Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:18   #16756
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
I see many people who save ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers but use pattern/number lock which defeats the whole purpose of ICE.
Android phones allow you to dial ICE numbers even when the phone is pattern/number locked. Have not seen this option in iPhones.

Click on "Emergency Call" at the bottom of the locked screen, which opens up the "Emergency dialler". From the dialler, click the Icon (person's head + beacon lamp) at bottom-left.
This takes you to the list of stored ICE numbers, which you can then dial. All without unlocking the phone.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd December 2014 at 14:45.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:06   #16757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Android phones allow you to dial ICE numbers even when the phone is pattern/number locked. Have not seen this option in iPhones.

Click on "Emergency Call" at the bottom of the locked screen, which opens up the "Emergency dialler". From the dialler, click the Icon (person's head + beacon lamp) at bottom-left.
This takes you to the list of stored ICE numbers, which you can then dial. All without unlocking the phone.
Sorry, if I sound dumb, where do we define the Emergency numbers in an Android phone? I'm on Lollipop (stock Android UI) and did not quite find any Icon on the bottom left when I activated the dialler from through the "Emergency Call" option on the Lock Screen (I had set a pattern lock).

My guess is, it's specific to certain UIs, and not common/offered in the stock Android UI.

A viable option to have a couple of Emergency numbers visible would be to have them saved in the Owner Info field in Security settings. A good samaritan can use his/her phone to dial the emergency number.

To stay on topic, an acquaintance met with an accident on the ECR on saturday. They were a group of friends on a trip to Pondy from Chennai, in a Swift. The RHS front tyre burst and the car hit an oncoming vehicle. My acquaintance, who has the preposterous habbit of not wearing seat belts, fortunately was buckled up in the driver seat, and walked out with a few minor scrapes. The guy sitting in the passenger seat wasn't wearing the seat belt and got some bruises - luckily nothing serious. I do not have more details, but got to know that they settled the legal matters by compensating the other vehicle (don't know what that was) owner, and also by pulling a few strings.

I know this has been repeated time and again, please wear your seat belts - they save lives. And if anything else is to be learnt from this, yes, check the air pressure and condition of the tyres before any trip.
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:33   #16758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

A viable option to have a couple of Emergency numbers visible would be to have them saved in the Owner Info field in Security settings. A good samaritan can use his/her phone to dial the emergency number.
This is actually a good option and I had set it on my phone after following a post few pages back, I typed out the ICE # in the option for 'Owners info'.
Steps to do that in the Android Lollipop:
-Settings
-Security
-Owners Info and type out the ICE #.

So when the phone is locked and the power button pressed, this will show on the screen.
Attached Images

Last edited by tharian : 3rd December 2014 at 17:42.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:10   #16759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
where do we define the Emergency numbers in an Android phone? I'm on Lollipop (stock Android UI) and did not quite find any Icon on the bottom left when I activated the dialler from through the "Emergency Call" option on the Lock Screen
Possibly different across different flavours of Android, but in my Samsung-S3 running Android v4.3, process to add Emergency (ICE) numbers is :

- Click "Contacts" -> Select "Groups" tab -> Select "ICE - emergency contacts"
It will list already defined ICE contacts (if any). Use the '+' icon to create / select ICE contacts.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 22:36   #16760
BHPian

Saw this Honda City on Bannerghatta Road today. Its a head on collision with something at a good speedAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417799701.814345.jpg but seems crumple zones have absorbed the impact pretty well.
Old 5th December 2014, 22:57   #16761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
Saw this Honda City on Bannerghatta Road today. Its a head on collision with something at a good speed
but seems crumple zones have absorbed the impact pretty well.
But where are the airbags? I dont think its an impact light enough to not trigger them
Old 6th December 2014, 11:00   #16762
Senior - BHPian

may not have had them i guess?
Old 6th December 2014, 11:07   #16763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
may not have had them i guess?
From the best of my knowledge, ABS and airbags were standard on all variants of the city. Thats why the doubt arose. Even the stripped down corporate edition had them standard.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 11:42   #16764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
From the best of my knowledge, ABS and airbags were standard on all variants of the city. Thats why the doubt arose. Even the stripped down corporate edition had them standard.
Was it the same case right from 2008 or from 2011 when the did the facelift and added the stripped down corporate edition? Did the earlier E variant come with dual airbags?

That said, the car in question seems to be a post 2011 model, going by the chrome grill and turn indicator on ORVM. It should have been equipped with airbags but probably the impact was in the middle and not so much at the edges where the sensors are fitted.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:56   #16765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Did the earlier E variant come with dual airbags?
Yep! Looks like all the variants did. Never knew that before!

Dug up the brochure. Here's the link - http://hondacarindia.com/download/City-Brochure.pdf

PS: Weighs in at 15 MB!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 13:34   #16766
Distinguished - BHPian

Would you see airbags in that photo? They deflate immediately, and would be hanging down.

Don't know, just asking/suggesting.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 10:22   #16767
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw that the news grandson of NTR passed away yesterday evening in a tragic accident. The Safari he was travelling in hit another vehicle head-on during overtaking and the victim died of head injuries. A young man that he was, obviously died due to not wearing seat belt. While I pray that his soul rests in peace and his family who are in a way known to us, gain strength to cope up with the loss, isn't it time the politicians themselves realised how important these features are? We do not need to be forced to wear seatbelts by the law. At least learning from these lessons, I would like to see some leaders emphasizing on safety features and recommending people to use them. It will come a long way if they do so since at least their fans would realise the need and importance. Of people themselves aren't willing to do this, no strict or revised rules will help as they will find ways to cut corners.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 10:58   #16768
BHPian

Quote:
. At least learning from these lessons, I would like to see some leaders emphasizing on safety features and recommending people to use them. It will come a long way if they do so since at least their fans would realise the need and importance. Of people themselves aren't willing to do this, no strict or revised rules will help as they will find ways to cut corners.
Indeed a sad news and sorry state of affair on our roads. From FB posts I read that a tractor was driving in wrong direction and in fast lane.

Theses type of incidents have and will continue happening. There is no right education provided to people; they are not aware of the consequences of driving in wrong direction. Even if they are, for them, they need to save fuel.

Yesterday afternoon itself I noticed an XUV driven in wrong direction opp Skoda showroom on palace road. Here I am taking about so called "educated" person.

Seat belts - its for traffic cops; that's how Indian public think. In this case, he being influential person, why would he even care about seat belts. Even if cops catch, they will not fine him. So he has easy escape of not wearing seat belts. I do not know this person, it could be wrong on me to assume things. However since he was not wearing, I can easily build up my perception.

Regarding his fans learning for the incident, com'on its too much to expect from them.

We have a long long way to go in order to have disciplined and sensible drivers!

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 7th December 2014 at 11:01.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:44   #16769
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with what you say except

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

Regarding his fans learning for the incident, com'on its too much to expect from them.

We have a long long way to go in order to have disciplined and sensible drivers!
I guess you misunderstood my idea. Of course they wont learn by this incident. However I was talking about the fraternity in general. Also, since the family of this actor are involved in politics, they could campaign on such issues. That's a gesture that will prove highly beneficial

I believe that a celebrity, especially in the entertainment domain has a lot of fan following who're ready to do crazy things just for their favourite actor. This especially holds good in the cinema industry. Hence, if those celebrities educate people about such issues, I guess it will go a long way in developing awareness in people. Though this is off-topic, I have seen some actors taking selfies inside cars but with their seat belts on whereas I have also seen in a few movies actors riding without a helmet. This is where the difference lies. When producers make a two hour movie to make a load of money out of it, cant they include a five additional seconds to emphasise on such things?

Last edited by audioholic : 7th December 2014 at 11:46.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:10   #16770
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with what you say except

I guess you misunderstood my idea. Of course they wont learn by this incident. However I was talking about the fraternity in general. Also, since the family of this actor are involved in politics, they could campaign on such issues. That's a gesture that will prove highly beneficial

I believe that a celebrity, especially in the entertainment domain has a lot of fan following who're ready to do crazy things just for their favourite actor. This especially holds good in the cinema industry. Hence, if those celebrities educate people about such issues, I guess it will go a long way in developing awareness in people. Though this is off-topic, I have seen some actors taking selfies inside cars but with their seat belts on whereas I have also seen in a few movies actors riding without a helmet. This is where the difference lies. When producers make a two hour movie to make a load of money out of it, cant they include a five additional seconds to emphasise on such things?
Did anything happen after Union Minister, Gopinath Munde's death ? Things have almost been the same. On day-to-day basis people drive without seat belt and they pretend only infront of cops.

I have seen fans following all crazy things their idol does, except for good things. With all business and glamor in mind, why would a director risk his movie in showing safety things.

Even with programs like Satyamev Jayate with Amir hosting it, I really doubt it had even 0.1% impact on public.

We Indians have a mentality that, this thing will not happen to me. We need to first come of it!

Read this post on FB.. All most 99% of the people in our country are obsessed with screen guards on their smartphones even though most come with scratch proof Gorilla Glass, but never bother wearing a helmet or seat belt while riding or driving.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 7th December 2014 at 12:14.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks