Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 13:10   #16996
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
This is the same kind of scenario here in Hyderabad where people can put up speed breakers in front of their homes at free will. All you need is concrete and bad engineering brains coupled with horrible common sense and you have a ugly looking speed breaker overnight. It is kind of plausible since Hyderabad is famous for two wheeled hooligans found in plenty all across the city. I have always blamed my service guys when the front suspension of my previous car used to make all sorts of weird noises but now if the same issue pops up in my new one then I now know who to blame.
Trust me, living between Bangalore and Hyderabad, has made me stop complaining about the situation in Hyd completely Banglore's speed-breakers have damaged my cars, eaten my mind and left me with no soul
Old 18th January 2015, 13:19   #16997
BHPian

A junior from my schooltime and his father passed away in a car accident few days back.
They were travelling from Bhopal - Sagar and at Vidisha, one of the tyres bursted and the car rolled multiple times and ultimately hit a tree as can be seen in the picture. The driver (my junior) died on the spot while his father had a heart attack after seeing his son.
May their souls rest in peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150115wa017.jpg  

Old 18th January 2015, 19:09   #16998
BHPian

RIP departed souls. It will be very hard for the family to come to terms with this.

From the pic, the car looks like zen estilo? Is it? I have one and it feels scary to take it beyond 90. Besides, it rides on tube type tyres.
Old 18th January 2015, 23:53   #16999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
RIP departed souls. It will be very hard for the family to come to terms with this.

From the pic, the car looks like zen estilo? Is it? I have one and it feels scary to take it beyond 90. Besides, it rides on tube type tyres.
The car involved was a Zen Estilo.
It is actually scary to cross 90km/hr in most parts of our country irrespective of the car we are driving.
It is always better to reach late than never.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 06:52   #17000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
This R15 was parked outside my mechanic's workshop which is adjacent to a police station. According to a policeman standing there, the bike was owned by an 18 year old Afghan national who was studying in Pune.
Attachment 1328776

Attachment 1328777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
R15? A sports bike?. TOI is at its best again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
So, R15 is....?? No body said it is a Super Bike. And it doesn't mention the bike even. I think it is fair.
Sir, sorry for the confusion. Let me quote what TOI has to say.

Quote:
PUNE: A 19-year-old Afghan national riding a sports bike died on Wednesday after he lost control over his vehicle and hit a woman who was crossing the road. The accident took place around 8.40pm in Warje on the Pune Bangalore highway. Police has identified the deceased as Hamid Hakimi, who was currently residing at Nanded city on Sinhagad Road.

The injured, Parvati Kashinath Patil (45) of Warje, is undergoing treatment at a private hospital. Senior inspector Ganpat Pingle incharge of the Warje-Malwadi police station said Hakimi was heading towards Katraj via Chandani chowk when he lost control over the vehicle and hit Patil, who was crossing the road. The impact was such that Hakimi fell off the bike and died on the spot. He had sustained multiple injuries. Paravti escaped with minor injuries, Pingle added.

Old 19th January 2015, 09:02   #17001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
A junior from my schooltime and his father passed away in a car accident few days back.
They were travelling from Bhopal - Sagar and at Vidisha, one of the tyres bursted and the car rolled multiple times and ultimately hit a tree as can be seen in the picture. The driver (my junior) died on the spot while his father had a heart attack after seeing his son.
May their souls rest in peace.
Looks like tyre bursting is almost a fatal one. There are a number of reasons for this.
1. Driving on concrete surfaces
2. Over speeding
3. Tyre pressure.

Is there any solution to tackle this serious problem. Even if one is driving sedately at 80 kmph and if the front tyre bursts, controlling the vehicle will be difficult.
So what is the solution to counter this problem??
Old 19th January 2015, 09:17   #17002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Looks like tyre bursting is almost a fatal one. There are a number of reasons for this.
1. Driving on concrete surfaces
2. Over speeding
3. Tyre pressure.

Is there any solution to tackle this serious problem. Even if one is driving sedately at 80 kmph and if the front tyre bursts, controlling the vehicle will be difficult.
So what is the solution to counter this problem??
Go through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...t-blowout.html
Santoshbhat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 13:06   #17003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
In addition to vehicle self combustion, this one ranks a close second on my driving 'nightmare' list.
We are more or less in knowledge about the reasons of tyre bursts, a quick google / posts in t-bhp will help educate people not yet enlightened.

I feel that the only insurance against blow-outs is awareness while driving, taking diligent care of tyres, replacement before the 'due dates', opting for good quality tubeless tyres, and staying well within the performance 'envelope'.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:32   #17004
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Happened to a friend yesterday on the bangalore highway close to Sriperumbudur - riding a wagon R, a bus smashes into his car from behind, pushes it right into the back of another bus that was going in front, telescoping the front.

Remarkably, he and his wife survived without any injury. The wagon R is a safer car than I thought. Hm a crash test video does show the body intact though the nose crumples.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 14:01   #17005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
In addition to vehicle self combustion, this one ranks a close second on my driving 'nightmare' list.
We are more or less in knowledge about the reasons of tyre bursts, a quick google / posts in t-bhp will help educate people not yet enlightened.

I feel that the only insurance against blow-outs is awareness while driving, taking diligent care of tyres, replacement before the 'due dates', opting for good quality tubeless tyres, and staying well within the performance 'envelope'.
Not just our own cars but we need to be careful even when we hire taxis and MUVs etc.. Just the other day I was telling my dad to inspect the tyres of the car that he is hiring for outstation trips and ensure that they are properly inflated. Taxi owners are notorious when it comes to tyres. They are not averse to buying second hand tyres, discarded tyres, wobbly tyres, bald tyres etc... Some of them even run with the steel ply on the tyres exposed

Tyres are one thing the general public is very complacent about. A lot of accidents reported in the last few pages have resulted out of tyre bursts. Really wish the Govt. makes TPMS mandatory in all cars. This would certainly be more meaningful than stuff like headlamp leveling devices.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 18:39   #17006
BHPian

A triumph Daytona 675R crashed near kollam in Kerala.

Rider was in proper safety gears and escaped without any serious injury.

Dont know much details.

Source: Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accdnt1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accdnt2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accdnt3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accdnt4.jpg  

blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 23:01   #17007
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

^^ looks like an overtaking maneuver gone wrong by the biker resulting in head on with the alto
Old 20th January 2015, 12:36   #17008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
^^ looks like an overtaking maneuver gone wrong by the biker resulting in head on with the alto
Why are you so quick to judge that the Biker was in the wrong.

Not pointing to you only but, this is by large the general public notion and bias that since it was a sports bike the rider must be a speed maniac and riding without a care.
Why cant it be a case of a nutcase car driver who made a wrong overtaking chance and colliding head on with the poor biker who was peacefully riding on his lane?
"Rider was in proper safety gears and escaped without any serious injury."
Cant this statement be taken as a positive on the riders part that he was a careful considerate bloke?
Until we get the actual details most of the people would automatically judge rich biker/ expensive car driver/ big SUV goon and so on.

Last edited by racer_m : 20th January 2015 at 12:38.
racer_m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:57   #17009
BHPian

This happened at a residential construction site where a biker got hit by the reckless truck driver.
According to the residents these truck drivers were often spotted driving carelessly in this area.
The rider is battling for his life.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150119wa007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150119wa006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150119wa005.jpg  

Old 20th January 2015, 14:09   #17010
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Why are you so quick to judge that the Biker was in the wrong.

Not pointing to you only but, this is by large the general public notion and bias that since it was a sports bike the rider must be a speed maniac and riding without a care.
Why cant it be a case of a nutcase car driver who made a wrong overtaking chance and colliding head on with the poor biker who was peacefully riding on his lane?
"Rider was in proper safety gears and escaped without any serious injury."
Cant this statement be taken as a positive on the riders part that he was a careful considerate bloke?
Until we get the actual details most of the people would automatically judge rich biker/ expensive car driver/ big SUV goon and so on.
if an overtaking car comes on to a bikers lane => the biker can easily move to the left extreme, even if unsuccessful, would result in the bike colliding with the right side of the car's front.
if a biker goes onto a car's lane => the car cannot easily move to his left as easily => could result in head-on right in the middle of the car's front.

- this was my thinking process, if I have offended you or any bikers, i am sorry - i dont ride a bike but i am NOT prejudiced against people who do.
venkyhere is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed