Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:05   #15691
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
How did that happen? Any casualities? I see air bags open. Hope no one is in serious condition.
According to my friend, there was no "Diversion" sign placed. The car veered off, hit a couple of ditches, did a couple of side-flips, hit an electric pole before coming to a halt. None of them are seriously injured. Most of the scratches suffered were in an effort to get out of the car after the accident.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:36   #15692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have seen several instances on this thread, of cars "losing control" and hitting something. Instances where expensive cars are involved, really confuse me; most cars costing over a million rupees today, are equipped with an electronic stability monitoring/control program. Now I have personally witnessed and tested these technologies in several cars including mine, in closed, controlled spaces and I have even experienced this by accident while driving a friend's car and losing control at high speeds (my negligence, I admit.) in a corner due to not seeing the presence of sand. Once the car is sliding sideways, as long as the system is activated (which it is by default everytime the car is turned on), all you need to do is point the wheel in the direction you intend on going, and the system brakes/cuts off power etc. to individual wheels after monitoring their separate speeds, direction in which the nose is pointed and direction in which the steering wheel is pointed, to set you on the right track. It is really simple. I understand that some accidents occur at really high speeds where there is no time to react but otherwise, the number of reported instances, the vast majority being ones with loads of road and speeds under 120, where people still end up crashing, baffles me. Do drivers of these cars not know how to use the technology, do they instinctively freeze up? What exactly occurs?
Well in this case it was the driver who "lost control" by doing DUI. No technology can help that.
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:56   #15693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen several instances on this thread, of cars "losing control"
Quote:
Well in this case it was the driver who "lost control"
It's always the driver who looses control. To say anything else is one of those handy avoiding-responsibility tricks, and, sadly, the media plays along with this game.

In many cases, it means that the driver never had proper control in the first place. They may have been under the illusion that they had, but the smallest unforeseen incident or snag proves otherwise.

Perhaps the most dangerous thing about modern cars is that they have become too "easy" and comfortable to drive: we do not feel the ever-present danger.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:42   #15694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In many cases, it means that the driver never had proper control in the first place. They may have been under the illusion that they had, but the smallest unforeseen incident or snag proves otherwise.
So true! Every Indian seems to believe he is the cat's whiskers when it comes to driving expertise!
Also, I have never understood why each one wants to prove his manhood behind the wheel of an automobile! There seem to be no other avenues where he can establish himself as a talented or accomplished person!

Quote:
It's always the driver who looses control. ......
... and that, sir, should be 'loses control'!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 05:28   #15695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
According to my friend, there was no "Diversion" sign placed. The car veered off, hit a couple of ditches, did a couple of side-flips, hit an electric pole before coming to a halt. None of them are seriously injured. Most of the scratches suffered were in an effort to get out of the car after the accident.
I have travelled on this route very recently where there was only one diversion between Suryapet and Hyderabad. There is a diversion near Choutuppal where the four lane becomes undivided 2 lane road for just 100 meters. The reason being an under pass is still under construction below a railway line.

Looking at the registration number of the vehicle, I assume that the accident must have taken place in Nalgonda Dist.

What was the time of the accident? Thank God none of them were seriously injured.

These days lorries which are parked on the left lane are becoming a menace on this route. There was an accident yesterday where a Volvo bus trying to overtake a lorry from the left lane rear ended a parked lorry, resulting in the death of the attendant of the bus.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:00   #15696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This one is chilling, more so, because I drive a Figo and I am almost always worried if the time comes, can it take the hit and let the occupants survive.
It depends on several factors. While one of the rear seat occupants perished, the others survived with only scratches.

We do not know if the occupants had belted themselves. We do not know why the Figo stopped. Going by the last two pictures, there's a skid mark from the rear right tyres of the truck to the front right tyre of the Figo, and I suspect it's made by the Figo. So the Figo was pushed for a few metres before the truck could stop.

Also the road seems to be a two lane one-way road and enough of a shoulder for the Figo to pull up at the roadside. This makes it difficult to understand why the truck rammed into the car full-on instead of a side swipe. Also if the car had stopped at the roadside, the impact would have pushed it off the road, but since the car is bang in the middle of the road, it seems the car stopped in the lane itself.

Or it could be that on sensing the truck dangerously near the car, the driver panicked and braked hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
What speeds were they doing to have caused all this? The vehicle seems to be tangled in barbed wire. That could have led to some nasty scratches.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:02   #15697
BHPian

Quote:
It's always the driver who looses control. To say anything else is one of those handy avoiding-responsibility tricks, and, sadly, the media plays along with this game.

Perhaps the most dangerous thing about modern cars is that they have become too "easy" and comfortable to drive: we do not feel the ever-present danger.
I totally agree with you. More often than not, drivers feel they are in complete control. Yes, one might be an excellent driver and always be in control of one's vehicle. Agreed. But, NO ONE can control another vehicle or the surroundings. Another vehicle abruptly changing lanes, or braking hard, or losing control, or a dog jumping across the road, or a badly constructed road, these things are NOT in our control. As a responsible driver, it is our duty to take all these into account, expect the unexpected and drive at a speed which is LESS than avg speed at which you we comfortable. We should drive according to the conditions and always be in a situation that we can stop, or at least avoid a collision.

I remember an incident that happened a few years ago. I was driving at a speed of ~40kmph and there was a turn to the right. As I was approaching the turn, an oncoming Mahindra pick up truck loaded with wood took the turn at a high speed, resulting in a ~4 foot rusted metal rod, with hooks, to fall off the truck, right in front of me. The rod hit the road and bounced in the air, and was at a height of the front windscreen by the time I would have reached that spot. *Final Destination car crash scene*
Luckily, there was a bit of run off space to the left and I was able to swerve and avoid seemingly fatal accident.

I used to drive that route everyday, and I used to keep a speed of around 50-60 at that area. For some reason, I felt the need to drive at a speed of 30-40 kmph on that fateful day. If I was driving at my normal speed, I do NOT think I would have been able to avoid that collision. I thank the god for the thought that day!

Just thinking about that day sends shivers down my spine even today.
DDiSLover is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:51   #15698
Senior - BHPian

An accident happened just now at Mettukuppam bus-stop on OMR. Not sure of the sequence of events, but there is a beige/golden Verna (Fluidic) parked with quite some extensive damage at the front (windshield broken, passenger airbag deployed, could not see driver airbag from other side of the road) and also damage all along the right-side of the car + rear RHS lights broken. A water tanker is parked in front of it, which seems to be related to the accident. Cops were there enquiring. So was an ambulance - so maybe serious injuries.

Possibly the Verna was trying to overtake from right, when the tanker also moved to the right, Verna hit the median. Or it tried to overtake from the left and tanker side-swiped it.
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:28   #15699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I have travelled on this route very recently where there was only one diversion between Suryapet and Hyderabad. There is a diversion near Choutuppal where the four lane becomes undivided 2 lane road for just 100 meters. The reason being an under pass is still under construction below a railway line.

Looking at the registration number of the vehicle, I assume that the accident must have taken place in Nalgonda Dist.

What was the time of the accident? Thank God none of them were seriously injured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

What speeds were they doing to have caused all this? The vehicle seems to be tangled in barbed wire. That could have led to some nasty scratches.
It happened near/at Kodad. One of the front tires hit a ditch/hole at a diversion, rolled and hit two power poles. Apologies for the misinformation about the missing diversion sign before! It was around 10-11 in the morning when it happened. However, for an EcoSport to have tumbled the way it has, the car should definitely be at high speeds.
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:42   #15700
BHPian

2 days old news:

5 killed in head-on collision near Tarapur.

Quote:
Five persons were killed today when the car, in which they were travelling in, collided head-on with a private bus near here, police said.

The accident took place this morning when the car collided with a private luxury bus coming from opposite direction on Tarapur-Vataman highway in Tol village of the district, around 37 kms from here, sub-inspector, Tarapur police station P S Gadhvi said.

Full Article:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0101073_1.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10511264_10202559869053090_8402628696549131508_n.jpg
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:43   #15701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
2 days old news:
RIP. Looks like an overtaking gone terribly wrong. Usually, we see the Volvos in the wrong side in such accidents but in this case, the car driver seems to be at fault.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 01:40   #15702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like an overtaking gone terribly wrong.
Certainly looks like it is the car that is on the wrong side of the road. If we are right in our assumptions, then that's four passengers to give the driver hell ...for eternity. And, if we are right, he deserves it.

If we are wrong, then it is just another stupid tragedy.

Quote:
A case has been registered against the unidentified bus driver, who fled from spot immediately after the accident, police said.
Again, if we are right, that is just so unfair.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 04:46   #15703
BHPian

Quote:
2 days old news:
The worst ever and most terrible head - on collision I have seen in my life.

May those 5 souls RIP.
Old 4th July 2014, 06:22   #15704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
RIP. Looks like an overtaking gone terribly wrong. Usually, we see the Volvos in the wrong side in such accidents but in this case, the car driver seems to be at fault.
Quote:
Certainly looks like it is the car that is on the wrong side of the road.
As per another source, the driver of the car fell asleep on the wheels who had been driving all night. Driver lost control and the car collided head-on with the bus coming from the opposite direction. As per witness car was over 120 Km/hr.

Full Artilce:

http://dnasyndication.com/showarticl...u9vg4MRoxTxhc=
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 08:56   #15705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...As per witness car was over 120 Km/hr
Baffles me every time I read such pieces of news - a witness who was one among these:
a) a passer-by on foot
b) travelling in a bus
c) somebody living closeby
d) someone that reached the spot/called the ambulance or cops
e) someone who managed to catch a glimpse of the speedo in the crashed car, often with the needle resting on the max marking (120+ in most cars)

can accurately tell you the speed at which the vehicle that met with an accident was travelling.

It's high time the media show some restraint on publishing figures like these.

I am not at all justifying speeding or driving rash. But, in cases where someone who was driving neat and within the limits gets hit by some moron driving in the wrong lane, or some bigshot's car jumps a signal and gets hit by a mangoman's vehicle that had the green, the media always rushes to a conclusion that the "rogue" vehicle (which one it is, is anyone's guess) was being driven at over 100kmph, 120kmph, 140kmph etc, based on the vehicle.
silversteed is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks