Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 00:11   #28741
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Eight members of a family killed after car rams into truck on Yamuna Expressway

Source : Times of India

Quote:
Major (retired) Manoj Manish Singh, manager of Yamuna expressway Mathura section said, “The hatchback was probably cruising at a very high speed, there was nothing intact in the mangled car.
From the photo in the article, the vehicle appears to be a WagonR; overloaded and overspeeding; with 25 year old driver at controls (my guess).
Quote:
Prem Chand, husband of deceased Neeraj, said, “Around 16 members of our distant family were heading to Agra to visit Taj Mahal in two cars via Yamuna expressway.
So basically both vehicles were overloaded.

I have seen many such overloaded vehicles overtaking me on this Expressway where I prefer to drive at steady 95~98kmph. Sure shot recepie for disaster. I don't understand what goes on inside their heads when they plan such a thing.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 07:36   #28742
BHPian

"Oh well, there goes my job". Some people have all the chill in the world.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-64359870_10156306679627727_7940078788547706880_n.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 09:09   #28743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Source : Times of India
I'm glad that the truck driver got away and at least escaped a beating on the spot, even though he will be harassed since apparently his rear number plate came off at the accident site.

Imagine, having an FIR lodged against you for being rear ended by an overloaded car on a six lane expressway.

Again, India.
Mu009 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 11:10   #28744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Fatal accident involving a local Swift and a Fortuner (reportedly from MH) occurred in Goa today. 3 fatalities from the Swift. Other occupants of both the vehicles are admitted in hospital.
My condolences to the deceased, sad to see lives lost for no fault of theirs as they were in the right lane and that their only fault being that they were in a smaller car, sad really.

I am seriously beginning to doubt if building safer vehicles in India will really bring down the fatalities or increase them due to the false sense of security that encourages reckless driving.(had the swift been better built, would it have been different?)

The above being the prime example where the better built Fortuner, the driver felt invincible to do this unwanted overtake manoeuvre.

The ONLY way to prevent such accidents is better road design and disciplined driving.

Last edited by SideView : 17th June 2019 at 11:12.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:41   #28745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
What's puzzling is how had they managed to fit in 7 adults and a 11 year old child into that I'll fated Wagon R?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...6ZNiwvOgM.html
Old 17th June 2019, 13:26   #28746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I am seriously beginning to doubt if building safer vehicles in India will really bring down the fatalities or increase them due to the false sense of security that encourages reckless driving.(had the swift been better built, would it have been different?)

The above being the prime example where the better built Fortuner, the driver felt invincible to do this unwanted overtake manoeuvre.

The ONLY way to prevent such accidents is better road design and disciplined driving.
From the looks, the core body shell of Swift is intact, and from the looks of windshield swift passengers were not wearing seat belt. It is also important for rear passengers to wear seat belt which most dont in India.

Last edited by aerohit : 17th June 2019 at 13:28.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 22:09   #28747
BHPian

Received these 2 pics on Whatsapp, trying to understand what can be the cause for such damage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bmw2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bmw1.jpg
motorpsycho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 22:11   #28748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Received these 2 pics on Whatsapp, trying to understand what can be the cause for such damage.

Attachment 1885942

Attachment 1885943
Looks like the car did a jump over an illogical speed breaker with a very hard landing which has led to both front struts going through the fenders.
BoneCollector is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 22:13   #28749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looking at the way the suspension components on both sides have popped out, I think this BMW had a hard landing (after flying over a road hump at high speeds)

Last edited by SDP : 26th June 2019 at 09:38. Reason: minor typo :)
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 22:25   #28750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
very hard landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I think this BMW had a hard landing

Such a hard landing should have caused significant damage to the front fender/Bumper, I do not see anything from the pics.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 07:08   #28751
BHPian

When will they ever learn? This happened during a College Bus Day celebration in Chennai. Look at them drop like flies. Although, it looks like nobody was hurt.

Be careful kids, Uncle Darwin is watching.

jailbird_fynix is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 09:27   #28752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received these 2 pics on Whatsapp...
Woah! This is the first time I've seen suspension components tear through the fenders like that.

There's no obvious damage to the front bumper or even front alloys (it seems) which means the car didn't fly off something as high as typical Indian speed breakers.

Since this in an old BMW, another probable reason for such failure can be shoddy repair work or use of poor quality aftermarket strut mounts.

But first of all, I need to show these pictures to my good friend who loves to take speed breakers at 40-50 kph on his Grand i10 "without feeling a thing"

Last edited by self_driven : 18th June 2019 at 09:39.
self_driven is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 10:02   #28753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Such a hard landing should have caused significant damage to the front fender/Bumper, I do not see anything from the pics.
The front of the bumper did not have any impact, or breaks, it probably flexed. The underside must be a different story. And it has let go at the mount points.
The consistency of damage at both sides points to the speed breaker theorem, not bad repairs/workmanship.

Last edited by mayankk : 18th June 2019 at 10:09.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 10:30   #28754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Woah! This is the first time I've seen suspension components tear through the fenders like that.

There's no obvious damage to the front bumper or even front alloys (it seems) which means the car didn't fly off something as high as typical Indian speed breakers.

Since this in an old BMW, another probable reason for such failure can be shoddy repair work or use of poor quality aftermarket strut mounts.

But first of all, I need to show these pictures to my good friend who loves to take speed breakers at 40-50 kph on his Grand i10 "without feeling a thing"
Its none of these, the BMW has very short struts and low travel suspension. You could figuratively hide a strut down your pants and still not impress anyone!
ajmat is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 10:45   #28755
BHPian

Quote:
Four including 2 children killed as bus collides with auto rickshaw in Bengaluru
Another eight persons were seriously injured in the accident.
In a tragic road accident in Bengaluru on Monday, four people were killed and another eight persons suffered serious injuries after the auto rickshaw they were travelling in, was hit head-on by a bus.
The accident took place at Vishwanathapura on the Devanahalli-Doddaballapur stretch of National Highway-207.
“As the axle broke, the auto with 12 persons aboard veered to its right and collided head on with a private bus coming from the opposite direction. Passersby rushed the injured to hospital, where doctors declared four of them dead,” Ram Nivas Sepat, Superintendent of Police, Bengaluru Rural told The Times of India.
Police said the auto was heading towards Devanahalli as they were returning from the DC’s office when a speeding bus heading towards -Doddaballapur hit them after the driver lost control of the vehicle. The two families had gone to the DC’s office to update their Aadhaar cards but were told to return on Tuesday for the same.
All the four were dead on the spot due to the impact of the collision while the eight injured were rushed to Devanahalli government hospital after passers-by called for an ambulance.
Vishwanathapura Police have registered a case of accidental death and booked the bus driver, who is presently absconding, for negligent and rash driving. A manhunt for the driver has been launched.
Source
Unfortunate loss of lives, more tragic when it is of children. Not sure about the stretch where this happened, but 12 people in an auto (even if it is one of those share autos) is a recipe for disaster! Losing control due to a broken axle which might well be because of the overloading. Don't understand why the bus driver is being blamed here, he might've been over-speeding but the auto being overloaded and a broken axle is not on him. This is what scares me on undivided highways, that a sleepy/distracted guy veers into my lane and i got no time to react. Same applies to the tyre burst-jumping over dividers type incidents where you are not in control.
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed