Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 23:34   #15316
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this horrific accident while returning back home from Udupi over the weekend. This accident occurred on the Mangalore - Udupi highway where there are lots of construction activities going on along with diversions almost every 3 km or so.

Almost head on collision between a Fiat Linea and a Tata 407 took place and by looking at the condition of both vehicles, it has to be noted that the Fiat has taken the impact really well. The A Pillar is in tact and there is sufficient space in the driver's foot well. A quick conversation with the locals revealed that (not surprising) both front passengers walked away without a scratch (perhaps both wore their seat belts). However, the passenger in the rear seat suffered grievous injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152759.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152645.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152718.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152618.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152851.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152748.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152629.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152656.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152939.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152932.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152839.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140505_152921.jpg  

rohittunga is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 23:55   #15317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
However, the passenger in the rear seat suffered grievous injuries.
Time, people woke up to wearing seat belts all around! Rear seat fatalities have taken enough lives already. When will governments wake up and make seat belts for all passengers mandatory!
joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 00:27   #15318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this horrific accident while returning back home from Udupi over the weekend. This accident occurred on the Mangalore - Udupi highway where there are lots of construction activities going on along with diversions almost every 3 km or so.

Almost head on collision between a Fiat Linea and a Tata 407 took place and by looking at the condition of both vehicles, it has to be noted that the Fiat has taken the impact really well. The A Pillar is in tact and there is sufficient space in the driver's foot well. A quick conversation with the locals revealed that (not surprising) both front passengers walked away without a scratch (perhaps both wore their seat belts). However, the passenger in the rear seat suffered grievous injuries.
Saw these images on FB as well and as per the locals both the occupants in the linea as well as 407 walked away scratch-less. There were only 2 occupants in linea it seems.

This is a clear testimony of the build quality on the fiat cars. Look at the condition of the truck. Head on and no casualties. Seriously salute FIAT , a life insurance.

The cabin is totally intact.
amit_mechengg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 01:01   #15319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I just did that route and saw many accidents en route.

The worst was a huge pileup involving about 4-5 buses, couple of trucks and a badly mangled car (Blue shade like in the Etios/Aquaris Blue of Ford), which was sandwiched between 2 heavy vehicles. :(
My colleague also passed by the same accident, saw the pictures he took. Looked to me as Micra / Pulse. Sadly six people lost their lives :( . May their soul RIP.
Old 6th May 2014, 09:40   #15320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One would be amazed to see only when they see the condition of 407 on how well the Linea has taken the impact. Seat belts for sure have ensured the passengers remained in place and walk away without a scratch!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:30   #15321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One would be amazed to see only when they see the condition of 407 on how well the Linea has taken the impact. Seat belts for sure have ensured the passengers remained in place and walk away without a scratch!

Oh absolutely !!! In my opinion this is because the chassis rail of the 407 never made any serious contact with the car. If you observe the 5th photo, you can see how the rails have been relatively untouched. Therefore its just the cab of the 407 that took the brunt of this accident.

But the more prevalent issue here, as rightly mentioned by joybhowmik is making all passengers in the car, whether sitting in the front or back to wear seat belts. We often tuck the rear seat belt harness under the seat to make the rear passengers more comfortable.

Its high time that we change that mindset.
rohittunga is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:42   #15322
Senior - BHPian

The Linea has held up itself very nicely even after such a bad crash. I think the 407 driver was very very fortunate to survive such a crash keeping in mind, safety for commercial vehicles would be very low in priority while building/designing them.

Dont know if the 407 driver was wearing the seat belt and if it saved him.

I really hope no one was hurt as initially it was reported that passengers in rear seat were hurt badly.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:50   #15323
BHPian

OMG!! I could not believe the condition of the truck. The 407 looks equally bashed up as well.
Hats off to the fiat. Really well made cars.
I might be wrong but it looks as if the dash of the Linea has come forward? Maybe the snap I don't know but if you look carefully the steering wheel has advanced considerably. Would have been painful if the driver was a large person.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:29   #15324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Time, people woke up to wearing seat belts all around! Rear seat fatalities have taken enough lives already. When will governments wake up and make seat belts for all passengers mandatory!
Why should we wait for the govt to give instructions on safety with regard to seat belts. It should come on our own.

Just like we follow the morning schedule of getting up, brushing our teeth, bathing, wearing clothes, getting inside the car to go to office without anyone reminding us, likewise the moment we get into the car we should wear the seat belts automatically. If a co passenger happens to travel with you, remind him/her to wear the seat belt.

The onus is on us to save our precious lives and not wait for a third person to say YOUR LIFE IS PRECIOUS.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 11:32   #15325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
OMG!! I could not believe the condition of the truck. The 407 looks equally bashed up as well.
Hats off to the fiat. Really well made cars.
I might be wrong but it looks as if the dash of the Linea has come forward? Maybe the snap I don't know but if you look carefully the steering wheel has advanced considerably. Would have been painful if the driver was a large person.
Its the seat that has moved forward.
Steering wheel is still at the same place,where it should be.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:37   #15326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Why should we wait for the govt to give instructions on safety with regard to seat belts. It should come on our own.

Just like we follow the morning schedule of getting up, brushing our teeth, bathing, wearing clothes, getting inside the car to go to office without anyone reminding us, likewise the moment we get into the car we should wear the seat belts automatically. If a co passenger happens to travel with you, remind him/her to wear the seat belt.

The onus is on us to save our precious lives and not wait for a third person to say YOUR LIFE IS PRECIOUS.

Could not agree more. At least in my case, when everyone is in the car, I ensure this. But there are many people in our country who don't. And it's for them that I speak.
It seems to me that the only way, Indians will follow some safety best practice, is if there is an economic penalty associated to its non-compliance. Hence the reference to the law - as everyone wants to avoid getting pulled up by the cop and being asked to pay not to mention the time spent waiting for the challan to be drawn up.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 11:46   #15327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could not agree more. At least in my case, when everyone is in the car, I ensure this. But there are many people in our country who don't. And it's for them that I speak.
It seems to me that the only way, Indians will follow some safety best practice, is if there is an economic penalty associated to its non-compliance. Hence the reference to the law - as everyone wants to avoid getting pulled up by the cop and being asked to pay not to mention the time spent waiting for the challan to be drawn up.
Enough awareness has been created about safety regarding seat belts. People who have this thought running in their blood will use seat belts for sure.

Instead of imposing penalty, may be the govt can think of SPOT RECOGNITIONS for those drivers who wear seat belts, follow driving rules. etc in line with what is followed in companies to improve the employee morale.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:49   #15328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems to me that the only way, Indians will follow some safety best practice, is if there is an economic penalty associated to its non-compliance.
Actually, there is research evidence that says monetary penalty will only serve to INCREASE non-compliance. It is my opinion that this is especially true in India.
Old 6th May 2014, 12:27   #15329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Instead of imposing penalty, may be the govt can think of SPOT RECOGNITIONS for those drivers who wear seat belts, follow driving rules. etc in line with what is followed in companies to improve the employee morale.
Interesting idea. Who will fund it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Actually, there is research evidence that says monetary penalty will only serve to INCREASE non-compliance.
Please provide citations in the context of seat belt use.
Old 6th May 2014, 13:54   #15330
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Rohit, the car belonged to a colleague of mine and her husband. They both were buckled up and were in the front along with their daughter, while a relative was in the back. Thanks to Airbags and seatbelts, both of them escaped with minor bruises but the relative sustained some serious head injuries, but said to be out of danger.

According to them, the 407 rammed head on at high speed while overtaking. Apparently there was fire after the collision according to them and their daughter sustained some minor injuries - I guess it has something to do with the airbags deployment.

Thank god they are safe. Another example how seat belts and airbags save lives.

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 6th May 2014 at 13:59.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks