Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 22:07   #15541
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This happened right before my eyes. A crane rear ended this car. The way it went in reminded me of a coke can being crushed.
The car came to a sudden stop at a traffic light. The crane thought the car would clear the signal. The car applied brakes when the light changed to red. The crane not being able to stop in time did this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140606_162537.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140606_162556.jpg  

bigben is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 09:13   #15542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The vehicle is unidentifiable by the photograph in newspaper.
Here's the report- 11 Killed As Train Hits Car in Bihar
With reference to the above, I am attaching an image where in one can see how a car, a Zen Estilo, has been overloaded. The car has stopped at a junction & signal. I was standing there and was left wondering if the car is actually designed to take all the load ?
This also affects the car's dynamics.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140608_182401.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 09:28   #15543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

With reference to the above, I am attaching an image where in one can see how a car, a Zen Estilo, has been overloaded. The car has stopped at a junction & signal. I was standing there and was left wondering if the car is actually designed to take all the load ?
The car involved in that accident was indeed a Wagon R and it was overloaded with 13 people. What I see these days is that everyone who knows even to catch the steering wheel thinks himself/herself as a driver but driving a vehicle is not just that. One must be aware of driving dynamics of the vehicle concerned.
Old 10th June 2014, 11:18   #15544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The car involved in that accident was indeed a Wagon R and it was overloaded with 13 people.
If seat-belt is made mandatory for all occupants, doesn't this problem get solved automatically?
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 12:25   #15545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If seat-belt is made mandatory for all occupants, doesn't this problem get solved automatically?
In general I agree, but I have seen people use seat belt along with one sitting on their lap! Some time these are toddlers, children. If god forbid, in case of emergency, toddler will simply die due to strangulation.
Old 10th June 2014, 12:32   #15546
BHPian

Was witness to this accident yesterday Near Ratnagiri close to Tirupathi. A overtaking went wrong by the Polo but fortunately no one was hurt except for minor injuries even in the bus. The bus toppled when the driver tried to avoid collision.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140609_200448.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140609_200452.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140609_200620.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140609_200626.jpg  

Old 10th June 2014, 21:24   #15547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Was witness to this accident yesterday Near Ratnagiri close to Tirupathi. A overtaking went wrong by the Polo but fortunately no one was hurt except for minor injuries even in the bus. The bus toppled when the driver tried to avoid collision.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.
Unless the polo has turned 180 degrees and looking at direction in which the Tata Venture is moving, the car seems to be on the right lane. Was it a overtaking blunder by the bus instead? Am i missing something.
Old 10th June 2014, 22:57   #15548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Unless the polo has turned 180 degrees and looking at direction in which the Tata Venture is moving, the car seems to be on the right lane. Was it a overtaking blunder by the bus instead? Am i missing something.

No, The polo tried to move to the right lane trying to avoid the bus but was unable to avoid. the polo came to a Halt after moving few meters after the crash.
Old 11th June 2014, 13:22   #15549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I will see your Zen Estillo pic and Raise you a Maruthi Omni with about 14 people ( including Kids). I was waiting for him to get inside the mall in Mangalore and i was amazed to see people continue to pour out of the Omni. And I think it was just 1 family. I saw one grownup male , about 3 grownup women and rest of the crowd ranging from toddlers to teenagers. Too bad i wasn't carrying a camera for it. I had a hard time trying to compute what just happened.

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 11th June 2014 at 13:26. Reason: spelling
Old 11th June 2014, 14:19   #15550
BHPian

Saw this Skoda which ran in to a mud pile .The under body may be damaged as smoke was coming out from the top of the engine. No casualties. Sorry for the poor pic as I was traveling on the highway.The place is outer ring road Mysore last Saturday evening. Main culprit is the work happening on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140607_165123587.jpg  

Old 11th June 2014, 15:19   #15551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
This happened right before my eyes. A crane rear ended this car. The way it went in reminded me of a coke can being crushed.
The car came to a sudden stop at a traffic light. The crane thought the car would clear the signal. The car applied brakes when the light changed to red. The crane not being able to stop in time did this!!
This is the price one pays for obeying traffic rules in our country !
Old 11th June 2014, 15:24   #15552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Nothing to do with traffic rules, but the crane driver not keeping sufficient braking distance. Defensive driving from the car driver could have prevented this accident.

Last edited by msdivy : 11th June 2014 at 15:25.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:35   #15553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both agree and disagree here. If the driver of the Verna was in 2 minds - push across Vs. stop - then it is fully understandable that in the last minute he makes up his mind not to push through just as the light goes red and brakes hard. Not a very smart thing to do, and he could be a candidate for causing the collision. If the light is green, you should still be cautious, go a bit slower, and look out for others jumping red from perpendicular road & light turning red without an amber sequence (frequently happens in this country!!). So while he has done the right thing in stopping at the red light, he maybe hasn't gone about it in the correct way.

On the other hand, the crane operator really should be watching out for both traffic in front of him and the lights at the junction. And he should have anticipated this Verna stopping. And, being behind the Verna, he should be getting ready to stop - so even if a collision happened, he would anyway be slowing hence impact would have been very less.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:39   #15554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Nothing to do with traffic rules, but the crane driver not keeping sufficient braking distance. Defensive driving from the car driver could have prevented this accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Both agree and disagree here. If the driver of the Verna was in 2 minds - push across Vs. stop - then it is fully understandable that in the last minute he makes up his mind not to push through just as the light goes red and brakes hard. Not a very smart thing to do, and he could be a candidate for causing the collision. If the light is green, you should still be cautious, go a bit slower, and look out for others jumping red from perpendicular road & light turning red without an amber sequence (frequently happens in this country!!). So while he has done the right thing in stopping at the red light, he maybe hasn't gone about it in the correct way.

On the other hand, the crane operator really should be watching out for both traffic in front of him and the lights at the junction. And he should have anticipated this Verna stopping. And, being behind the Verna, he should be getting ready to stop - so even if a collision happened, he would anyway be slowing hence impact would have been very less.
I agree the car driver could have been more proactive however that doesn't deter the crane driver from rear-ending the car as irrespective of the car driver's action he should have come to a stop seeing the signal turn red.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:52   #15555
BHPian

Quote:
Anticipated driving would've been helpful in saving the car from the damage and the owner from unwanted hassles. 👍

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks