Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 23:11   #16246
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
... Heard that the guys were pretty influential and got away without much legal hassles but they were dealt with very badly by local guys and was in bad shape before cops arrived.
I'm afraid that I don't wish them a speedy recovery.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:15   #16247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Apparently crashed into road divider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bangalore Mirror is reporting that the engineers responsible for leaving the divider unpainted leading to this accident have been arrested.
I was in the mood for a drive this evening at 9 pm, so I took the ORR from Hebbal to Silk Board, to experience these fly overs again. In the spirit of this test run, it also started to rain!

I found that there were some dividers that were unpainted or without reflectors, and in other places the start of the flyover did not have working street lights. In all cases, there was no clear & gradual "lead up" to the divider: there was probably 2 feet of paintwork on the road and then the divider of ~4ft pops up!

In those respects, it is an infrastructure failure - be it the design (having bus bay lanes branching off to the right) or implementation (absence of signage, reflectors, street lights) and it helps that the police are sending a stern message about the same.

During my drive, it did take me a little more effort to identify the flyovers on occasion, but the signs are there for anyone who's observant - either you'll notice some tail-lights going up and others that don't (when there's traffic ahead) or you'll notice the blockage of anything ahead (when there's no traffic ahead and the flyover blocks your vision).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...if there is something in the middle of the road it is still down to the driver to avoid it. This particularly applies to so-called-professional drivers, and especially those driving public-transport vehicles.
I fully agree with this - the keyword in my previous paragraph is 'observant' - my attention was on the road, and I wasn't tired. I'm not sure if the driver of the cab in question did the same.

IANAL, but the cab driver is guilty of involuntary manslaughter (recklessness) just as the flyover chappies are guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence.

On the topic of the driver, Thad's keyword is 'professional driver'. This is not some guy who's spent years driving on the Autobahn and then came to India and got bitten by our shoddy roads. He's a local cabbie, who should and would have knowledge of the ORR.

Looking at the grievous damage on the Indigo (passenger compartment intrusion, engine sheared off its mounts), it would appear that the speed of the accident was quite high. I'm not an automotive engineer to speculate as to the speed of the accident, but this was no fender bender, it was a crash.

And that begs the question - why was the driver 'overspeeding'? I put overspeeding in quotes since that word does not only denote exceeding the speed limit - it also means driving beyond the limits and capabilities of man and machine for the given weather conditions.

In this case, night-time automatically dictates that you should be able to see something at the reach of your headlights and be able to stop before it (not evade it).

This driver didn't.
He paid the price, sadly with collateral damage.
Old 15th September 2014, 09:20   #16248
Team-BHP Support

Today's spectacular event - a Sumo straddling the divider outside Elsin. What is amazing is that it traveled 100 feet down so you can imagine the speed and no sign of the oil pan cracking!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:04   #16249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Today's spectacular event - a Sumo straddling the divider outside Elsin. What is amazing is that it traveled 100 feet down so you can imagine the speed and no sign of the oil pan cracking!
And it caused an absolute horrendous jam. Took me a good 25 minutes to cross the signal - usually it is 5. Add to it a highly trained bus driver was driving down the one way, not meant for him.

I was kind of taken aback as to how did the Sumo manage to travel so much ahead on the divider. Cops were already present - I hope it has been towed. The driver, meanwhile was still sitting in his Sumo. Crossed the place close to 8:05am. Could not snap any pics.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:03   #16250
BHPian

Mod note: Post edited, please avoid typing like this.... use punctuations instead. Affects readability. Thanks.

Another almost 'run of the mill' news:
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/four...ident/15606155

I do not want to blurt the customary lament, but rather wonder if we as a society do need radical transformation as far as operating motorised vehicles is concerned.

Four lives shredded, many more scarred, dozens more to dread the road now..

Guess its high time to be hugely strict on driving licences, safety awareness and penalties for offenders.

We owe this the least, for our future generations.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th September 2014 at 14:08.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:01   #16251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the unidentified vehicle collided with the truck, three people who were waiting by its side were killed on the spot. Another passenger was also seriously injured and was rushed to Mahatma Gandhi Mission Hospital in Kamothe, but succumbed to his injuries on the same day
One should be as far away from the road as possible. These lives could've been saved had they been a little away from the road.
Old 16th September 2014, 23:16   #16252
Senior - BHPian

Received these images on my whatsapp group, happened somewhere near Bhopal/Indore.Jaguar belongs to a Doctor.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140915wa0021.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140915wa0023.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140915wa0022.jpg  

Old 17th September 2014, 08:38   #16253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post

Four lives shredded, many more scarred, dozens more to dread the road now..

Guess its high time to be hugely strict on driving licences, safety awareness and penalties for offenders.

We owe this the least, for our future generations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
One should be as far away from the road as possible. These lives could've been saved had they been a little away from the road.
Have you seen the way vehicles are parked at the toilets just after the Khalapur toll plaza towards Mumbai? People looking to hitch a ride nearly beg to be driven over them, hogging the road and not realizing it's an expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Received these images on my whatsapp group, happened somewhere near Bhopal/Indore.Jaguar belongs to a Doctor.
Can a Jaguar be made to look like this by a bus? What speeds was it doing?
Sorry to be blunt, but airbags and ABS still can't save you if hou are reckless.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:15   #16254
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Can a Jaguar be made to look like this by a bus? What speeds was it doing?
Sorry to be blunt, but airbags and ABS still can't save you if hou are reckless.
The Jaguar might have surely bore the brunt. However, it saved the doctor couple traveling in it. Kudos to the Jaguar build quality and safety features!!

More details in this news article:
http://naidunia.jagran.com/madhya-pr...injured-184007

One can imagine the severity of the crash by the fact that eight passengers of the bus were also hurt.

The reckless doctor survived to tell the tale. Hope he learnt his lessons too.

Last edited by Gotham_City : 17th September 2014 at 10:40.
Gotham_City is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 11:14   #16255
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you. I am sure that there is an 'entry ticket' for these people to access the expressway as all this is happening right under the nose of the expressway office/ safety patrol stationed at the toll plaza barely a few dozen metres away.

Quote:
Have you seen the way vehicles are parked at the toilets just after the Khalapur toll plaza towards Mumbai? People looking to hitch a ride nearly beg to be driven over them, hogging the road and not realizing it's an expressway.

Can a Jaguar be made to look like this by a bus?
The Jag seems to have gone under the bus and collided with the wheel thereby destroying the front axle. The chassis of the bus in turn seems to have shaved off the bonnet and impacted the A pillar. Must say the fact that the doctor survived with only leg fractures and his wife with minor injuries is a testament to the rigidity of Aluminium and validates JLR's belief in this metal being a true alternate to the heavier high strength steel.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:42   #16256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can a Jaguar be made to look like this by a bus?
Conversely, seeing these pictures makes me want to buy a Jag.

Its almost unbelievable to see the clear difference between the shredded engine bay, and a reasonably intact passenger cell. Awesome engineering.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 16:15   #16257
BHPian

I have seen an accident in the morning today around 9.10 AM near Huskur Gate Signal towards Hosur road. A red Zen Estilo was sandwiched between a tanker lorry and Seabird Travel's Volvo. Front and rear of the car are damaged heavily and the Volvo bus' front windshield was broken. As I was driving (on the service road), could not take any pictures.

Does anyone have more details?

Thanks,

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2014 at 14:42. Reason: Typos
rnidumolu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2014, 12:01   #16258
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, That is also what I meant to say.
Apart from heavily discussed points about people actually driving , such wannabe Darwin awardees( including jaywalkers) should also also be penalised heavily.

To my belief, a stinging pinch to the pocket should be an enough deterrent.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2014 at 12:29. Reason: Quote fixed
Old 18th September 2014, 17:56   #16259
BHPian

Quote:
This one is really scary
Kudos to Jaguar build quality. It has rammed underneath the bus breaking its axle, but still the front passengers saved. I am unable to believe they walked out alive after looking at the pictures.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:10   #16260
BHPian

This is a personal experience in my beloved scorpio about 2 weeks back. Heavy torrential rains and winds were harrasing my neighbourhood and I was on my way back home from cochin when a branch broke and fell on to my vehicle. I was almost doing 80kmph due to the vaccant roads and to be frank never expected this type of an accident. The photos were taken for insurance purposes. And these type of freak accidents remind me why a scoprio is always safer
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140827wa0009.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140827wa0000.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140827wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140827wa0001.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140827wa0007.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks