Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:09   #15946
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
This was an accident mainly because of bad luck. That this happened right outside the local police station made things very difficult for the driver. What happened was that the container lorry had to move to the extreme left to avoid a bus which was overtaking from the opposite side, encroaching his lane. ...
And the bus driver was not caught and arrested? Well, no, I thought not.
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:21   #15947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I was away for a while traveling a lot between chennai and Bangalore. I happened to notice a horrible accident on June 25th, old airport road Bangalore. The Merc was speeding in a very narrow section and smashed into a DCM. Result I had no words after watching this. Didn't know what to take out if it- whether to criticize the driver or to appreciate the Mercedes build quality. Cabin completely intact.

That looks like a matador. one could also appreciate the build quality of the matador? guess the matador driver rubbed his head and walked away in one piece.
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:56   #15948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I was away for a while traveling a lot between chennai and Bangalore. I happened to notice a horrible accident on June 25th, old airport road Bangalore. The Merc was speeding in a very narrow section and smashed into a DCM. Result I had no words after watching this. Didn't know what to take out if it- whether to criticize the driver or to appreciate the Mercedes build quality. Cabin completely intact.
Actually today's cars, especially the ones high on safety, collapses a lot more in case of collision contributing to pedestrian and other safety regulations. In this case, Mercedes sacrificed its front end completely to absorb the shock of the impact and protect the passengers as well as other party involved in the collision. Matador took the impact because of sheer strength of its body but probably the driver of Matador absorbed much higher shock than that the Mercedes driver experienced. Poor chap probably took the bang with stars circling his head.
Once I had seen a 7 series which banged the rear end of our good old Hero Honda and you wouldn't believe the sight. Hero Honda had just some minor damages with which the biker could ride away but the front end of 7er was shockingly damaged. It might look shameful to a layman but that's how the car absorbs shock to protect the pedestrians, and passengers on-board. So it's actually for the car which absorbs the blow yet keeping the cabin safe. If the car is too strong to get damaged, it's probably passing on most of the shock to its driver and passengers.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 00:32   #15949
BHPian

I thought that the barricades left behind by the police after conducting nakabandis only cause traffic snarls, nothing much beyond that.

But, a man lost his life due to their negligence. Everyone has their side of story to defend themselves after such incidences, but based on what I've usually seen I'd take the police's side of story with a healthy dose of salt.

Link : http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumb...sness/15500164

In Mumbai, I've seen oh-so many times that the barricades are left just as they are and the cops leave without even moving them to the side.

-Bhargav
Old 4th August 2014, 00:44   #15950
BHPian

http://www.punjabkesari.in/news/article-270835

This happened in affair of saving Rs 20 of legal parking.

car owner went to visit some relative admit in hospital. The driver parked the Etios car near main gate of the hospital along with a wall to save Rs 20 of hospital parking and started waiting outside the car. Later the wall fallen down on the car.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2014_8image_16_20_11187600025ll1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2014_8image_16_20_18909600027ll1.jpg
Old 4th August 2014, 00:47   #15951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And the bus driver was not caught and arrested? Well, no, I thought not.
The bus never slowed down, forget stopping. The driver of the truck was kept in the police station till the transport company people came down and took him out. Poor chap got his life turned upside down just for no obvious fault of his.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:05   #15952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
car owner went to visit some relative admit in hospital. The driver parked the Etios car near main gate of the hospital along with a wall to save Rs 20 of hospital parking and started waiting outside the car. Later the wall fallen down on the car.
One more instance of poor construction quality! It is disgusting to see the media report it as if the wall fell down because the car was parked there. What if the car was parked in a parking area near the wall, probably on the other side? The contractor who built that wall should be booked and should be liable to pay for the damages, but sadly there is no mention of any action against anyone for something that could have resulted in fatalities.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 01:24   #15953
BHPian

Another set of pictures of the incident where a wall fell down on an etios in ludhiana. Photo courtesy: Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10590645_10152405730376696_3475599902140310663_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10559840_10152405730471696_2167814325306594551_n.jpg  

Old 4th August 2014, 07:00   #15954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
One more instance of poor construction quality! It is disgusting to see the media report it as if the wall fell down because the car was parked there. What if the car was parked in a parking area near the wall, probably on the other side? The contractor who built that wall should be booked and should be liable to pay for the damages, but sadly there is no mention of any action against anyone for something that could have resulted in fatalities.
Exactly my POV. The question that needs to be asked is how and why did the wall fell down? What if there were people standing instead of the car? For all you know, it may be that because the car was standing, people weren't and a tragedy was averted.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:06   #15955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I caught it from the other side.
Looks like the Merc was driving on the wrong side of the road to overtake the queue. Judging by the fact the Matador landed on the wrong side of the road. The impact must have been brutal
I wonder how did the driver manager such high speeds in that narrow lane. The impact was brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
That looks like a matador. one could also appreciate the build quality of the matador? guess the matador driver rubbed his head and walked away in one piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
It might look shameful to a layman but that's how the car absorbs shock to protect the pedestrians, and passengers on-board. So it's actually for the car which absorbs the blow yet keeping the cabin safe. If the car is too strong to get damaged, it's probably passing on most of the shock to its driver and passengers.
I meant, i was totally impressed with the Mercedes quality and its ability to save the driver. The cabin was totally intact, not even a single scratch reached the cabin.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 00:28   #15956
BHPian

Saw a horrible crash involving a Merc and a Tavera (i believe) while coming from airport Monday around 4 o clock morning. This happened right on Hebbal where you take the bridge to go towards MG road.

The Merc front end was smashed, and airbags deployed, it was a yellow number plate car.

The Other car hit the railing on the other end.
Old 5th August 2014, 10:20   #15957
BHPian

I thought such incidents occur only in metros but tier 2 towns are not behind.

From today's TOI:
Friendship day turns tragic for some. A girl driving ford figo loses control and ends up hitting 4 bikers in Nellore who were heading to the beach to celebrate friendship day. 3 people died and 9 were critically injured. The paper further says the girl had passion for fast cars.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...05082014007025

Last edited by IUNKWN : 5th August 2014 at 10:21. Reason: corrected numbers
Old 5th August 2014, 10:30   #15958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
The paper further says the girl had passion for fast cars.
I guess the paper should have said that she has a passion to drive fast, from reading what happened.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:24   #15959
BHPian

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but 3 youth (all in early thirties) lost their lives on August 3rd Sunday, when their Innova spun out of control and crashed into Shimsha river. Does anyone have more details on this? I was traveling on the same stretch a few hours before.

http://www.newskarnataka.com/otherci...Shimsha-river/

EDIT: PS: Just noticed that the photo in the link has pictures of bodies as well - distasteful. Viewer discretion advised.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 5th August 2014 at 11:27. Reason: Graphic warning
Old 5th August 2014, 11:43   #15960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but 3 youth (all in early thirties) lost their lives on August 3rd Sunday, when their Innova spun out of control and crashed into Shimsha river.
Read the same in TOI too. Though this is a sharp turn, it is not a blind turn as the newspaper article would want you to believe.

Also, what is strange is from the pics the vehicle is seen lying in riverbed, which is after the turn while coming from Mysore side.

There is already a set of speed breakers on both side of the road once you cross the bridge (near to adigas) guess there will be another set coming up before also now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks