Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 13:04   #17161
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

BENGALURU: A youth was killed and his colleague sustained serious injuries after their motorcycle hit the pavement in BTM II Stage, south Bengaluru, in the wee hours of Monday.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46180018.cms
Old 11th February 2015, 13:46   #17162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
Not sure whether you are talking about the Fluidic Verna accident on the road towards Hoodi junction.

No, this was a bike accident in ORR.
Old 11th February 2015, 14:35   #17163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
BENGALURU: A youth was killed and his colleague sustained serious injuries after their motorcycle hit the pavement in BTM II Stage, south Bengaluru, in the wee hours of Monday.
There is a turn near 5th cross on 29th Main road, and it is dangerous if you are not careful or doing 50+ speed. Helping accident victims/vehicles used to be a pretty regular activity for me till late 2013. It is dangerous for drunkards on two wheeler and cabbies especially late in the nights.

I used to stay close to this location, took victims on two wheelers to nearby hospitals few times and all were drunk.

Later it became a habit that, I check through my window whenever I hear a loud noise in the night, go and help cabbies/ two wheeler riders.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-btm.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th February 2015 at 14:43.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:05   #17164
BHPian

TRICHY: A motorcycle-borne AIADMK member was killed in a road accident after a car hit the bike from behind at Poolangulathupatti near Inamkulathur on Dindigul - Trichy National Highway on Tuesday. The accident also left the pillion rider of the vehicle injured.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46194762.cms
Old 11th February 2015, 15:09   #17165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
after a car hit the bike from behind
The usual media formula. Did the car hit the bike, or did the bike come suddenly in front of the car?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:27   #17166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Did the car hit the bike, or did the bike come suddenly in front of the car?
Very true. Just the other day, I had to stand on my brakes to save an idiot who dropped his helmet in the middle of the road and stopped instantly to retrieve it.
I was able to stop in time, else a similar headline would have been printed the next day.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:33   #17167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Very true. Just the other day, I had to stand on my brakes to save an idiot who dropped his helmet in the middle of the road and stopped instantly to retrieve it.
I was able to stop in time, else a similar headline would have been printed the next day.
And worse, they would have mentioned that you killed a rule-following-helmet-wearing-motoryclist and that his helmet flew off his head when you hit him.
naveenroy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 18:31   #17168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And worse, they would have mentioned that you killed a rule-following-helmet-wearing-motoryclist and that his helmet flew off his head when you hit him.
True that. I have been dealing with a moron motorcycle rider who t-boned my car on an intersection. This guy was riding solo on a learner's licence and my wife who was driving has been made the accused. Simple funda "badi gaadi ki galti hai"
Old 11th February 2015, 19:43   #17169
BHPian

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong here.

I see a lot of posts off-late giving the links of news-items from various e-newspapers/news-sites about accidents and a lot of discussion going over that.
I was (rather, I am) under the presumption that this thread is about the accidents we witness in our every day life. Might be, that's the reason this thread was named 'Accidents in India - PICS'. Some leeway can be taken up by posting about friends' or some known cases/experience.

Aren't we going going a bit too away from the actual topic?

P.S: Please please DO NOT start scrolling back into all the previous pages looking out posts that match with what I have put up here. This is a general-post and definitely not targeted at any individual.

Last edited by callvvijay : 11th February 2015 at 19:47.
callvvijay is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 22:18   #17170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Simple funda "badi gaadi ki galti hai"

A few weeks back, 2 underage kids on an Activa not wearing helmets slammed into the front right corner of my car at about 40-50 kph at an unsignalled T-point, even though traffic from their side had stopped to let mine and other cars through. After some talking etc, the boy calls up his 'lawyer' dad, who squarely blames me for the whole incident, and asks me to pay up for his smashed scooter , citing that it's my fault because I'm the one in the car!

If there was something like the World Stupidity Awards, this logic would deserve a special mention.
Old 12th February 2015, 11:04   #17171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

I see a lot of posts off-late giving the links of news-items from various e-newspapers/news-sites about accidents and a lot of discussion going over that.
I was (rather, I am) under the presumption that this thread is about the accidents we witness in our every day life. Might be, that's the reason this thread was named 'Accidents in India - PICS'. Some leeway can be taken up by posting about friends' or some known cases/experience.

P.S: Please please DO NOT start scrolling back into all the previous pages looking out posts that match with what I have put up here. This is a general-post and definitely not targeted at any individual.
What was the actual intent of this thread? Is it to share your experience on the accidents you have been part of? or the ones which you have witnessed? or the ones you just happened to pass by after it has occurred? or like you pointed out, to share news reports? Anyways, whatever might be the case, what is the take away?

I could speak about myself and this thread, to be honest, has educated me over the years about the situations we encounter on Indian roads each day, what leads to some of the accidents ranging from a minor abrasion to a potentially lethal one, what could probably have gone wrong, what can happen at insane speeds, how could you avoid being in some deadly situation and god forbid, if you happen to be in one and live to tell the tale, how do you educate others and seek help on legal issues and manage your damaged ride.

Now, IMHO, until i continue to get any or all of the above, i would not bother much about the source. We are hardly a few thousand people on this forum in a country of over a billion people and the subset of accidents we would actually be part of/witness to might be very less. Being a social network, we might end up posting news article and a fellow BHPian might have witnessed it but might not know until he/she read the news article. And, about the PICS part, there have been instances where BHPians have witnessed an accident but could not post a pic since he/she was not in a position to take one or the scene might have been gruesome for some of us.

Bottom line is, until we don’t deviate from the topic of the post (i might be doing it now), i think any info is good.

PS: I had seen a post (a news article) on an Andhra political family whose XUV went under a truck and it gave me a sense of how strong the vehicle in reality is and what kind of crashes can it survive. Also, if the news article already has pics, i feel there is not point in duplicating data by downloading those pics and uploading it on TBHP

Last edited by gurudutt : 12th February 2015 at 11:14.
gurudutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 12:04   #17172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Bottom line is, until we don’t deviate from the topic of the post (i might be doing it now), i think any info is good.
I agree to the logic here. The intention of this thread is to create awareness and avoid some sill mistakes (self & Others) so that we can avoid mishaps on the roads. And not only for bhpians only but for general public as well. I have read so many articles from the links here and have learnt a lot. So till the time, the topic is not deviated from, I think its good to provide as much experiences as possible. That's my point of view though.
Rabbit80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:20   #17173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Mate,

Idea behind posting news of accidents is to create awareness among st the users as to what preventive measures one has to take while driving. For this they quote accidents that appear in newspapers.
But all of us do not know what has happened where. For eg I am based in bangalore but i am not aware if any mishap has occurred in some other part of the country and what was the reason behind that.
So by going through what users have mentioned in their posts, it is an eye opener for the public.
So please do not think this thread is all about COPY AND PASTE from other sources.
We talk of LIVE TO DRIVE, I DRIVE SAFE etc.. All this is possible if we LIVE ANOTHER DAY by following safe driving habits.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:32   #17174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate,

Idea behind posting news of accidents is to create awareness among st the users as to what preventive measures one has to take while driving. For this they quote accidents that appear in newspapers.
But all of us do not know what has happened where. For eg I am based in bangalore but i am not aware if any mishap has occurred in some other part of the country and what was the reason behind that.
So by going through what users have mentioned in their posts, it is an eye opener for the public.
So please do not think this thread is all about COPY AND PASTE from other sources.
We talk of LIVE TO DRIVE, I DRIVE SAFE etc.. All this is possible if we LIVE ANOTHER DAY by following safe driving habits.
Friends, sorry to sound a bit philosphical..and in tune with arguments / counters posted above..here is one of the latest:
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/c...w/46205460.cms

My takes:
This accident has got nothing to do with me personally..but does it not touch a chord somewhere inside all of us?
Does not it reiterate the all to known reasons of driving carefully and remind the horrors of a slipup ( whatever the reason maybe)
Does it not help us remind again that automobiles can turn from facilities to weapons and result in situations that are horrifying beyond measure - all in split seconds?
Does it not help us reinforce ourself s on the responsibilities of being a driver?
repetitive it maybe , non connected it maybe ..but is it still utterly useless?
Dont think so.. if taken in the spirit of awareness, responsibility and above all..reminders of perils .. so that it does not manifest as our own experiences
Arun yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:59   #17175
BHPian

New Delhi: Three persons who were traveling in a Hyundai i10 have been injured after the pillar of a bridge collapsed in north Delhi and fell on the vehicle.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/3-inj...-lateststories

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks