Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 12:47   #17236
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy_Raj View Post
This is terrible..any idea how this happened.
Looks like the ford ecosport rear ended the truck from behind, most likely while overtaking it.

I am sure the passengers would have been buckled up and airbags saved them. Its so necessary to have airbags and being belted. Helps a lot!!!
Old 20th February 2015, 13:20   #17237
BHPian

By the way, talking about Ford cars and their safety, as far as I know, ford have always thought about the customer safety. They were the first car manufacturers to implement or should I say invent seat belts and also install Airbags in their cars at large scale (in 1971). And we know how safe these features are today!!!
Old 20th February 2015, 13:35   #17238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Attachment 1341646

Got this from my friend. It is one of the wheel of KSRTC Mercedes Benz Multi Axle Bus plying between hyderabad and bangalore. One of the Passengers heard sounds. Informed the Driver. But the Driver shrugged off and told it must be a flat tyre and continued to drive. After another co-passengers joined and argued, the driver stopped the bus and investigated. Even the crew did not have expertise in changing the wheel

But how can the tyre just melt to this extent. Even if it a flat tyre, the tyre just would rotate, since it is a multi axle bus. My theory is the wheel must got have jammed. It was plain stupidity of the Driver to drive the Bus even after the Passenger informed about the sound. Will try to get more info

Looks like this made to the front page of Bangalore Mirror! Thanks to gentleman the passengers are safe.

Alert techie fights arrogant bus staff, saves 40 lives

Quote:
Sreenivas Marwadi's near-death experience is making rounds on Facebook and it has more than 15,000 shares on the site. It was thanks to this 29-year-old engineer working with a city-based software firm that more than 40 lives were saved.

At 7 pm on February 10, Marwadi boarded a KSRTC bus (KA 57 F 217) — a Mercedes Benz Multi Axle - bound for Bengaluru from Hyderabad. After a brief stop at Jadcherla, at around 10.30 pm, Marwadi heard what he recalls as ''disturbing sounds'' from the rear portion of the bus.
Being on a highway, the bus was naturally speeding— "I think the bus was running at more than 95 kmph"— and this concerned Marwadi more. His fellow passengers were fast asleep and so the young engineer decided it was time to act on his own. He took the issue up with members of the staff seated towards the front of the bus. Marwadi alleged that they seemed to know what was going on but he was asked to go back to sleep anyway. He says they told him: "No need to worry, you please get back to your seat and sleep. I'll wake you up at Hebbal."
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46305076.cms?
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 14:06   #17239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Looks like this made to the front page of Bangalore Mirror! Thanks to gentleman the passengers are safe.

Alert techie fights arrogant bus staff, saves 40 lives

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46305076.cms?
Its not just about arrogant staff. Its about KSRTC being stupid. Plying a bus costing a good part of a crore and not providing the right tools to change even a bloody tyre - not even a torch. If that is what KSRTC (one of the better SRTCs and in general a prudent bunch) does, imagine the fly by night Volvo operators.

But yes, Kudos to Marwadi. He's saved many lives!
Old 21st February 2015, 01:04   #17240
Senior - BHPian

Not pointing fingers or anything but IIRC it was Volvo that pioneered the use of both seat belts and airbags. Ford like most of their US brethren was forced to offer safety features and make their vehicles safer by design via government legislation brought on by the efforts of the maverick 'Ralph Nader'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
By the way, talking about Ford cars and their safety, as far as I know, ford have always thought about the customer safety. They were the first car manufacturers to implement or should I say invent seat belts and also install Airbags in their cars at large scale (in 1971). And we know how safe these features are today!!!
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 07:28   #17241
Senior - BHPian

This just happened minutes before I reached, around 12.30am on MG Road, Mysore. Looks like the driver lost control and hit a streetlight on the median.

Driver was alive but with broken bones I guess, he was writhing in pain when others were helping him to be loaded on to the ambulance. Not sure if the driver was drunk

A pillar totally crumbled

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150221_003702001.jpg

Look where the steering wheel is. Its a miracle the driver came out alive

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150221_003758001.jpg
Old 21st February 2015, 09:04   #17242
BHPian

Another accident involving one of the leading operators of private bus services between Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6916329.ece
Old 21st February 2015, 11:21   #17243
BHPian

TRICHY: Trichy Corporation councillor R C Ganesan, 43, died when a car he was travelling in hit a Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation bus from behind at Thirumayam on Friday afternoon.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46319443.cms
Old 21st February 2015, 18:22   #17244
BHPian

MUMBAI: One killed and three others injured seriously after the i10 car in which they were travelling back to their Powai homes met with an accident on Friday

According to the survivors, the incident occurred after the car lost control and jumped the divider before crashing into a parked two-wheelers and later to a roadside tree. The car was heading towards Powai on LBS Marg when the mishap occurred.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46317885.cms
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:16   #17245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Another accident involving one of the leading operators of private bus services between Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram
Kallada? Few days back, I had spotted a completed burned-down Kallada bus parked between Mananthavadi and Kattikulam; vernacular reports had said that the bus, operating on the overnight route between Calicut and Bangalore via Mananthavady and Gonikoppal, spontaneously caught fire at 3:30 AM. Passengers could evacuate quickly so no casualties.

Press: http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle2669275.ece
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:25   #17246
Distinguished - BHPian

Not often does one find Fortuners smashed up so badly. Interesting part is, airbags haven't deployed. Found it parked at our local police station this morning. No idea of when and where this happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0810.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0811.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0812.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0813.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2015, 12:16   #17247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
This happened at a residential construction site where a biker got hit by the reckless truck driver.
According to the residents these truck drivers were often spotted driving carelessly in this area.
The rider is battling for his life.
I don't understand how the bike ended up that way in between the rear and front wheels of the truck. The bike seems to be a Bajaj Discover and a new one of course(No registration Number on the number plate). I hope rider survives and does a speedy recovery.
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:05   #17248
BHPian

Similar accident from the past-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...se-pg-7-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not often does one find Fortuners smashed up so badly. Interesting part is, airbags haven't deployed. Found it parked at our local police station this morning. No idea of when and where this happened.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd February 2015 at 22:18.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 00:23   #17249
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

On my way to Belgaum from Bangalore, somewhere near tumkur right right now, just saw a lorry burning and then due to the Chaos on the highway there was a hit and run case where a bike driver was hit and the accident was fatal, could not click pics.
Terrifying I must say!

Edit: Attachment 1342530

Seems like a lorry rear ended a crane and then the vehicles caught fire.

Last edited by Ashkait Kapoor : 23rd February 2015 at 00:42.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:28   #17250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Not pointing fingers or anything but IIRC it was Volvo that pioneered the use of both seat belts and airbags.
I source my information from Wikipedia & Google. As per that, Car manufacturers Nash (1949) and Ford (1955) started offering the seat belts as option. SaaB from Sweden started offering seat belts as standard in 1958.

Volvo introduced seat belts in 1959 which was developed by Nils Bohlin as standard equipment and was the modern 3-point seat belts.

Again all this information is from Wikipedia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks