a possible reason, the angle of tilt of the bike and the centrifugal force because of his speed would have taken him beyond the median line anyway. Absolutely reckless driving leading to death. That turn is too tight for that speed.

Poor trucker did nothing visibly wrong in the video, but he's the one who'll unfortunately face jail time.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 20:32   #37639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
his speed would have taken him beyond the median line anyway
I think he saw the truck and realized exactly that at the last moment and maybe slammed on the brakes. That's how it looks to me at least, his rear tire seems to have locked up.
sravankrishnan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 22:12   #37640
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Videos like these should are periodically posted by all media houses.

https://Youtu.be/zl_JSyhhi0k
This video has had 7.5k views and 50 comments in one day.

Had this been a random car review where a miniskirt wearing girl says 'woww, a beautiful car from XYZ company, it's cute, no ? I love the red colour of this, what do you think ? it looks nice, no ? please subscribe and comment' , this would have had 750k views and 5k comments.
Its sad and pathetic, but it's the truth w.r.t where we are, today.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 23:12   #37641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sad accident:
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...-kottayam.html

Article says rider lost control on the curve and the truck ran over him. As expected the poor truck has been taken into custody.

So sad. I wish these youngsters visit this thread inside out before hitting the road.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 00:56   #37642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Both the above phrases are indicative of our collective, cultural attitude towards safety. We are busy shirking all personal responsibility for safety. It is time for us to emphasize the basic fact of life, the same fact of life that every living organism except Homo Sapiens seem to understand.
You and you alone are responsible for your own survival and continued existence.
This reminded me of a recent experience.

Me, wife and kids were visiting a relative in a village. We had plans to meet another distant relative, but weren't sure how to reach his house. So one of the cousins offered to come and show the route. He started ahead in his Indica, we followed in our Compass. He took us on a shortcut, a very narrow partly paved road. I was driving slow, barely able to catch up with him when I noticed few kids playing on the roadside. Just after the indica passed one of the kids started coming to the middle of the road in his bicycle without looking anywhere. I stopped letting him pass, and started moving again and then I hear him shouting " what is your horn for? dekhne ke liye rakha he kya? "

I still don't know if it was my mistake not to honk. I didn't honk probably because I didn't want to startle the kids and disturb the quiet neighbourhood, but what I felt was how we teach our kids to put the blame on someone else right from the beginning.

I learned my lesson, I have started honking more often in similar situations. I pray that kid learns too, how to be safer on the road.

Last edited by Night Raven : 21st March 2023 at 01:00.
Night Raven is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 07:23   #37643
Distinguished - BHPian

Never thought I would be posting on this thread after being personally impacted by an accident.

https://twitter.com/IndiaToday/statu...312744451?s=20

Rajalakshmi was an acquaintance, not someone I knew outside of my weekly Sunday runs, but nevertheless part of one’s life - a fixture on the roads whom one smiled at and cheered while running for the last several years. Looks like her life was lost because of a drunk driver. Sadly, the cops seem to have taken 9 hours after the accident to test the driver for alcohol - and claim there was no CCTV footage available (on Worli Sea Face) - wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to shield the accused. I hope the cops take action against the driver here - but the odds are that like many other drunk drivers before him, he will get away after a few days in custody. Feeling depressed.

Last edited by Hayek : 21st March 2023 at 07:25.
Hayek is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 08:46   #37644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Never thought I would be posting on this thread after being personally impacted by an accident.

https://twitter.com/IndiaToday/statu...312744451?s=20

Rajalakshmi was an acquaintance, not someone I knew outside of my weekly Sunday runs, but nevertheless part of one’s life - a fixture on the roads whom one smiled at and cheered while running for the last several years.

Feeling depressed.
I completely understand the feeling and we’re all still in shock. I got the news quite by accident (ironically on a car group and not my running groups - I wasn’t checking my group chats phone as I was out till late morning on a ride).

Raji was part of our running group at Shivaji Park and I’m thinking back on the number of times we’ve had post Sunday run breakfast in town, waved and cheered at each other while running or just random banter amongst us all at Marine drive NCPA at the end of our runs. This is a very close knit group of runners, many of whom have been running together for almost a decade. It is a devastating blow and really hits home, as you said.

My prayers are with her husband (also a runner with our group), son and extended family in this difficult time. The funeral is scheduled for late AM today.

I dont want to say anything more on this for now, including on the accident itself. Thinking of what must have happened angers and terrifies me in equal measure. There is too much stupidity and callousness on our roads on a daily basis and I see no positive change forthcoming any time soon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st March 2023 at 08:49.
Axe77 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:37   #37645
BHPian

A significant judgment and observation by Bombay High Court.

Driving at high speed alone will not attract offence of rash and negligent driving: Bombay High Court

I'm not sure whether this will stand scrutiny by bigger benches or Supreme court, but I thought it's worth sharing here.
Old 21st March 2023, 14:40   #37646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Rajalakshmi was an acquaintance, not someone I knew outside of my weekly Sunday runs, but nevertheless part of one’s life - a fixture on the roads whom one smiled at and cheered while running for the last several years. Looks like her life was lost because of a drunk driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Raji was part of our running group at Shivaji Park and I’m thinking back on the number of times we’ve had post Sunday run breakfast in town...
So sad for you both, and for all her friends and family.

I read about this accident in the newspaper. It didn't occur to me that I would be reading about it from friends here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:05   #37647
BHPian

Can seniors summarize what are the steps to be taken when an accident takes place 1) in your own area, 2) when we are outstation, 3) In case of human injury or in any other situation with relation to police, insurance, repairs when outstation etc. Do we take photos, leave the vehicle in the middle of the road or move it, report to nearest police chowky, call the insurance or the nearest workshop?
murlidar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 00:16   #37648
BHPian

As many other members have said, contributing to this thread when one's own vehicle/family is involved, is a sad feeling. So I just got back to India after a 3 weeks vacation to the UK (will try writing a mini travelogue), missed my car and bike a lot, as expected. First thing I saw when I got home was a big dent and scrape on the rear right bumper of our Honda City. I asked dad about it and he told me that a driver rear ended the car when they were stopped at a red light in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi. The signal turned green after 5 seconds and the culprit fled instantly. My father is not a person who looks for problems. He is very calm and patient and does not want to make a scene. I straight away checked the dashcam footage but unfortunately it had been overwritten by the new footage. This happened on 12th March.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-upload-1.jpg

Yesterday when I was driving in rural Noida, I had to slow down and eventually stop due to a herd of buffaloes on the road. I slowed down gradually but a Wagon R behind me didn't brake in time and again banged my car. I stepped down to check the damage and luckily there was no new battle scar but I still gave the driver a mouthful. I suspect he was talking on the phone. I'll post the dashcam video so let me know what you can make out of it.

I searched his license plate and voila, found 9 unpaid challans, 1 for no seatbelt, 1 for overspeeding, 2 for disobedience and 5 unmentioned ones. Some people just never learn.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-violations.jpg

The damage is such that the entire rear bumper needs to be replaced. My question to members is that - When I claim insurance to get the rear bumper replaced (recent incident), can I also get the front bumper replaced (entirely different incident, it got damaged a year back but I was waiting for a claim opportunity to come up to get it replaced) ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a United India Assurance zero-dep policy. I know we have to come to terms with our country's pathetic drivers but still it is very unpleasant to look at your car scratched and banged from all 4 sides.

last year's front bumper scar
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-upload-2.jpg

Yash390 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:19   #37649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
When I claim insurance to get the rear bumper replaced (recent incident), can I also get the front bumper replaced (entirely different incident, it got damaged a year back but I was waiting for a claim opportunity to come up to get it replaced) ?
Should not be a problem if you tell them to write it as a rear ending leading to front collision causing damage to both bumpers.
BoneCollector is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:15   #37650
BHPian

Depends on the policy too. When I got my car repaired last year, I was able to file two seperate claims (one for back and one for front). Had to fill two incident reports, and the claim numbers were also different. I was suggested to do that by the SA, as I had an AIG policy, and according to him this is a benefit only in AIG and a couple of others where they take upto two claims together. I couldn't claim under one as the damage was from two seperate incidents and it was very apparent with the placement of the damage too. I was hesitant at first, but it all went smoothly. You may want to check with your SA at the workshop and hopefully he can guide on it better.
Jekyl87 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed