Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 09:12   #15661
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Hey doc! That's some advice which will stick with me now! A crocodile - that's an apt description...in fact we have the articulated BMTC buses here and the numerous tractor trolleys which fit the description better
Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
In fact the bendy buses in Bangalore have rear wheel steering which activates when the steering moves towards full lock. In my opinion these buses turn better than the typical older long overhang chassis buses.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 09:56   #15662
BHPian

My very own .. lucky to have survived this crash, with a fracture and 5 screws to my leg.

After living overseas there are some things you get used to, the least you expect is somebody to reverse on an expressway without any hazard lights or visible indications

I rear ended an Omni which was reversing on SCLR. The Police case and Insurance claim is another story.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140423_1005011.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140423_1005101.jpg  

Old 28th June 2014, 10:14   #15663
BHPian

^ Glad that you made it with few minor injuries. That crash looks bad.

Please share more about the incident and aftermath, for the benefit of other members.
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 10:27   #15664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
My very own .. lucky to have survived this crash, with a fracture and 5 screws to my leg.

After living overseas there are some things you get used to, the least you expect is somebody to reverse on an expressway without any hazard lights or visible indications

I rear ended an Omni which was reversing on SCLR. The Police case and Insurance claim is another story.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care while driving.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 11:23   #15665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Speedy recovery, mate!

Your car took a good portion of the hit - the passenger compartment seems unaffected. Then why so much impact on you? Screws put to be safe or for faster healing?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 13:24   #15666
BHPian

Thank you all for the concern shown.

@phamilyman.. What I know is that the A pillars bent and jammed up the front doors and prevented them from opening, had to jump to the rear seat and come out of the car. By that time my knee had paining badly (the only injury). I have no explanation on how my knee got hit by the dashboard etc. I was indeed wearing the seat belt which prevented any further injuries.

There was two fractures on my lower bone (tibia) and also the gap between the knee and the tibia was uneven. The screws were put in place so that the gap heals evenly with bone held in place with the help of the screws.
shivshanker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 14:48   #15667
BHPian

Sorry to see this happen Shivshankar, reversing on the SCLR is quite common as people coming from under the bridge from Ghatkopar do not realize they need to take the extreme right and not climb the bridge. Wish you a speedy recovery.

On Thursday about 1800 hours a TATA 407 in front me skid and stopped at 90º blocking the entire side towards Amarmahal. Luckily I screeched to a stop an inch from it. I was doing about 60 KMPH. This happened again yesterday at around 0745 a chicken truck(TATA 407) on the same lane skid and stopped. I was on my way towards Santacruz. Don't know why this is happening.

RoS
Old 28th June 2014, 15:05   #15668
BHPian

Thank your stars Shiv that there were no fatalities.
Whats the story about police case, did they put the blame upon you that hit the omni guy?
Old 28th June 2014, 15:24   #15669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Thank your stars Shiv that there were no fatalities.
Whats the story about police case, did they put the blame upon you that hit the omni guy?
Ofcourse, I hit the guy from behind. so to start with the Police came down to the hospital and told me that based on my convenience I will be arrested. They were kind enough and very polite and told me that they will do the "procedure" when I am ready and out of the hospital.

This was a first for me, did not know that for a Motor Vehicle accident also I would be arrested and later released on bail.

It took a lot of convincing, along with Engineering drawing and high school Physics of Force = Mass x Acceleration to convince that the other person was indeed reversing on the SCLR

Last edited by shivshanker : 28th June 2014 at 15:26.
Old 28th June 2014, 15:36   #15670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Police came down to the hospital and told me that based on my convenience I will be arrested.

It took a lot of convincing, .... to convince that the other person was indeed reversing on the SCLR
That's a bad crash but the Baleno has taken the hit pretty well. I wish you a speedy recovery. BTW, what is the version of the other party? Is it that they are denying the fact that they were reversing?
Also, since the crash looks like a hi-speed one, were the Omni passengers injured too?
Old 28th June 2014, 15:49   #15671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That's a bad crash but the Baleno has taken the hit pretty well. I wish you a speedy recovery. BTW, what is the version of the other party? Is it that they are denying the fact that they were reversing?
Also, since the crash looks like a hi-speed one, were the Omni passengers injured too?
Like I said, it took some amount of real convincing with the policemen. The matter is sub judice.
Old 28th June 2014, 15:59   #15672
BHPian

I have a feeling that a Dashboard camera can be of help in such situations. The court accepts it as evidence or not is a different story.
Old 28th June 2014, 17:52   #15673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, it took some amount of real convincing with the policemen. The matter is sub judice.
Looks like a nasty crash. Your leg must have suffered quite some impact even through the upper body was held in place by the seat belt. The accident took place in the daytime or night? Weren't the reversing lights switched on with the Omni? This is indeed a serious menace and I have no words to describe the mentality of such drivers. You can afford a car but cannot afford the fuel expense to cover those extra 2-3 kms to take a valid U turn and return back. Reversing on expressways, highways, start of flyovers etc is really risky specially since the average speed of traffic coming in is quite a lot.

Going by the damage to your car, I am sure the Omni would have suffered considerable damage too specially since it never was a very well built car to begin with. Any pics of that?
Old 28th June 2014, 17:53   #15674
Senior - BHPian

Lost a colleague of mine due to an accident near Kakinada. He was traveling in a Ford Figo which was rear ended by a trailer causing the tragic death. He had multiple internal injuries which led to his death. None of the other passengers where injured but for minor bruises except for my friend.
Circumstances that led to the accident is still unclear as the family is in a state of shock. The truck driver fled the scene soon after this. Locals had a tough time trying to extricate people from the mangled wreck as all the occupants had lost consciousness.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20140701125541.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20140701125544.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20140701125546.png

Name:  Screenshot  20140701125549 Large Medium.png
Views: 3681
Size:  939.4 KB

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20140701125551.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2014 at 13:04. Reason: Uploading the pictures directly
Old 28th June 2014, 18:30   #15675
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the crash and from the pics you shave posted looks like your ride has taken a nasty hit. Thank god that you were belted up and did not suffer serious injuries. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Rajeev1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed