Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 00:52   #1621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Just clicked these pix between Chennai & Rajamudary, it looked a little absurd that this Indica went so deep into farmland (about 100m I guess).

It would have been hilarious, had it not been so tragic !!!
I saw a similar Palio (if not the same) on the same stretch in August 2007. Is it possible that the car has been there for so many months
Old 12th February 2009, 00:54   #1622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A lot of injuries happen after the accident. People forget how heavy they actually are and the meaning of gravity. So what should you do?

First (assuming you are held by the belt), stretch your legs to the floor (now roof) and stretch your hands to the roof, now the floor. Make your your limbs are holding you in place. Lock one arm and use the other to release belt. move your hand to support your body ASAP. You will feel the wieght transfer to your arms.

Using your arms slowly lever yourself down. Make sure one person does it at a time
When I had an accident in my Palio in 2004 I was in a similar situation i.e turned upside down dangling. But I just cannot remember how I got out after opening the seatbelt and not injuring myself. Must have done a similar thing as you have mentioned.
Old 12th February 2009, 01:41   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A lot of injuries happen after the accident. People forget how heavy they actually are and the meaning of gravity. So what should you do?

First (assuming you are held by the belt), stretch your legs to the floor (now roof) and stretch your hands to the roof, now the floor. Make your your limbs are holding you in place. Lock one arm and use the other to release belt. move your hand to support your body ASAP. You will feel the wieght transfer to your arms.

Using your arms slowly lever yourself down. Make sure one person does it at a time
Thats right, Ajit. I mentioned 'minor damage', given that the people suspended from the seats have some assistance in getting out of it. The injury from the seatbelts itself would be minimal ( not accounting any other factors, like items in the car that would fly around in the event of a crash).
Reminds me of an article I read in Reader's Digest a long time ago.A guy was in a terrible crash,going airborne after doing 120mph and rolling over 10-15 times.The car was squished like a bug, but the guy was safe. And in the urgency to get out, the guy unbuckled himself,and fell on his head.A sprained neck, and a sore jaw was the result.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:35   #1624
BHPian

@ Post 1618

The truck running on the divider is common in Delhi, I have seen it before.
The tyre marks always indicate that they were on the divider for about a kilometer.

So this indicates that they are driving drunk.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:48   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the scorpio tipping over the divider- To add to TSK, all you need to achieve that feat is drive your SUV close to the divider and taking your concentration off for 1 sec or so to answer a mobile or look the other way
Even at 40kmph, once the SUV starts rubbing the divider you are soon thrown the opp side as the vehicle will loose its CG. So, please be careful when are are driving close to medians!!
Old 12th February 2009, 10:50   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
@ Post 1618

The truck running on the divider is common in Delhi
You are quite right, you get to see such drunken driving by truckers often in Delhi. But this was my first time seeing an 18-wheeler rig doing this. I always thought the guys driving these gigantic vehicles were more responsible and alert than the 6-wheeled truck drivers, but my opinion stands changed.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:42   #1627
BHPian

Trailer on verge

The "trailer on verge" accident happened in stages. First the trailer went out of control and hit the verge, resulting in the front tyres being astride on the either side of the verge. Then the trailer was supposedly being jacked up to get it back on the road when another loaded truck hit from behind/side and the rest of the trailer's axels also ended up being on the verge with wheels on either side of the verge.
Old 13th February 2009, 05:35   #1628

Here's an accident from Besant Nagar in Chennai. Right after the Theosophical Society. This is my car that caught on fire due to an engine fault probably, there's no way of knowing since it's so badly burned. If you can name what car this is I'll be thoroughly impressed. The Police Commissioner thought it was an Accent upon first arriving.

-DT
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-gview.png  

Attached Images

Old 13th February 2009, 06:08   #1629
BHPian

What car is it?? front bonet looks like a mondeo to me, i may be wrong.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:32   #1630
BHPian

is it a ford ikon that caught fire?
Old 13th February 2009, 07:59   #1631
Team-BHP Support

Oh my god. I have never seen such a badly burnt Ford Fiesta.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:11   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTripperGH View Post
If you can name what car this is I'll be thoroughly impressed.
-DT
I'll Take the "Ford Ikon" side!
Old 13th February 2009, 09:18   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Daytripper, thats an awful car burning incident. Hope you had full insurance cover?
Old 13th February 2009, 09:21   #1634
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing this car a few minutes after this happened. And had actually posted the same on this thread. There were too many cops/fire fighters around to stop and take pics that day.

So did you file a case against Ford India ? Or was your car modded ?
Old 13th February 2009, 09:46   #1635
BHPian

This was in today's TOI. DCP's car collided head on with an IKON.

Quote:
New Delhi: DCP Central, Jaspal Singh, was injured in a minor road accident on Thursday morning when his official car collided head-on with a Ford Ikon on Talkatora Marg. Two other cars also rammed into the pile-up but fortunately, no one was seriously injured.
The accident took place around 9am during the morning rush hour. The DCP’s car was headed towards RML Hospital roundabout while the Ikon was going in the opposite carriageway towards Parliament House. The cars collided headon and the front right sides of both vehicles were damaged. Two other cars, a Maruti Swift and a Wagon R, also hit into them from the rear. The DCP’s driver Rajinder was injured and has reportedly fractured his arm and leg. Singh also hurt his left shoulder. The injured were taken to RML hospital, from where Singh was shifted to a private hospital after getting first-aid. The others also suffered minor injuries.
According to the police, the road does not have a central verge and is highly prone to such collisions. ‘‘Head-on accidents happen on this stretch quite often as vehicles tend to drive at a speed and enter the opposite carriageway to overtake,’’ said an official.
A case of rash and negligent driving has been registered at Parliament Street Police station against the driver of the Ikon car. Manoj Bhardwaj, who was driving the Ikon, works for international clothing brand GAP. Bhardwaj told TOI: ‘‘It was actually the driver of the police car who jumped his lane to overtake. He came before me and our cars crashed into one another.’’ All the vehicles involved in the accident have been impounded by the police.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.dll.jpg  

Last edited by -GS- : 13th February 2009 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks