Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 13:21   #1666
BHPian

Another ford went up in flames - 2007

@DaytripperGH

This is really strange. I know of another Ford IKON 1.6 which went up in flames in 2007. It was a friends car. No apparent reason, it just started caught fire inside the bonnet. The car was 70% burnt by the time I reached, and I reached in 10 mins.

I guess some other members might have noticed this incident. It was at the Kanpura road junction after crossing over from JP Nagar. There was no valid reason found, the full insurance was claimed as total loss. I will try and get pictures, my friend is a Ametuer photgrapher and he was actually returning from bandipur.
Old 18th February 2009, 07:51   #1667
Team-BHP Support

Tragic accident in Kolkata - 3 persons died in a Swift. Two of them were my friends
The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Drive to death after night out
Old 18th February 2009, 08:32   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Tragic accident in Kolkata - 3 persons died in a Swift. Two of them were my friends
BlackPearl, may God give you strength in your grief.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:34   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Drive to death after night out
Quite a detailed report.
The Swift looks all messed up - must have been a high speed and heavy vehicle incident.
Was alcohol involved?
Whatever the case - the report is quite tragic to read and the family and friends must be feeling terrible.
God grant them peace in this terrible times.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:41   #1670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Quite a detailed report.
The Swift looks all messed up - must have been a high speed and heavy vehicle incident.
Was alcohol involved?
Whatever the case - the report is quite tragic to read and the family and friends must be feeling terrible.
God grant them peace in this terrible times.
It is very difficult say what exactly happened as no one survived. As per the police report a heavy vehicle was involved. But I do not think we will ever come to know the exact cause of such a tragic accident. Whatever the cause they were my friends and I simply cannot believe that I will not see them anymore.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:29   #1671
BHPian

Saw a 12 wheeler sitting bang in the middle of the Eastern Express highway this morning. The trailer was almost at a 90 Degress angle to the median with half its lenght on the either side of it. Had absolutely no clue how it happened.
Sorry no pics. My damn camera phone .
Old 18th February 2009, 11:11   #1672
Senior - BHPian

The swift in the link posted by blackperal looks like it was a very high speed crash. The article also mentions that the guy zoomed off. These are the dangers of high speed and to me that car looks like more than a heavy vehicle hit.
If its a heavy vehicle hit then I am quite surprised how they met with collision. Very unfortunate incident as all the three lives are lost.

I think there can be some drunken driving here, though its just a possibility. High speed in city in night = NO.

I have observed that in city after 11 pm, mostly all heavy vehicles are driven rashly. This along with high speed can lead to bad outcome.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:26   #1673
Senior - BHPian

may their soul rest in peace :( they loved driving and they loved their cars. i knew Gairik through kolkata car rally group @ o_rkut.

Guys please drive safe and please donot drink and drive.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:12   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The local papers say that they swerved to avoid another vehicle and ended up rear ending the truck in the process.
All the local paers report the same and even the photographs are similar. But there is hardly any visible damage in the front or the bonnet area.

The car cannot have hit the lorry on the back or gone under it. It must have skidded on to the rear of the lorry!

Nobody really bothers to investigate these things.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:12   #1675

The Swift accident is indeed a tragic one.
However I do believe a minor influence of alcohol could have perhaps played a part in the entire thing.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:11   #1676
Senior - BHPian

i10 crash on Mahalingapuram road yesterday night !!

Yesterday (19-Feb-09) around 9:30PM I am returning home from work. I reach halfway up the new Usman Road flyover when I see that cars are just stopped on the flyover. This is unusual for that time of the day, but decide to wait in line because it is a narrow flyover with only 1 lane on each side. Ofcourse all bikers ride along on the wrong side of the road, which can be excused because in case of a blockup, it is easy to move the 2-wheelers.

But some smart-alecks in cars also follow the bikes and end up creating a bigger traffic jam that was already formed at the other end of the flyover.
Finally after 15 minutes of traffic moving slowly, I cross the flyover and see that the usual 2-way road towards Loyola college has been made a temporary 1-way, till the Brownstone Apartments.

Reason was an i10 that was crashed on the other lane due to which the lane was blocked. Looked like it happened max. an hour ago. The i10 was facing the wrong side for the lane it was on.

Since already traffic was getting blocked, I did not want to stop the car to know how the car crashed and so moved on.

Anyone knows how the crash happened ? Did the car jump over the median to the other side ? From how the i10 was parked, that was how it looked. Or maybe he spun around in his own lane to end up facing traffic coming behind him.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:39   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yesterday (19-Feb-09) around 9:30PM
Yesterday was 18th

That turn around the brownstone apartment is to die for. maybe the i10 thought itself to be a ferrari & took it in 80 kmph.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 19th February 2009 at 17:44.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:41   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Oops, yes you are right. It was on 18th.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:55   #1679
Senior - BHPian

That curve in front of the Brownstone apartment is very dangerous and tempting too !

Barricades are kept on both sides of the road to slow down the vehicles approaching the corner. Still, there are some exceptions!
Old 19th February 2009, 23:19   #1680
Team-BHP Support

This is another report on th epeople who died in the accident in Kolkata -

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Wheels of life, death

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks