Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 08:30   #16741

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No.

Simply tighter and more instant fines.

People dont drive nicely in california because its fun to do, but because if you break the law, things get ugly and expensive really quick.
The way I see it, enforcing traffic rules/laws in India is difficult because of the wide range/category of people/vehicles using the road/highways. A driver in India faces much more "challenges" on the road.

While you make a valid point with respect to the US ( ), one also has to take into account the fact that here they provide you with necessary infrastructure and facilities before enforcing the law.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:14   #16742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Elsewhere in the world, a roundabout is considered an upgrade from a signaled intersection. Here in India, things regress. Pity, really.
Exactly! You should see the way everyone rushes to take that extra mm of road space and end up with long jams . I have had buses touch my LHS window glass while trying to cross this stretch .

There is one more roundabout towards Udipi about 1.5 kms from this place . You see a slightly lesser chaos over there as these private buses dont need to take that roundabout
Old 27th November 2014, 12:03   #16743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Elsewhere in the world, a roundabout is considered an upgrade from a signaled intersection. Here in India, things regress. Pity, really.
Not in case of heavy traffic. Roundabout is a good sollution for medium to light traffic situation and it needs to be converted to traffic light junction if traffic gets heavy. Next steps are fly overs and then grade separators. (People must be trying to figure out next step solution though as cars are multiplying faster than us humans)

Also, 'GIVE WAY TO THE VEHICLE ON YOUR RIGHT' is a rare sign and even rarer are its followers which leads to all the mess on these roundabouts.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 13:36   #16744
Distinguished - BHPian

If people do not know and obey the roundabout rule, which is to give way to traffic coming from the right (ie, when joining, you give way to traffic already on the roundabout) then they are worse than a simple crossroads and can be nothing but a gridlock at busy times and a death trap at quieter times.

Perhaps there should be a roundabout thread?
Old 27th November 2014, 19:17   #16745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintu View Post
The way I see it, enforcing traffic rules/laws in India is difficult because of the wide range/category of people/vehicles using the road/highways. A driver in India faces much more "challenges" on the road.

While you make a valid point with respect to the US ( ), one also has to take into account the fact that here they provide you with necessary infrastructure and facilities before enforcing the law.
Sorry - people's lives don't become cheap because the government made bad infra. Bad behavior on road -> more deaths sooner or later.

Whats happening here is that even on expressways, folks drive like maniacs because of zero enforcement. Its just rampant bad behavior everywhere unless cops act.

e.g Chennai cops on cars (not bikes/MTC buses). They keep things in control.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 11:27   #16746
BHPian

While I was driving down to work today on the newly laid ORR, saw this car sitting duck. Looks like he had sped, flew for a short distance and sat in this slush no wonder just like a duck

Though the road authorities have put up a 100Km speed barrier on ORR, I trust doing a 80 would be much safer owing to the numerous nosey parkers out there on this road...
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20141201_085342965.jpg  

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 1st December 2014 at 11:29.
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:04   #16747
BHPian

Chennai folks: Did anybody notice a burnt silver-colored Liva today morning near Velachery signal - i.e., opposite to Sutherland/A2B ?

Surprisingly, it was burnt only in the rear side - the rear tyres were totally burnt and also the boot side. From outside, it looked like the rear seats also bore the brunt. However, the front portion of the car was intact.

When I saw it, it was around 12noon and it was getting loaded into a flat-bed truck. Had asked my friend to click the photos - will upload soon.
Old 1st December 2014, 19:45   #16748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Chennai folks: Did anybody notice a burnt silver-colored Liva today morning near Velachery signal - i.e., opposite to Sutherland/A2B ?

Surprisingly, it was burnt only in the rear side - the rear tyres were totally burnt and also the boot side. From outside, it looked like the rear seats also bore the brunt. However, the front portion of the car was intact.

When I saw it, it was around 12noon and it was getting loaded into a flat-bed truck. Had asked my friend to click the photos - will upload soon.
Well, I passed that spot at around 11am and had noticed another incident.
I was yet to fully get down the overbridge towards vijayanagar, and far off in the front I saw some people gathering,(this might be opp to grand mall approximately) seems a bike had some hit (either rear ended a car, there was a black honda city near, or something else had happened), saw folks getting near to a 14-15oldish boy who was riding as pillion, was lying on the road on his back, seemed unconscious, and they were taking him to give the care. Not sure what followed.
Even before noticing this incident, I saw in the overbridge there were something new: 3-4 chicanes put in orderly zig zag manner to bring down the vehicles' speed coming down the bridge!, and those which were kept in the median since the last several weeks to prevent people crossing the road ON the bridge, were ALL missing.

Last edited by ThePunter : 1st December 2014 at 19:46. Reason: add info
Old 1st December 2014, 23:32   #16749
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when people with pea brains are put in charge of managing traffic. Who in their right mind would put up barricades like a slalom course on the downward slope of a flyover. Seriously someone needs to file a PIL against these barricades. The cops just put them up as and where they feel like without any scientific analysis.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:23   #16750
BHPian

Saw one skoda rapid in a very bad shape next to ramamurthy nagar underpass today morning, and also a tipper truck next to it. The car can be distinguished only from the back. Anybody have more info ? Looked really horrible !!
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:43   #16751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Even before noticing this incident, I saw in the overbridge there were something new: 3-4 chicanes put in orderly zig zag manner to bring down the vehicles' speed coming down the bridge!, and those which were kept in the median since the last several weeks to prevent people crossing the road ON the bridge, were ALL missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This is what happens when people with pea brains are put in charge of managing traffic. Who in their right mind would put up barricades like a slalom course on the downward slope of a flyover. Seriously someone needs to file a PIL against these barricades. The cops just put them up as and where they feel like without any scientific analysis.
Utter stupidity. I saw an alto just missed hitting them as he was behind a Tata Ace and didnt see the barriers. We both were behind the Tata Ace and since i was driving a higher stance vehicle, i didnt attempt to overtake him but poor alto didnt spot it.
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:00   #16752
BHPian

Wanted to share the Top Gear video

Guess as a 2 wheeler rider we are always exposed to the risk of skidding. But, if it happens while overtaking, it multiplies the risk multi-fold.

We got to build this risk (possibility of skid) in our riding style. Not worth to bid our lives to save a few seconds
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:25   #16753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Wanted to share the Top Gear video. Guess as a 2 wheeler rider we are always exposed to the risk of skidding. But, if it happens while overtaking, it multiplies the risk multi-fold. We got to build this risk (possibility of skid) in our riding style. Not worth to bid our lives to save a few seconds
God must have been watching out for this guy as he has literally gotten away unscathed from this horrible skid with his head almost bouncing off the wheels of a fast moving truck.

I noted how the helmet (or was it a cap) flew off his head at the moment of impact. I guess he must be wearing one of the "jugaad" helmets just be on the right side of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP.

Note from Support - Please remove the video link while quoting posts that contain video's as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd December 2014 at 10:16.
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:48   #16754
BHPian

A video depicting the menace we face on our city roads on a daily basis. I can clearly relate to each and every incident shown here. No offense to riders but not all are sensible.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=725331774248925

Note: Mods, please remove if this is not the right place for this post.

Last edited by gurudutt : 3rd December 2014 at 10:49.
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:27   #16755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
A video depicting the menace we face on our city roads on a daily basis. .
This doesn't appear to be India,probably Pakistan.
But totally accurate

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks