Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 13:53   #17026
BHPian

Re: Some pointers regarding emergency contacts in our mobile phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
  • Don't lock the mobile or the mobile main screen. To maintain privacy you can lock individual apps such as messages, gallery etc.
A similar thing happened to one of my friends. He was driving from Pune towards Satara in his WagonR and in one of the turns in Khambatki ghat he lost control and the car crashed into the hill side.

Now people helped him out but he had lost conciousness and his phone had one of those complex locks and so no one could contact any of his relatives or us friends. Fortunately one of our common friends was also driving along the same path some minutes behind and recognised the car number. So he called up the relatives.

This friend was also advised by the doctor (no less) to keep the default swipe lock and keep individual applications locked if privacy was desired.

I am also no fan of anything other than the default swipe lock and none of my phones have anything of that kind. If there is some very private data then I either protect it using applock or else I do not keep in the mobile at all
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:53   #17027
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Some pointers regarding emergency contacts in our mobile phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
This friend was also advised by the doctor (no less) to keep the default swipe lock and keep individual applications locked if privacy was desired.
I blame the phone OS vendors, and mobile data management (MDM) companies for this insanity.

If you an IT types you might sync your corporate account on your phone, because, you know, you like messing up your mood during your time off and vacations by receiving work email. In such cases, quite often the corporate email server enforces a variety of policies on the device, such as, but not limited to:
  • Mandatory device password/PIN of a minimum length, usually 6+ or 8+. No swipe/pattern passwords allowed.
  • Automatic screen lock after 'x' minutes.
  • Remote device wipe possible from the corporate server.
  • Pledging your left kidney and the life of your first-born to your company

OK, I kid, maybe not the last one.

Ideally, the OS vendor should have provided functionality to lock down only specific apps via MDM, and MDM vendors likewise need to use that functionality. So rather than enforcing MDM policies on the entire phone, it would be limited to just the email application, calendar, and other 'company applications'.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:32   #17028
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

For Folks with Windows Phone 8.xx,There is beautiful app which you can set as lockscreen with your photo, emergency contacts and other essential details like address, blood group etc.

http://www.windowscentral.com/stayin...indows-phone-8
navrddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:31   #17029
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I blame the phone OS vendors, and mobile data management (MDM) companies for this insanity.
I don't understand the point. I also have an android phone but I have an option of putting some text on the lock screen which anyone can see if they press the lock/unlock key. I have used it to list two ICE numbers. But I still use the swipe lock.

I don't think someone has to go through this hassle of changing locking mechanism to default lock or locking applications.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:24   #17030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't understand the point.
...because...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I also have an android phone

Windows Phone doesn't support ICE details on the lock screen natively, you need some third-party app.

Besides, my point wasn't just about capturing ICE information, it was around how enabling corporate email secures your entire phone, and not just the email app.

Although I check corporate email on my phone a handful times a day, I use my phone for personal reasons far more often. And all those times I need to go through a phone-level password that has been mandated by my corporate email.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:49   #17031
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the topic. We have other threads for Apps etc.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:30   #17032
BHPian

This happened on Tuesday night.
Two of my office junior's friends in Jabalpur were on a joy ride late in the night, just the two of on a bike. A dumper all off a sudden turned right and they banged into the dumper. Luckily none of them have any serious injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ah7zfmerrekquh28r90s1cpmhihsefzhdv7zfjkugc0.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aliorvrzzmnkeo9luhk05tavb25bc91u4ordkrr4soj.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aocganhg2uj97h0mfo_edenoczyab7xyirr6cwns_.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aqpba8uegu_ygnc_jmdjk7z64rdeyp7nwc2dyfnjojg.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-arzb5pxccjchp5limuscqlgfvcpualtdftcqvyogockh.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-asbmekxqnhyvqjix7dyr1fac_pnldikbbtx3dpoqoqbd.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aurrvkf_bjdvfo5cy_ckzejnbxolvdwwfkxwjng117_2.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2015, 20:06   #17033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
This happened on Tuesday night.
Two of my office junior's friends in Jabalpur were on a joy ride late in the night, just the two of on a bike. A dumper all off a sudden turned right and they banged into the dumper. Luckily none of them have any serious injuries.
OMG!

This much damage to the bike and debris lying around, those 2 were lucky to escape without serious injuries.
Old 22nd January 2015, 20:11   #17034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
OMG!

This much damage to the bike and debris lying around, those 2 were lucky to escape without serious injuries.
yes sir,in fact one of them could have the dead. The pillion rider was thrown off and there was another dumper coming from the other direction, the driver of the bike pulled him out the way.

After seeing the condition of the bike I could not believe they just escaped with a few bruises.
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:07   #17035
BHPian

Nevertheless this Nano checks the requirements of a Hot hatch, Quite literally.

Inferno on wheels: I was travelling back from office on Chennai bypass road where I spotted the charred remains of a Tata Nano . Cause is still unknown . Below are the pics . On looking at the burn marks on the road and that the car is intact in shape (didn't suffer a collision) guess its one among the list of nanos that mysteriously lighted up. and was later rolled over to clear the freeway. I hope no one died in this incident.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics as i took them using my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-semect2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-semect1.jpg  

Rev_That_V8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 11:56   #17036
BHPian

As usual the number of accidents during the year ending and start of new year increase manifold in the tiny state of Goa. This has been mainly attributed to the exponential rise in the number of vehicles on the road due to the tourist season of Christmas and later the New Year celebrations.

Apart from the minor accidents which usually go unreported, a few major have been in the news recently here.

A road roller with brake failure went down a slope in the town of Mapusa crushing 10 two wheelers and damaging a four wheeler. One lady also lost her life.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150119wa0015.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150119wa0020.jpg

In another reported accident, a i20 burst into flames near the Mandovi bridge (Near Panaji). Fortunately no injuries were reported.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150104wa0055.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150104wa0053.jpg

Another accident which resulted in the loss of four persons when a speeding Palio crushed into oncoming two wheelers and then landed into the river at the Panaji-Ribander Causeway. I think all the dead were riding on two separate two wheelers, fell into the river and were entangled into the net where they drowned
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150104wa0060.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150104wa0061.jpg
Old 27th January 2015, 14:13   #17037
BHPian

A day after a 43-year-old woman was killed after a private bus hit her two-wheeler in the heart of the city, it emerged that she was trying to avoid a small pit formed around a BWSSB valve near Johnson Market.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45973720.cms
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:30   #17038
BHPian

No pictures for the accident described here but it happened to my brother hence posting it here.

This happened about 2-3 weeks ago. My brother, sister-in-law, their friend, his wife and son (10 year old) decided to travel from Pune to Sangli. They were going to surprise a common friend on his birthday and other friends were also travelling from Kolhapur and Ratnagiri for the same.

This friend owns a Mercedes C Class and they set off in it at around 07.00PM from Pune.
Both - my brother and his friend have about 20-25 years of driving experience covering almost the entire length and breadth of India. My brother used to travel in the Mahindra Jeep given by the state government since he was at a senior position in the Irrigation department.

Having set off early, they halted at Shirval for tea/snacks and proceeded after some 20 minutes towards Sangli. They again halted at Satara for dinner. Then the mercedes glided at 110-120 kmph.

As they neared Peth naka, which is about 190 km from Pune, it was close to 11.30 and a heavy dinner of biryani made the friend who was driving, to become drowsy. The next second - BAM!! - they ploughed head first into stationary tractor trolleys positioned on the side of the road. Apparently this gentleman dozed off for a second or two and missed a slight turn and rammed straight into the parked trolleys.

At a speed of 120 kmph, head on collision, the engine was destroyed as was the axle of the trolley. Air bags deployed everywhere inside. The driver was the only one belted up. His wife was sitting next to him. My brother was behind the driver, sister in law in the middle and the kid behind his mother.

The only person to get injured was my sister-in-law with a broken wrist. My brother was also dozing and suffered small bruises on his legs. The other three suffered nothing else other than shock and some minor bruising. My brother attributes this wholly to the Mercedes build and deploying of the air bags.

All of them came out of the car, shaking - the doors opened normally. The car was a total loss. All the formalities followed - police panchnama, graft etc. The friend was at fault totally but fortunately no one was seriously hurt in the car and there was no one in the trolleys that were parked for the night.

My brother, while telling me this detailed account, repeatedly kept stating that had all of them buckled up, nothing would have happened at all.

So the take aways from this incident, according to me are - as has often been repeated on this forum - A. Stop when you are feeling drowsy and take rest. Proceed only when you are totally alert. B. Belt up.

My wife and I were listening to the account (my brother tells it with all sound effect and atmosphere creation) and wifey pledged afterwards to always belt up.

Last edited by luvDriving : 27th January 2015 at 16:31. Reason: grammar correction
luvDriving is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:41   #17039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the take aways from this incident, according to me are - as has often been repeated on this forum - A. Stop when you are feeling drowsy and take rest. Proceed only when you are totally alert. B. Belt up.
And,

C. Stick to the speed limits?

Quote:
At a speed of 120 kmph, head on collision
Your friend must be thanking his stars. All of them came out alive. There have been cases, when speed belts and airbags haven’t saved the lives at high speed impacts such as these.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:47   #17040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The next second - BAM!! - they ploughed head first into stationary tractor trolleys positioned on the side of the road.
An almost similar accident.

Yesterday around 7 PM on the Raichur-Mahboobnagar road.

Road under construction. So the crew building it simply left some iron girders with a red cloth as warning.

Two people on a motorcycle slammed into it. The bike fell down and one of them fell down face down. I reached the scene in about 10 mins after this crash. There was nothing to do. People had already called an ambulance and while the guy was in a lot of pain considering he had just lost his nose, everyone left him and his nephew.
I am assuming nephew because the guy with him (some 20 year old guy) kept screaming mama mama over and over again.

The victim must have been about 40 or so.

Most Viewed